Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

woody b
Guru
Guru
Eclipse maddness

Post by woody b »

The solar eclipse has people going crazy around here. We're just outside the edge of the total eclipse zone. All kinds of stores have been selling "eclipse glasses". They started out at $1.99 per pair a few weeks ago but they're up to and over $10 per pair now. Interstate 85 has big digital signs where various messages are posted. For the last week the message is "Solar Eclipse Aug 21. Expect delays, plan ahead". Why are there going to be delays on the Interstate due to the eclipse? Are people going be trying to drive with their "eclipse glasses" on, or do they not know they can turn their headlights on when it gets dark? There's quite a few solar farms around here. (due to government subsidies). There's been articles in the paper and on the local news about solar power dropping off during the eclipse. Some of the news people were speculating about the power companies ability to generate enough power during the solar drop off. Where does the power come from at night? My wife, her sister and her sisters husband went out to eat last night. There was a line at Krispy Kreem doughnuts that was at least 1/4 mile long. There was selling "eclipse doughnuts". "They've" been warning people for weeks not to look at the sun without the proper eye protection. Are people really that dumb? Someone posted concerns on fakebook about dogs hurting their eyes looking at the eclipse. I posted that dogs are smarter than that, but I told my 3 dogs not to look at the Sun.

The last total solar eclipse around here was in 1984. I was working but we took a short break to look at it through a welding helmet but there wasn't all this madness going on.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Re: Eclipse maddness

Post by Dave Koehler »

I fortunately picked up the 1 dollar glasses at Walmart to cover the family and grandkids. Good thing I did. They ran out really fast. Fellow I know there said the brass was shocked but happy.
Just for curiosity, the CL idiots had the same glasses for 45.00. Too funny. Probably sold them due to the hysteria.

Watched the last one (not full) around 1970 with a pin hole on top of a car hood. This time was more interesting. I'm not in the total path. Got about 95%. Dropped about 5 degrees, looked like about 7:00 and the Cicadas were confused. They would wake up, start chattering and then go oh, it's not really time and shut up.
This happened about 3 times.
All in all an interesting thing to see.
Told the wife to save the glasses for the next time but we will probably forget where we saved them.

My Miller helmet worked well for this.
Do you know what you see if you wear the glasses and then put on the Miller helmet? Absolutely nothing. Had to try.

I am curious to see what NASA publishes later on.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

I survived it here. It was 98% or so. I start work at 3pm. The height of the eclipse was around 2:30. People were posting of fakebook that Interstate 85 (where I drive to work) was a parking lot so I left for work early. There was no traffic. It was less traffic than a Sunday morning. It was total/100% about 50 miles south. Maybe that's where the traffic problems were. According to the radio all of the Interstate rest areas were closed. There was signs along the Interstate saying no stopping or pulling over.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

A guy has ta make a f** $Buck, right!

I had my Dr's appointment hurried up so I could go outside and watch it! The office Ladies were fine with it!

I got outside and a Lady walked by and gave me a pair of glasses in a cellophane package.

I thanked her.

Anyway, as it started right at 1:13PM here, I noticed that once the Sun was, "blacked out", completely, that I could look at it without the glasses on. All I saw was the black center with a nice light ring around it! BUT had to have them on once the Moon moved off the face of the Sun.

Way cool!! I was really expecting the, "Witches/Druids/whatever", here in town to come out dancing! Between the occult and the f** queers, we have a town full of them here in Columbia, MO!! But doesn't most all College towns have them??

pdq67
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

It was only about 70% where I am. I used an old mig welding shield.
The ambient daylight was notably different, as if the sun was on a dimmer switch.
Hope I'm around for the next one. Should be 90% or better around these parts.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.