Moderator: Team

Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: Fuel foam in Holley vid.

Post by Alaskaracer »

pamotorman wrote:
Coloradoracer wrote:
pamotorman wrote: brasswell was selling those 15 years ago. you had notch the nytrophyl float to clear them if you extended the float out on the arm to get the same leverage as the brass float on the needle seat

That float was modified for a sideways application, not a different needle and seat. The bottom feed n&s that BLP sells are a drop in part.
the epoxy you see in the front center is to seal a notch cut into the float to clear the longer needle seat that uses a Q jet needle. yes it was used in circle track application so the float was angle cut.

The needle and seat isn't in front of the float, so the notch that is cut and sealed cannot be for it. The needle and seat sit near the pivot.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Coloradoracer wrote:
pamotorman wrote:
Coloradoracer wrote:

That float was modified for a sideways application, not a different needle and seat. The bottom feed n&s that BLP sells are a drop in part.
the epoxy you see in the front center is to seal a notch cut into the float to clear the longer needle seat that uses a Q jet needle. yes it was used in circle track application so the float was angle cut.

The needle and seat isn't in front of the float, so the notch that is cut and sealed cannot be for it. The needle and seat sit near the pivot.
I think its needed to clear the end of the power valve which sticks out from the middle of the metering block.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Coloradoracer wrote:
pamotorman wrote:
Coloradoracer wrote:

you are correct I did not have my thinking cap on when I posted that. the brass float is cut back there for that reason
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

pamotorman wrote:
Coloradoracer wrote:
pamotorman wrote: the epoxy you see in the front center is to seal a notch cut into the float to clear the longer needle seat that uses a Q jet needle. yes it was used in circle track application so the float was angle cut.

you are correct I did not have my thinking cap on when I posted that. the brass float is cut back there for that reason to clear the PV
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

I wonder if moving the vent away from the inlet of the mainbody would help the foam , even with just a piece of hose to air with less disturbance
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Moving the vent won't likely help with foam but easily can help keep bowl pressure consistent. Some hood and scoop designs can screw up vent pressure, sending AFR's lean as the car speeds up. Coming is volume pressure, more volume at low pressure creates less. Think of turning on an open hose into a bucket of water, then put your finger over the end to spray it. More pressure, more foam.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

this is not to keep debris out of the engine. it prevents carb problems caused by hood scoop air turbulence..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Wouldn't the hood-mounted filter do that?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

MadBill wrote:Wouldn't the hood-mounted filter do that?
yes if you run the hood mounted filter but a lot of people road raced without them. I tried my 68 Z/28 with the thru the cowl cold air cleaner setup without the paper filter and had the same misfire till I installed the L-88 basket. this is the type if air cleaner setup I used. this is the Z-11 set up but the Z/28 was the same
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Ah yes, a lot of people assume the filter is a restriction, but not many verify it. A few years back I was tuning a 700 WHP SB2.2 in a Trans Am Series Corvette. After dialing in spark and fuel on a chassis dyno, we did an A-B-A removing the 3.5" x 16" filter element but leaving the case sealed to the cowl intake and gained..one HP with zero effect on the AFR.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

MadBill wrote:Ah yes, a lot of people assume the filter is a restriction, but not many verify it. A few years back I was tuning a 700 WHP SB2.2 in a Trans Am Series Corvette. After dialing in spark and fuel on a chassis dyno, we did an A-B-A removing the 3.5" x 16" filter element but leaving the case sealed to the cowl intake and gained..one HP with zero effect on the AFR.
I believe doug roe Q jet book has some tests on air filters and their restriction. I know when at daytona qualifying slitting the paper filter with a razor blade made you go faster till NASCAR caught on. :D the forced air at speed is what causes the turbulence around the carb air bleeds
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Capture+_2017-08-10-19-55-50.png
Wonder why Grump went to that much trouble just to vent the bowl , always thought it would be better after I saw it in his book years ago , pic from net
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

levisnteeshirt wrote:Capture+_2017-08-10-19-55-50.png

Wonder why Grump went to that much trouble just to vent the bowl , always thought it would be better after I saw it in his book years ago , pic from net
looks like the original vents are plugged because they were allowing fuel to come out and get pulled into the carbs at speed
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Other pics he had hoses ran to the back of the scoop , just a thought
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

levisnteeshirt wrote:Capture+_2017-08-10-19-55-50.png

notice how the vents favor the front of the car and the needle and seats are positioned towards the rear to work with the sidehung floats.
Pro question poster.