Keith Black piston clearance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: Keith Black

Post by cjperformance »

Steve.k wrote:I use cleveland intakes and spacers. The 550 hp one had holley strip dominator. This one will have torker.
Ah cool, is that the Price Motorsports spacers? I have not used them, do they fit well?
Craig.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

The last engine had spacers built by MPG Heads,I did order Price for this one yes.The mpg plates did fit good!
496blaze

Post by 496blaze »

I had a set of these in a BBC that were made under size and the block was a little over the nominal .040 bore size. Horrible noise when cold!

I will never ever use their pistons in anything I build or own. Poor customer service and poor quality control.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

496blaze wrote:I had a set of these in a BBC that were made under size and the block was a little over the nominal .040 bore size. Horrible noise when cold!

I will never ever use their pistons in anything I build or own. Poor customer service and poor quality control.
This is why you measure pistons first and size bores second ! Or if you are stuck with a bore size , contact the piston maker before ordering and request a measurement or a specific piston size, if they wont do that - go elsewhere.
I have had only one problem KB piston, when it arrived and I measured them up, one piston was the same as the rest at measure point but half a thou less than the rest at the bottom of the skirt. They agreed to send me another piston and upon realising I am in Australia they didnt even want to bother getting the dud one back. Imo their service was good and the pistons are fine.
Craig.
496blaze

Post by 496blaze »

cjperformance wrote:
496blaze wrote:I had a set of these in a BBC that were made under size and the block was a little over the nominal .040 bore size. Horrible noise when cold!

This is why you measure pistons first and size bores second ! Or if you are stuck with a bore size , contact the piston maker before ordering and request a measurement or a specific piston size, if they wont do that - go elsewhere.
I have had only one problem KB piston, when it arrived and I measured them up, one piston was the same as the rest at measure point but half a thou less than the rest at the bottom of the skirt. They agreed to send me another piston and upon realising I am in Australia they didnt even want to bother getting the dud one back. Imo their service was good and the pistons are fine.
I paid good money to have the block machined and parts sourced. I did do the assembly and like a dummy assumed the clearances were right. After running the engine for a short time and thinking I built a diesel, i took it apart and measured everything after spending about 800 bucks on mics and a bore gauge. The pistons were about .0015 undersize at the measuring point. All of them. This along with the block being about.001 over .040 made for about .005 piston to wall clearance. Sent them back to KB and they too admitted they were all undersize, They refused to even replace the pistons since the engine had been started. I told them to throw their pistons in the trash where they belong!
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

0.005" is good... if you have a 6" bore!
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

With no warranty recourse, that would have been a good application for Line2Line's abradable coating..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.