Motorcyle Racing Engines (antique)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Motorcyle Racing Engines (antique)

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Good look at Indian ported cylinders in this link.
https://www.yesterdays.nl/product/india ... ?pdf=24425
I can't imagine that the piston ring travel is below those ports? However you see flames from them in operation (in the night video link in my first post)

It looks as cylinder ports are at different heights on the lower cylinders on different engines? Different aspect in each photo tho
Last edited by Keith Morganstein on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

image.jpg
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

60 years of 2-stroke development tells u that a ring stack can safely pass across a port much wider than you would suspect, but Kawasaki "H" experience tells us that a narrow bridge overheats and bows into the cylinder and breaks the ring.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

panic wrote:60 years of 2-stroke development tells u that a ring stack can safely pass across a port much wider than you would suspect, but Kawasaki "H" experience tells us that a narrow bridge overheats and bows into the cylinder and breaks the ring.
No problem with rings passing by ports. The two stroke diesels have many large ports and not an issue. Interesting on the kawis, I wasn't breaking rings, just scuffing/ seizing the middle piston.

It's the combustion exiting the ports on these antiques that intrigues me. I wonder if combustion is passing by the rings, because it doesn't look as if the piston can go low enough in the cylinder at BDC to expose the top of the piston.
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

this is the best book that I have seen about old racing bikes: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Motor-C ... 0600363422

Erland
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Erland Cox wrote:this is the best book that I have seen about old racing bikes: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Motor-C ... 0600363422

Erland
Thanks, book ordered
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

In researching these motorcycles, I find the "Cyclone" it was an OHC v-twin with bevel cam drive, hemi chamber heads, roller bearing lower end, it made a remarkable 45 HP from 61 cu/in, (for way back in 1915) and it had a 115+ top speed.
image.jpg
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

image.jpg
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Keith Morganstein wrote:In researching these motorcycles, I find the "Cyclone" it was an OHC v-twin with bevel cam drive, hemi chamber heads, roller bearing lower end, it made a remarkable 45 HP from 61 cu/in, (for way back in 1915) and it had a 115+ top speed.
image.jpg
That is good hp/ci for the day.
jsachs1

Post by jsachs1 »

Get hold of Billy Lane @ Choppers, Inc.
He's in Daytona Bch. Beville Rd.. Seems the board track bikes has taken over his business.
John