Ford 5.4 rebuild help

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JonKaase
Pro
Pro
Ford 5.4 rebuild help

Post by JonKaase »

After 455,000 miles, we are rebuilding the 5.4 motor in my Harley truck. (Factory blower)
If we reuse the rod and main bolts, what would be the torque needed to make them happy? I think they are torque to yield. So you can't torque to an angle like new bolts. Will this work? Kaase
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Re: Ford 5.4 rebuild help

Post by DaveMcLain »

JonKaase wrote:After 455,000 miles, we are rebuilding the 5.4 motor in my Harley truck. (Factory blower)
If we reuse the rod and main bolts, what would be the torque needed to make them happy? I think they are torque to yield. So you can't torque to an angle like new bolts. Will this work? Kaase

That's the engine that beat my T bucket when we raced at the drag strip!

On the last one of those I rebuilt a couple of months ago I used new bolts from Ford in the rods and mains, even though many people re use the stock bolts including the 90 degree torque to yield step. I didn't do that because I didn't know how many times this engine had been apart. In your case you could probably use them again without trouble.

I just looked and the part number is F3LY-6214-A for the rods.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: Ford 5.4 rebuild help

Post by Carnut1 »

I would not reuse a torque to yield fastener! If I had before and after fastener length records maybe, if the length returned to the original length but the definition of torque to yield lets you know that the fastener is a one time use item. Too risky for an engine that has been so reliable. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST