EFI pump regulated to carb?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

77cruiser
Guru
Guru

EFI pump regulated to carb?

Post by 77cruiser »

I want to try an EFI in tank pump. Not sure on the regulator.
I have an Edlebrock 174133 & when trying it with air it doesn't regulate down far enough, it will go to about 14 from 90.
Would it be different with fuel or would I get the same results?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-174133
Jim
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: EFI pump regulated to carb?

Post by cjperformance »

What is the flow rating on your pump?
Craig.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Even if you could get it regulated way down to the required fuel pressure of 6 - 7 psi, the efi pump is way overkill and would heat up your fuel substantially due to the constant pressurizing of fuel and sending it back into the fuel tank.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

320 LPH so 84 gal. p hr.
Jim
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

It all depends on how you do it.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

joe 90 wrote:It all depends on how you do it.
As in.
Jim
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

Belgian1979 wrote:Even if you could get it regulated way down to the required fuel pressure of 6 - 7 psi, the efi pump is way overkill and would heat up your fuel substantially due to the constant pressurizing of fuel and sending it back into the fuel tank.
Except for the reg pressure setting, isn't that exactly the way the pump operates in an EFI situation? In fact, seeing the reg would be set at a much lower pressure for a carb, the pump wouldn't be working against much of a head at all so it wouldn't be supplying as much power and ultimately heat into the fuel as it would in an EFI setup. Lots and lots of flow though.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Circlotron wrote:
Belgian1979 wrote:Even if you could get it regulated way down to the required fuel pressure of 6 - 7 psi, the efi pump is way overkill and would heat up your fuel substantially due to the constant pressurizing of fuel and sending it back into the fuel tank.
Except for the reg pressure setting, isn't that exactly the way the pump operates in an EFI situation? In fact, seeing the reg would be set at a much lower pressure for a carb, the pump wouldn't be working against much of a head at all so it wouldn't be supplying as much power and ultimately heat into the fuel as it would in an EFI setup. Lots and lots of flow though.

That was my thought.
Jim
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

As a bare minimum , you start with the pump, an EFI type regulator and a return line back to the tank.
Then from that primary pressure,(2 bar ish as a minimum) )you can regulate it down using a carburetor type regulator to the carburettor.

Even a 255 litre/hr pump will outflow most EFI regulators so you need either a very high flow reg (or multiple FPRs), or better still you use a 2 stage switch for the pump using a resistor.Most aftermarket FPRs are adjustable so you can turn the pressure down to minimum.
Better still you can go for a PWM drive for the pump.

But if you're going to that trouble, you'd want to get rid of the carburettor too?

But there's always more than one way to do everything.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Circlotron wrote:
You're better off using pwm to adjust the pump flow.
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

I used my EFI fuel system to run a carb for two years when I got mad at Fast and swore off EFI for a while.
I had the Aeromotive 340 pump and regulator. Just swapped springs in the regulator AND I have to use a 1/2" return line to get the pressure down to a consistent 6psi.
If you are really serious you could get a pump controller setup that uses a pressure sensor in the fuel line and set the amount of pressure you want, it will slow the pump down to maintain your pressure set point. Vaporworx has a setup like this.
Tom
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

any efi unit will be able to put out a pwm signal. Use a Ford FPDM an your set for around 50 bucks. Fool proof. I use one in order to reduce the pump speed because it makes too much noise at low engine speeds and heats up the fuel considerably. Of course in a efi setup, you would be circulating fuel through the fuel logs that are mounted on the engine. That in itself heats up fuel enough.

If you use a pwm control, you have to either use it in closed loop with a dead head system or in open loop with a return style system. Closed loop and return style do not work and the regulator and closed loop control will be fighting eachother.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

FuelieNova wrote:I used my EFI fuel system to run a carb for two years when I got mad at Fast and swore off EFI for a while.
I had the Aeromotive 340 pump and regulator. Just swapped springs in the regulator AND I have to use a 1/2" return line to get the pressure down to a consistent 6psi.
If you are really serious you could get a pump controller setup that uses a pressure sensor in the fuel line and set the amount of pressure you want, it will slow the pump down to maintain your pressure set point. Vaporworx has a setup like this.
Tom

↑↑↑ yes,, you need a very low restriction return line otherwise and pressure seen in the return will affect pressure at the carb. Depending on how many bends etc, sometimes you need a return line larger than the feed line to get accurate control at the carb.
Craig.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

joe 90 wrote:As a bare minimum , you start with the pump, an EFI type regulator and a return line back to the tank.
Then from that primary pressure,(2 bar ish as a minimum) )you can regulate it down using a carburetor type regulator to the carburettor.

Even a 255 litre/hr pump will outflow most EFI regulators so you need either a very high flow reg (or multiple FPRs), or better still you use a 2 stage switch for the pump using a resistor.Most aftermarket FPRs are adjustable so you can turn the pressure down to minimum.
Better still you can go for a PWM drive for the pump.

But if you're going to that trouble, you'd want to get rid of the carburettor too?

But there's always more than one way to do everything.
Good answer!
hondo383
Pro
Pro

Post by hondo383 »

What size is your return line/any restrictions to the tank?that reg should be fine but the return line capacity to the tank has to be equal or greater than the feed line capacity..i use a Mallory 4309 usually and have to put a bulkhead and tube in the tank for return. For a test just put a bigger hose on the return and dump it into a bucket, see if you can get the pressure down further

Edit yall above beat me to it lol