Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Hip replacement questions.

Post by pdq67 »

I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM for surgery at 7:00 AM tomorrow.

I figured it would be early instead of at a sane time of day!!!

I will be back here after I get back home.

Later guys and gals.

pdq67
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

So Keith, I just wanted to thank you for the informative posts re: hip replacement. I may be a recipient if things don't lighten up. However, I've been going to the gym as of late and it's helped tremendously. Still, I've got more info thanks to you and I hope PDQ does well with his operation and does what his doctors tells him to do.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

DCal wrote:So Keith, I just wanted to thank you for the informative posts re: hip replacement. I may be a recipient if things don't lighten up. However, I've been going to the gym as of late and it's helped tremendously. Still, I've got more info thanks to you and I hope PDQ does well with his operation and does what his doctors tells him to do.
I'm glad it was helpful. Excersize and supplements (glucosomine and chondrotin) can buy you time. However, if the hip is arthritic/diseased, eventually it has to be replaced. It becomes a quality of life issue. You will know when it's time.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

They allowed me to go home at 3:00 PM today and believe it or not, the actual hip replacement surgery was easy to go through. I was knocked out and woke up about 2 to 2.5 hours later and it was over!

Now the HARD part is my pain management. I got off on my pill schedule this morning and before I knew it, my hip hurt like HELL!! The Nurses knew the deal so everything is fine now. (I'm basically taking HYDROCO/APAP TAB 5-325mg. Works pretty good but doesn't last long, imho).

I want to thank everybody that chimed in here and that gave me moral support!

THANKS!!!

pdq67
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

You need to keep up on the pain meds for a few days. If you get behind, it's hard to catch up. However, you should find that you can get completely off pain meds in a few days. It isn't the hip that hurts, it's the incisions and all the trauma from the operation.

The next step is the rehab. Hopefully everything is set up so you have someone is coming to the house to work with you. That is your job now, the more effort put into the rehab, the better the result.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Glad to hear that everything went will for you. =D>
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Per Keith Morganstein » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:54 pm above....

You need to keep up on the pain meds for a few days. If you get behind, it's hard to catch up. However, you should find that you can get completely off pain meds in a few days. It isn't the hip that hurts, it's the incisions and all the trauma from the operation.

The next step is the rehab. Hopefully everything is set up so you have someone is coming to the house to work with you. That is your job now, the more effort put into the rehab, the better the result."

She left about an hour or so ago and she said I'm doing fine! Showed me how to use my old cane to hook my foot with and help me get in and out of bed!

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

But my pain is still there and rough to deal with unless I take more than two tabs at a time and I don't want to go down that road.

How long will it be until the, "healing", pains go away?? It's been since Aug. 30th??

pdq67
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

pdq67 wrote:But my pain is still there and rough to deal with unless I take more than two tabs at a time and I don't want to go down that road.

How long will it be until the, "healing", pains go away?? It's been since Aug. 30th??

pdq67
Everyone is different, but with the last two hip ops, I was off narcotics three days after getting home. (Partly because pain was tolerable, and because narcotics don't agree with me). I also had a good RX non steroidal (like Advil or alieve, but better) it's one that you can take while on cumidin (blood thinners) I can't remember the name of it. Don't hesitate to contact your doctor.

Are you doing you excersizes and walking with crutches? I did at least five sets of excercises a day, and walked a lot. The excercises are tough at first, but I think it helps the pain and definately speeds recovery.

Think positive!
Last edited by Keith Morganstein on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

These are the exercises prescribed by my surgeon. Not saying you should do these or not. Might be something to compare to.
http://www.stephenmurphy.org/rehab/reha ... ng_thr.pdf
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Not that many, but the ones I am doing are on your Dr's list. Probably 10 to 12 exercises or so? They told me to do them twice a day and to make sure and count the, "hold", seconds because that's important.

I think that I tend to do them when I am on a pain pill or two, which allows me to over do it.

Then when the pills wear off, I really hurt.

pdq67
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

I assume they have you on warfarin to prevent blood clots?

Ask your doctor if you can take Celebrex or Vioxx.
Those are NASIDs you can take with blood thinners.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

No warfarin or antibiotics. Every time somebody comes around, I get my Temp., BP, and heart rate checked and they say all is good.

I don't have any crutches, but do go everywhere with my walker. I try to shift my, "walking", gate from side to side to equalize my hip, "pressures".

I also try to use my cane when I feel good. I really like it, but I am a little worried about falling so don't use it as much as I would like to.

And thanks again Keith for chatting about this with me!

The sun is slowly coming up here and I figure another dry day. We really need some rain.

Have a nice day!

pdq67
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

pdq67 wrote:No warfarin or antibiotics. Every time somebody comes around, I get my Temp., BP, and heart rate checked and they say all is good.

I don't have any crutches, but do go everywhere with my walker. I try to shift my, "walking", gate from side to side to equalize my hip, "pressures".

I also try to use my cane when I feel good. I really like it, but I am a little worried about falling so don't use it as much as I would like to.

And thanks again Keith for chatting about this with me!

The sun is slowly coming up here and I figure another dry day. We really need some rain.

Have a nice day!

pdq67
Then you might try some Advil or Alieve (Ibuprofen or naproxen) to help with the pain.

Take care!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I'm taking Hydrocodone APAP, 5-325 and Tramadol for my pain.

I just don't like doing so because of them being, "drugs", is all.

But I gotta do what I gotta do..

pdq67