Self aligning rockers and adjustable guide plates?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Self aligning rockers and adjustable guide plates?

Post by BOOT »

Ok stupid question time!

I know your not suppose to use self aligning rockers and guide plates!

BUT........ anyone try adjustable guide plates with self aligning rockers???

Didn't want to high jack another thread but when I read a comment it made me think. I know you don't use them together but I honestly never really put too much thought into exactly why and it seems it could be just a standard/fixed/one piece guide plate problem.

INC post about asking a stupid question and so on.....
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: Self aligning rockers and adjustable guide plates?

Post by pamotorman »

I would guess this would have to be done if using solid lifter cams along with a narrow feeler gauge to set the lash.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

The main thing is that they don't work against each other but I am sure you know that. I have seen it done before, one thought is less push rod flex and a rocker that stays more centered on the valve tip.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Guess I don't see the point. Both align the rocker with the valve stem tip. Why would a person need two systems doing the same thing, possibly binding and creating more friction?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

It's not something I'll prob try anytime soon it just occurred to me that it should be possible with adj plates. I still think the pushrod side is the best way to align the rocker, but in some cases were the added stability is needed and options limited. I never considered SA rockers to be great or you'd be able to find them in a bigger selection and of course shafts are more ideal than either.

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

SupStk wrote:Guess I don't see the point. Both align the rocker with the valve stem tip. Why would a person need two systems doing the same thing, possibly binding and creating more friction?
Because now you are controlling the rocker from both ends instead of just from one end via a device that is 2" down on a push rod that is not actually connected to the rocker.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

GARY C wrote:
SupStk wrote:Guess I don't see the point. Both align the rocker with the valve stem tip. Why would a person need two systems doing the same thing, possibly binding and creating more friction?
Because now you are controlling the rocker from both ends instead of just from one end via a device that is 2" down on a push rod that is not actually connected to the rocker.
Still not sure that is the best idea I've heard. Years ago had a Ford 302 in the shop. The guy who assembled it had 289 heads with the pushrod slots and rail rockers on it. The engine came in for excessive oil consumption and fouling plugs. After looking at the guide wear there was little doubt where the oil was going.

That aside, aftermarket vortec rockers warn against using pushrod guide with those rockers. Wonder why they would do that? :roll:
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
HotRodRay

Post by HotRodRay »

Worth noting is that rail rockers require longer valve tips above the keepers. Rail rockers have been rumored to unlatch keepers on the short tips.

Ford went to rail rockers because it was cheaper $ than machining the guide holes in the head... seems Chevy did the same thing.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

BOOT wrote:It's not something I'll prob try anytime soon it just occurred to me that it should be possible with adj plates. I still think the pushrod side is the best way to align the rocker, but in some cases were the added stability is needed and options limited. I never considered SA rockers to be great or you'd be able to find them in a bigger selection and of course shafts are more ideal than either.
Silly me!

What does, "SA", mean?

As for, "guided/rail", rocker tips, I like that idea. If I was to run them with a solid lifter cam, I would just narrow my feeler gauges to fit in the slot.

pdq67
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

self align

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

BOOT wrote:self align
Thank you, "self-align".

pdq67
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Don't do it. Machine shop did it to me- cost me a set of guides, another shop sent me two engines the same way- one was binding- changed over to regular roller rockers- issue fixed, other I pulled the cover off and was surprised to see the same. It MAY work- but I say go guide plates and regular rockers. You may have seen a corvette application with both, but as I understand it the guide plates were non functional assembly line aids.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Where they two/three piece adjustable guideplates that ruined your guides with SA rockers or one piece fixed plates?

The C4 corvette 1st came with iron heads with regular pushrod slots, then halfway thru 1986 they switched to alum heads and used actual hardened guideplates, I don't know the actual year but later they went to SA(self aligning) rockers and pushrod assembly holders(not hardened).