2814 super victor spacer recommendations

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

In-Tech
Vendor

2814 super victor spacer recommendations

Post by In-Tech »

Continuing on from this thread http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopi ... 8&start=30

I am curious what shape spacers you guys have had good luck with in conjunction with this manifold. I will be going back to the chassis dyno Friday, baseline that morn, remove intake and port, reinstall and check, then try as many spacers as I can come up with. If there seems to be a pattern of which one you guys think works the best then of course I will make sure I have one on hand as well as others. I'm hoping to hang a vacuum pump on it by this Friday too.

Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: 2814 super victor spacer recommendations

Post by mag2555 »

If your Carb is on the cfm small side for your motors needs then more Plenum volume will help , but since your running a SV Manifold I can't see you needing more then a 1" spacer, so starting off with a 1/2" should be done.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Great gains In-Tech!!! What were the before and after cams?
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Thanks Jody, I'll post all the specs soon. Still in hospital and not feeling too hot.
It had the 604 cam, 474/510 211/229 112 I believe.
-Carl
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hello,
I was wrong on the 604 cam, it is 208/221 @ .050 .474/.510 112 LC 1.5 RKR
IO -8 EC -1.5
IC 36 EO 44.5

Since I don't know much about the GM lobes I had to guestimate the change to the Erson lobes I chose.

I wanted to close the intake valve around 8 degrees later to add upper rpm power and give it some overlap(I chose 26 degrees based on experience and calculated guestimate :mrgreen: ) to aid in the cylinder charge so moving stuff around I came up with this for available lobes:
IO 13 EC 13
EC 45 EO 45

Which is (RH298/365) 238/238 @.050 .584/548 106LC 1.6/1.5 RKR

All of this was to have the same lower rpm power so I didn't upset the car coming off the corner(small tire rule) and give it more power down the straight. All of this worked out as planned as you can tell by the dyno sheet(there's a link in first post of this thread). The dyno sheet is in MPH but you can guess by looking that peak power is roughly 6500RPM(rev limit was 6800) and I don't want to turn it higher due to stock shortlblock.

I am making some changes to the shortblock now to safely turn more RPM so this cam is for sale if anyone needs it.

I am installing 4340 I-Beam 6" rods and forged pistons and plan to turn ~7100RPM. New cam will be R306/365 108LC
IO 15 EC 15
IC 51 EO 51

Closing the intake another 6 degrees later and adding 4 degrees of overlap should put me right in the RPM band I want. The new pistons and decking the block for more compression will help gain back the bottom end power I will lose with this cam.

Due to health issues I was not able to port the intake but will do so with this effort. I was able to try a few spacers and will report with pictures after the next round as I will go through all of that again. The biggest thing I was able to confirm is the spacer shape affects the signal to the boosters which affects the AFR so you chase that and find there isn't a whole lot of difference between spacers once you correct the fuel curve. I'm not saying there isn't a better spacer than another as I did find the best for my combo and it was worth a solid 6hp above what we were running before.

I will post dyno results when finished. :)
-Carl
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Good info In-Tech!! Looked back and couldn't find what carb you're running. I'd bet some time spent on the 2814 plenum along with some detail work will hit your goal. You've already seen the juggling match with carbs/spacers/booster response:) So I'll wish you good luck on your engine optimization:)
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

JodyB wrote:Good info In-Tech!! Looked back and couldn't find what carb you're running. I'd bet some time spent on the 2814 plenum along with some detail work will hit your goal. You've already seen the juggling match with carbs/spacers/booster response:) So I'll wish you good luck on your engine optimization:)
I will spend some time on the manifold. It has had a couple "pro" 750 holleys with downlegs and screw air bleeds, one has 4 circuit emulsion bleeds that I am playing with and the other has "stock" (not size) 3 emulsion hole holley stuff. I am building one with annular boosters now, it's a leftover crapola that I am boring the venturi and blending then installing the annulars. Could be a POS when all done. :lol:

Look what I found upon disassembly.
20170808_163253.jpg
I think that was done during assembly at GM since they snap these together in just a few seconds or minutes. I hope to have this together with new caps, cam, 6" rods/pistons 1.0 1.0 2.0mm rings, a vacuum pump and on the chassis dyno by this coming weekend. I'll keep everyone posted :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Carl
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Look for some of randy331 posts on tuning up the fastburn and bowtievortec heads. He's got a good handle on making them really work! If you aren't restricted on spacer height, I'd take a whole pile to the dyno session. Good luck!
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Thank you Jody, I will look for Randys posts.

The 2814 is already an inch taller than the GMPP manifold so the 1" spacer affected the hood/body a bit and I don't think I dare do any more than the 1".

Has anyone else seen a broken cap like this? It's in a strange spot which makes me think it happened at the factory during assembly. I sent the crank out to get wet mag'd, will v-block it for straightness if ok.

They relaxed the rules a bit so I'm having fun tweaking stuff. 8)
-Carl