General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

plovett
Expert
Expert

Re: Race Engine Challenge

Post by plovett »

nitro2 wrote:
plovett wrote: I think average hp is what really matters when accelerating a vehicle.

paulie
It matters, but you can have two engines with the same average HP over the same rpm range and depending on the shape of the HP curve, one will accelerate the same car with the same gearing, quicker than the other.
I'm definitely with you there. But now we're going to have drag race these engines with optimized gearing........
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

plovett wrote:
nitro2 wrote:
plovett wrote: I think average hp is what really matters when accelerating a vehicle.

paulie
It matters, but you can have two engines with the same average HP over the same rpm range and depending on the shape of the HP curve, one will accelerate the same car with the same gearing, quicker than the other.
I'm definitely with you there. But now we're going to have drag race these engines with optimized gearing........

LOL. Could be done with the right dyno type AND the right formula to go with it.
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

nitro2 wrote:
plovett wrote:
nitro2 wrote:

LOL. Could be done with the right dyno type AND the right formula to go with it.
Okay, but might it depend on all sorts of other variables like the weight and drag, of the hypothetical vehicle the engine is going in? Just for starters? Also length of race (mph), traction, number of gears, etc. etc. etc.

I'm for the K.I.S.S. principle whenever possible.

JMO,

paulie
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

plovett wrote:
nitro2 wrote:
plovett wrote:

Okay, but might it depend on all sorts of other variables like the weight and drag, of the hypothetical vehicle the engine is going in? Just for starters? Also length of race (mph), traction, number of gears, etc. etc. etc.

JMO,

paulie

Not really. You just want to race an engine, not a car.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

nitro2 wrote:
plovett wrote:
nitro2 wrote:

JMO,

paulie

I think the point of the contest is to "race" engines.
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

plovett wrote:
nitro2 wrote:
plovett wrote:

JMO,

paulie

Well that may be the "intended point" of the contest, but I have yet to see any EMC or other contest where an engine was effectively "raced" against the others, and for that matter precious few dyno tests from anywhere, ever, that accomplished it either.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

nitro2 wrote:
plovett wrote:
nitro2 wrote:

Well that may be the "intended point" of the contest, but I have yet to see any EMC or other contest where an engine was effectively "raced" against the others, and for that matter precious few dyno tests from anywhere, ever, that accomplished it either.
Okay, well I guess you need to start your own contest where all the engines are dyno-ed, then put in the same car, with optimized gearing for each engine, and run down the track, hopefully under the same weather conditions and with identical track prep, and driven equally well. That would be cool.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

plovett wrote:
nitro2 wrote:

Okay, well I guess you need to start your own contest where all the engines are dyno-ed, then put in the same car, with optimized gearing for each engine, and run down the track, hopefully under the same weather conditions and with identical track prep, and driven equally well. That would be cool.
Pretty much the same thing can be accomplished with an engine inertia dynomometer .. they can even simulate shifting gears and RPM drop.

Most are electric and around half a million dollars.
Last edited by Walter R. Malik on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
plovett wrote:
nitro2 wrote:

Pretty much the same thing can be accomplished with an engine inertia dynomometer .. they can even simulate shifting gears and RPM drop.

Most are electric and half a million dollars.
Sounds good to me. It would be interesting for sure.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

For the sake of progress and development, I think there should be two classes; NA and forced induction.

The competition would be to see who could develop the highest BMEP. Period. That would normalize
for size. A secondary option would be BMEP divided by rpm.
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

plovett wrote:
nitro2 wrote:
plovett wrote:

LOL. What happened to the KISS principle.

Yeah an inertia dynamometer is needed, then it needs to be run the right way.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

nitro2 wrote:
plovett wrote:
nitro2 wrote:

LOL. What happened to the KISS principle.

Yeah an inertia dynamometer is needed, then it needs to be run the right way.
These are your ideas, not mine. I was just trying to be nice.

I like just averaging hp over the specified rpm range. Simple and useful.
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

An inertia dynamometer with the right measurement parameter, is a lot better test than a regular dyno sweep test, and every bit as simple (assuming performed without gear changes and all that sort of thing). It's just not cheap.

That being said, one could also take a regular dyno sweep test and determine which engine would win on an inertia dyno roll on test, still keeping with the KISS principle. Just a formula, and all these contests use formulas of one sort or another to determine the winner.

Average HP is fine if there is a significant difference in average HP between 2 engines, but it's just not a good way to evaluate 2 engines that have pretty close to the same average HP.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

What could we learn if each engine had in-cylinder pressure equipment? :mrgreen: That would be cool alongside the dyno sheets. =D>
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Doing a standard xxx RPM dyno test has the engine see a variable load during the dyno test.

The inertia dyno will have a fixed load on the engine and show a variable RPM acceleration. The highest RPM acceleration rate will be around peak torque.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV