General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Re: for what it is worth, bushed vs needle roller lifters

Post by j-c-c »

The Radius Kid wrote:
turdwilly wrote:Perhaps the benefit of pressurized oiling through the needle bearings of the lifter is not so much from the standpoint of lubrication, but of cooling?
Correct.
Based on what? We are starting to go in circles it seems (pun intended), many have made the case the main advantage of needles is less friction, less friction means less heat, the reason given for bushings as a poorer choice is they have more friction, but they require pressurized oil, to reduce friction with an oil wedge and therefore reduces heat, but still need "cooling"? I have not seen the case made needles need to be "cooled" by pressurized oil so much as that they need lubrication, which i am sure we all agree has to remove some heat regardless. Where the heat is actually generated locally to or by the roller, and greater by which roller, I believe is the concern.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

j-c-c wrote:
The Radius Kid wrote:
turdwilly wrote:Perhaps the benefit of pressurized oiling through the needle bearings of the lifter is not so much from the standpoint of lubrication, but of cooling?
Correct.
Based on what? We are starting to go in circles it seems (pun intended), many have made the case the main advantage of needles is less friction, less friction means less heat, the reason given for bushings as a poorer choice is they have more friction, but they require pressurized oil, to reduce friction with an oil wedge and therefore reduces heat, but still need "cooling"? I have not seen the case made needles need to be "cooled" by pressurized oil so much as that they need lubrication, which i am sure we all agree has to remove some heat regardless. Where the heat is actually generated locally to or by the roller, and greater by which roller, I believe is the concern.
With a needle you don't have a wedge forming as you have a very small contact patch. There is metal to metal contact, which is not there if bushing functions as intended. Therein lies the advantage of a bushing imo. However, I'm sceptical about a perfect oil wedge from being formed.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Warp Speed wrote:
At idle and low speed, what is the rpm of the roller wheel, and how much does this rpm change as it rolls around the lobe, assuming constant contact?
At this rpm, with solid roller lash, is the inertia weight of the wheel itself enough to cause a rapid change above surface/lobe speed in the short time cam is on the base circle? Or are you saying the roller actually stops?
Is that what we're trying to cure with a rev kit or?
Thankfully Bill saved the me wheel speed the math in his post.
Im dont think the roller ever actually stops , as said in the other thread I moreso think that the slowing of the wheel on closing then the unloading of the wheel at lash allows the needles to "unload" and bunch up and upon reload at the start of opening the needles resettle and rattle/vibrate which damages them , the wheel and the axle. This leads (all else being well) to needle failure at which point the wheel could definetly stop, skid badly and the rest is history.
I think the rev kit simply 'helps' keep everything more evenly loaded at low rpms which just helps to really slow down the damage when talking a lot of street type use.
Craig.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Geoff2 wrote:Warpspeed,
Lots of criticism of me by you, but no answers or objective opposing views. Just criticism. Any idiot can do that. There must be an agenda that I am missing...
Not criticizing you, just your constant comparison of wheel bearings and u joints to roller lifter operation. They are similar as far as they both use roller bearings. But that is where the similarities end! IMO
Sure, you can use a little engine oil for lubrication of wheel bearings (been done in Nascar many times for super speedway qualifying) and I guess you could do something similar for a u joint. But unless they are ran for very short duration, or at very low speeds and loads, they will fail in a short period.
Both are typically greased, which imparts a stronger film than a little bit of 5-30 or whatever engine oil?
Which brings us back to the pressurized oiling being a marketing gimmick portion of the thread.
As with flat tappets (apples and oranges to rollers but..) roller lifter damage is agravated by low oiling during low speeds. At low rpm, oil flow and pressure is down, so the amount of oil getting thrown around to use for splash oiling is far less than at higher speeds. Same even when pressurized oiling to the wheel is used. The constant leak path of oem oiling design can lead to starvation/low flow even when pressurized. This starvation doesn't help the tiny needle bearing maintain its lubrication wedge (low surface speeds And flow). It is Amazing how many of these symptoms go away when correct oil paths and strategies are used.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

OK,after 6 pages of this stuff,I talked to Danny at RCR,he said most cup teams run the Jesel lifter.So if you figure the engine is made to last 700 miles that is 2800 1/4 mile passes.This is the lifter they run and they are needle bearings.Tom
http://www.jesel.com/valvetrain/index.p ... ers/keyway
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Although the numbers are relatively small compared to needle designs, there are many thousands of bushed lifters in service on the street and in race apps. Can anyone provide details/pix of roller failures of same?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

tjs44 wrote:OK,after 6 pages of this stuff,I talked to Danny at RCR,he said most cup teams run the Jesel lifter.So if you figure the engine is made to last 700 miles that is 2800 1/4 mile passes.This is the lifter they run and they are needle bearings.Tom
Glad Danny cleared that up for us! :P
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

Warp Speed wrote:
tjs44 wrote:OK,after 6 pages of this stuff,I talked to Danny at RCR,he said most cup teams run the Jesel lifter.So if you figure the engine is made to last 700 miles that is 2800 1/4 mile passes.This is the lifter they run and they are needle bearings.Tom
Glad Danny cleared that up for us! :P
Jay, I just spilled my drink all over me... LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Isn't it also true that NASCAR doesn't allow a bushing lifter to be used? Only the needle bearing type are legal.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

DaveMcLain wrote:
Isn't it also true that NASCAR doesn't allow a bushing lifter to be used? Only the needle bearing type are legal.
Yep! LOL
Not all manufactures offer them so.........?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Dragsinger wrote:Mike Jones, please be nice to me, I am old, besides, I have a gas oven.
I was just saying that, how a bushing lifter acts/feels without pressurized oil to it, tells you nothing.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

DaveMcLain wrote:
That kind of negates the "NASCAR runs Needles because they are better" argument doesn't it?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

GARY C wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:
That kind of negates the "NASCAR runs Needles because they are better" argument doesn't it?
Does it?!?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Warp Speed wrote:
GARY C wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:
Does it?!?
Yes it does!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

It does leave one wondering why. It's not like bushed rollers add significant cost to a maybe $5,000+ cam/lifter combo or have cataclysmic failure modes, or... Why would they need to mandate a better choice? e.g. "Minimum compression ratio: 11.6:1"
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.