Ford V10

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jamie
Pro
Pro

Re: Ford V10

Post by jamie »

I have a 2000 f350 superduty crew with the v10.It has 280,000 miles on it and runs like new but I never take it over 3500 rpms for fear of losing a rod.11 mpg empty tho.
FIXR7

Post by FIXR7 »

G'day Folks,

Just joined the forum so I thought I'd start with my current project...

I'm going to use a 3 valve V10 in my '99 Falcon ute. I've already dummied it up with a 4R75 trans case and it looks do-able.
IMG_2993 (640x480).jpg
It's a low mileage good runner I bought locally...amazing considering these were not available in Australia!
As you can see it looks like someone built a block of flats in the engine bay but, thankfully that's not it's final position...the front of the engine needs to come down considerably. I have a couple of Australian 5.4 3V aluminium intakes to cut and shut for 10cyls and will modify for a front mounted t-body and move the alternator outside the vee. Plus I'll use a water crossover for the Aussie 5.4 DOHC engines which is also much lower in height.
IMG_3004 (640x480).jpg
Looks like the stock exhaust manifold will clear the steering shaft. I'm contacting Tilton to see whether their XLT-series starter with it's clockable housing is available to fit the application because a stock starter will hit the steering shaft. If not I can mod the bell for a LH starter like on an Aussie 5.0 falcon or possibly use the LH bell mounted modular engine starter. EIther way that won't stop me!
IMG_2998 (640x480).jpg
I'll have to make a front sump for it too. There were only rear sump applications from Ford. Canton was making a front sump swap pan but I don't think they make it now....no matter I have a TIG.
IMG_2995 (640x480).jpg
I got the engine as is without a PCM or harness. So I'm investigating the stock PCM/Harness situation and the tuning side. So far the likes of SCT,Sniper and VCM suite don't even reply about which PCM is the best supported....pretty poor form I must say! I like to stick with stock Ford engine management whenever I do these conversions because it's usually bulletproof. So I've nearly given up on even getting a response from any of these "Tuners" and I'm talking to Holley about their Dominator ECU which seems capable of sequential COP ignition and fuel injection with the even fire 72 degree crank angle. Plus it's configurable for the Ford sensors and crank encoder. It can even do Drive By Wire and will supposedly be able to drive a 4R70 at some stage. Although I'll probably use a Baumann Optishift like I did in my 351w/4R70 conversion of my '93 Range rover :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
things
Greg2

Post by Greg2 »

Welcome FIXR7, and thanks for sharing the project! You may also want to check with http://www.diyautotune.com/ for EFI. They seem to have put their units in just about every application.
FIXR7

Post by FIXR7 »

Cheers Greg,
Nah megasquirt can't do sequential. Given up on Holley too. Won't give a straight answer on trans control and too expensive(U.S. 3K+)
I'm looking at EMUblack and Adaptronic now. Adaptronic is my favourite at the mo and $2600 Aussie can do up to 16cyls sequential and COP ignition.
things
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

FIXR7 wrote:Cheers Greg,
Nah megasquirt can't do sequential.
The latest MS do both sequential ignition and injection.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

I remember seeing and hearing that 351 cube V-10 run when we were at the Mustang 40th in Nashville.
It was based on the 4.6 block in a special casting with 2 extra cylinders. Couple of engineers came up with the idea and wanted to call it the Boss 351 and it was installed in a silver 2003 Mustang.
They had two separate computers taped to the passenger side dash wired up to run it and I heard that power was in the 450 HP range at the time in 2004. It sounded and idled more like a V8 sounding different than the then current V10.
For some reasons they had a hard time keeping clutches in the thing at the track.
Might have some picture of it around here some place.
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

I dont evn want to think about all the crap that went down on the modular engine during the years I worked at Fords Advance Engine Design
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

deleted
FIXR7

Post by FIXR7 »

n2xlr8n wrote:
FIXR7 wrote:Cheers Greg,
Nah megasquirt can't do sequential.
The latest MS do both sequential ignition and injection.
Still can't do 10 cyls. It can do Fuel to 12 cyl and ignition only 8.
things
FIXR7

Post by FIXR7 »

427dart wrote:I remember seeing and hearing that 351 cube V-10 run when we were at the Mustang 40th in Nashville.
It was based on the 4.6 block in a special casting with 2 extra cylinders. Couple of engineers came up with the idea and wanted to call it the Boss 351 and it was installed in a silver 2003 Mustang.
They had two separate computers taped to the passenger side dash wired up to run it and I heard that power was in the 450 HP range at the time in 2004. It sounded and idled more like a V8 sounding different than the then current V10.
For some reasons they had a hard time keeping clutches in the thing at the track.
You mean this.....
https://youtu.be/Ub6DlVHWxPM
things
FIXR7

Post by FIXR7 »

turbo2256b wrote:I dont evn want to think about all the crap that went down on the modular engine during the years I worked at Fords Advance Engine Design
And?
things
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

FIXR7 wrote:
427dart wrote:I remember seeing and hearing that 351 cube V-10 run when we were at the Mustang 40th in Nashville.
You mean this.....
https://youtu.be/Ub6DlVHWxPM
Yeah that's the one! Shame it didn't make into the smaller 2004 Mustang.
FIXR7

Post by FIXR7 »

Yeah it was a nice bit of gear.
things
Aussie Dave

Post by Aussie Dave »

turbo2256b wrote:I dont evn want to think about all the crap that went down on the modular engine during the years I worked at Fords Advance Engine Design
Come on we want to hear about it! Share if you are able to. Cheers Dave