Cleveland prostock

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Cleveland prostock

Post by Steve.k »

Does anyone know or remember what the old prostockers ran for gearing/ tire size?
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Cleveland prostock

Post by engineguyBill »

13x33 tire and 5:14 or 5:38 gears back in the small block days, I think.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

I think EB is pretty close. They also only had 4 gears. I'd suspect they had somewhere around a 2.90-3.10 first gear.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Thanks guys. Not as steep as i figured but i guess they were buzzing them to.
VegaJohn

Post by VegaJohn »

Steve.k wrote:Thanks guys. Not as steep as i figured but i guess they were buzzing them to.
When you consider that is 1/4mile they would have been up there in the RPMs for sure.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

VegaJohn wrote:
Steve.k wrote:Thanks guys. Not as steep as i figured but i guess they were buzzing them to.
When you consider that is 1/4mile they would have been up there in the RPMs for sure.
I was told that back in the '70's with around a 340 inch Cleveland that they would leave the line at about 10,500rpm and probably never drop below 9500rpm or so for the whole pass. Which when you look at the parts they were using, particularly the valve springs what they were doing was pretty darn amazing.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

No kidding and the guy i bought my heads from said he was using stock new blocks from ford. No furnace brazed liners for him. He said they never had much trouble with blocks. Just valves. Things never got better till they received new titanium valves from trw.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

5.43, 5.67,5.83 ratios and 14-32 Firestones in the small block era. Goodyear wasn't the best tire back then. Well that's what Dyno and Lee Hunter used.
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

piston guy wrote:5.43, 5.67,5.83 ratios and 14-32 Firestones in the small block era. Goodyear wasn't the best tire back then. Well that's what Dyno and Lee Hunter used.
No need for the "back then" in your 2nd sentence.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

turdwilly wrote:
piston guy wrote:5.43, 5.67,5.83 ratios and 14-32 Firestones in the small block era. Goodyear wasn't the best tire back then. Well that's what Dyno and Lee Hunter used.
No need for the "back then" in your 2nd sentence.
Makes me wonder when M/T came on the scene and how long it took him to be competitive? I have a set of M/T SBC alum rod's, probably 30 years old or better.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

GARY C wrote: Makes me wonder when M/T came on the scene and how long it took him to be competitive? I have a set of M/T SBC alum rod's, probably 30 years old or better.
I'm guessing, "or better".
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Most of them ran the Cleveland stock crank. When you figure hp ratings over 800hp. Nasty.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Steve.k wrote:Most of them ran the Cleveland stock crank. When you figure hp ratings over 800hp. Nasty.
Don't forget that they also turned them .300 under to a 2 inch rod throw. I don't think they made that kind of power back then, maybe a bit over 700 but still....
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

740 was REALLY good hp in 77-78. Cast cranks , 2" rod journals , 6" or longer rods ( C&A, BRC, Venolia, no M/T rods by then). There were only two tires offered , Firestone or Goodyear.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

piston guy wrote:740 was REALLY good hp in 77-78. Cast cranks , 2" rod journals , 6" or longer rods ( C&A, BRC, Venolia, no M/T rods by then). There were only two tires offered , Firestone or Goodyear.

M & H Racemaster slicks were also used extensively by Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock Competition Eliminator and other classes during that time period . . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist