Raising runner, not short turn?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro
Re: Raising runner, not short turn?

Post by Rick Finsta »

Yeah rockers are going to be the same price no matter what since I am going with T&D or Jesel shaft mounts.
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
CCA Racing Products - Torque Plates and Engine Rebuild Tooling
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I know which way I would go.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Dammit. I'll start thinking of ways to move them over. Plugging the holes isn't a problem, but drilling the new ones correctly is!

Mission creep! :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Rick Finsta wrote:Dammit. I'll start thinking of ways to move them over. Plugging the holes isn't a problem, but drilling the new ones correctly is!

Mission creep! :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:
Seems silly to have that localized high speed air. The csa had been radically changed so the csa needs to be used as efficiently as possible. If Chad has the room I am sure he will find the quantity and quality airflow to make all this work worth it.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

The irony here is I could have bolted on a set of stock Edelbrock heads and still made more power than the car will ever be able to run LOL. All this is basically superfluous.
Mike Gallo, President
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Right tool for the job makes all the difference. 24W torch FTW.

Quick comparison of the SSR before and after welding. Raised about 0.100" at the current throat; a little more with the throat opened for the bigger valves.

Mike Gallo, President
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Id love to know how much filler rod you have in these so far! Nice project. Even if you can buy something that will do the job off the shelf, its just so much more impressive to modify a seemingly inferior part and make the power.
Craig.
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Ha! I should weigh them when I'm done. Maybe I don't want to know.

Chad, you got some time this week for a phone call?
Mike Gallo, President
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

I spoke with Chad on Tuesday and he had this back on the bench. Once he gets the port where he wants it, he may just ship it back this way for me to make sure there is enough weld to support running a program in there. Also, we'll have to decide if we can mirror the inside port to the outside.

Chad, you have a sonic tester? :mrgreen:
Mike Gallo, President
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Chad was having some power issues in his shop after a lightning strike, and I got distracted by a shiny new (old and crusty, really) Bridgeport in my garage, but I finally finished up the welding (I think). Chad is gonna get the prototype port where he wants it and then we'll go from there.

I've got (what I think is) a really good idea for a way to make this much faster by CNC'ing the ports, including a cleanup pass of the part that is to be filled. Then CNC little wedges that fit the other program, a quick bead around the edges and hand blend and you're done. It would take maybe a few hours to do all the ports. The tops I would still weld.

For reference, I started checking temperature while I was doing this and the hottest the casting got was the tops of the runners got to just under 250F. I think I'm good to go without worry about the decks or other features losing heat treat at those temperatures!
Mike Gallo, President
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Very cool, Chad! I got all jazzed up for going fast after attending a day of Drag Week last week so it is super cool to be progressing on these. Let me know when you think you've got it roughed where you want it and I'll give you a call.
Mike Gallo, President
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Just an update on this, I've decided to dry deck the block and heads and run oring receiver grooves and copper gaskets after talking to these guys as Drag Week:

They were pushing water at like 14lbs of boost on a 455. The block I'm using will be much more stable but it got me worried about running double that! Plus when I started looking around it seems other engines with four bolts per cylinder have better luck with dry decks.

For the heads, I am using my new Bridgeport (well, very old Bridgeport that is new to me!) to cut 3/4" pockets 0.240" deep, and then I had little plugs water jet cut out of 1/4" 6061. I picked up 4943 rod which I will be using for the deck in case it does need to be re-heat treated. I did some practice pieces where I had porosity issues but it looks like that was because the test cut pockets were closed at the bottom. With no where for the air underneath the plugs to go, it was bubbling through the puddle as I was welding.

The plugs will get a healthy chamfer prior to welding but I am trying to keep the weld as far away from the head bolt holes as possible. Not sure if it really matters...

Also, Chad had posted a quick update pic a while back on YB but I hadn't updated anything here:

Mike Gallo, President
Bos's5.0
Pro
Pro

Post by Bos's5.0 »

Since this thread was brought up.. what were the results?
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Chad still has the one head - the short block work is finally under way so I expect to have this finished sometime this year. I've got a 3-axis CNC mill in the shop now so whatever Chad comes up with, rather than screwing around with all the welding I will be making plugs and welding them in place after getting things to near net shape. It is also stupid for me not to move the pushrods at this point since I can do all the work in my shop!
Mike Gallo, President