Race Engine Challenge

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

nitro2
Vendor

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by nitro2 »

In-Tech wrote:What could we learn if each engine had in-cylinder pressure equipment? :mrgreen: That would be cool alongside the dyno sheets. =D>

Yeah probably learn some stuff LOL.
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

Stan Weiss wrote:Doing a standard xxx RPM dyno test has the engine see a variable load during the dyno test.

The inertia dyno will have a fixed load on the engine and show a variable RPM acceleration. The highest RPM acceleration rate will be around peak torque.

Stan
Average HP does not necessarily equate to the best engine in either scenario. The best engine can be figured out from both types of dyno tests, but the standard dyno requires some "more than basic math" to do it, and the inertia dyno can be done with direct measurement, provided the right thing is measured.
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I would like to see rules that motivated innovation/fabrication rather than use of "off the shelf" parts.

Recombining decades old parts has become way past boring.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

The best dyno for this test would be the dyno Mike laws built and sold to that other company I can't think of right now.

That would be the dyno you want.

Revolution dyno or something. Sucks being old.
TexBlackwell

Post by TexBlackwell »

I'm sure there is going to be late model Hemi and LS engine so SBC engines should be allowed any valve angle head
and 55MM cam cores.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Why don't you skip the Dyno and put everyone's engine on a dragster and run for best et. It is a race engine challenge not a Dyno challenge. I don't care about what Dyno number a computer picks for me, I care how fast my car is. Set the trans type as powerglide and you bring your best engine combo, trans and converter. Brings more sponsorship to the event too. Trans companies and converter companies. Something different to think about.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Some of these extremely expensive, time consuming and almost impossible suggestions are rather humorous. \:D/

Especially ones by those who have no inkling of ever placing their own entry into one of these competitions. :roll:
Last edited by Walter R. Malik on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

cgarb wrote:Why don't you skip the Dyno and put everyone's engine on a dragster and run for best et. It is a race engine challenge not a Dyno challenge. I don't care about what Dyno number a computer picks for me, I care how fast my car is. Set the trans type as powerglide and you bring your best engine combo, trans and converter. Brings more sponsorship to the event too. Trans companies and converter companies. Something different to think about.
i like this idea tell everyone bring your converter and conversion to this bell housing and motor plates that fit this chassis, let them know what the car weights and what gear is in the rearend, tire height and what low is in the powerglide. then make them hot lap it three times and quickest average wins.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Walter R. Malik wrote:Some of these extremely expensive, time consuming and almost impossible suggestions are rather humorous. \:D/

Especially ones by those who have no inkling of ever placing their own entry into one of these competitions. :roll:
Walter,
Want they want is to spend your money and have you do the work, but have you build what they want. :lol:

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I'll start a contest where I will build something I'm really good at...like left hand permalloy wingdingers. I have you know I build the best left hand permalloy wingdinger in the country. So If I start my own contest building something that nobody else builds or cares about...who cares. It takes special kind of people to want to go to an engine masters challenge. Trying to get more people to participate and watch or whatever is a difficult task. I would love to build an engine for any of the challenges, but I'm broke from racing. If I owned my own shop where I had access to my own machines I would be more tempted. If I owned my own shop I would hopefully be busy building and machining customers engines making money. For those of you that enter I give you props...not easy to do and not cheap.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

cgarb wrote:I'll start a contest where I will build something I'm really good at...like left hand permalloy wingdingers. I have you know I build the best left hand permalloy wingdinger in the country. So If I start my own contest building something that nobody else builds or cares about...who cares. It takes special kind of people to want to go to an engine masters challenge. Trying to get more people to participate and watch or whatever is a difficult task. I would love to build an engine for any of the challenges, but I'm broke from racing. If I owned my own shop where I had access to my own machines I would be more tempted. If I owned my own shop I would hopefully be busy building and machining customers engines making money. For those of you that enter I give you props...not easy to do and not cheap.

Just exactly how much does one of your special permalloy wingdingers cost?

How many do I have to buy to get the volume discount?
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

They are quite expensive...lol. A wise man once told me "Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay..." If that clues you in to what a left hand permalloy wingdinger would be worth.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Stan Weiss wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:Some of these extremely expensive, time consuming and almost impossible suggestions are rather humorous. \:D/

Walter,
Want they want is to spend your money and have you do the work, but have you build what they want. :lol:

Stan
And publicize the detail's of your build so it can be copied. :D
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

If it is a "Race Engine Challenge" then pick a race class and have everyone build an engine for that class under their rule restriction...After all that is what Race Engine builders do isn't it?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

They already have that...it's called Prostock. Rolling dyno's. That's a good idea though, using a known class rules to build to. Would be interesting to see if some of the builders that are in the winners cars could be bested by some other people. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes on a project can see something that people who work with them everyday overlook out of complacency.