for what it is worth, bushed vs needle roller lifters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

In-Tech
Vendor

Re: for what it is worth, bushed vs needle roller lifters

Post by In-Tech »

Belgian1979 wrote:
In-Tech wrote:Thank you for the reply. The lash is a great way to keep track of wear. Just so I'm clear...you are using bushed lifters AND a rev kit???

I am quite aware of the advantage of a rev kit and needle lifters, I am interested if there are wear issues with bushed lifters and rev kits or is that brand dependant, the bushed morels that Chris Straub posted look promising. Are the Isky and Crowers pressure fed as well?

Thanks, trying to learn what has been tried and proven.
I still use the needle bearing lifters. No experience with bushed rollers and a rev kit. Personally I think these do not match well.
That's my "feeling" as well, anytime I can use a rev kit, use needles. Anytime I can't use a rev kit, use bushed. Once again, looking for experiences.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

In-Tech wrote: Once again, looking for experiences.
Cup, Truck and Xfinity series all use needle bearing lifters........no rev kits!
desoto30

Post by desoto30 »

How much idle time & what would be the service interval?
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Warp Speed wrote:
In-Tech wrote: Once again, looking for experiences.
Cup, Truck and Xfinity series all use needle bearing lifters........no rev kits!
Interesting, something to be said about something not being beneficial =D> Obviously not a street or marine environment where long idle times occur, good info anyway. Thanks :) And feel free to divulge any other testing you guys have done along this thread title. [-o< :wink:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

cjperformance wrote:Anything to keep the roller in contact with the cam (like a rev kit) will help life of roller or bushed type, keeping the lifter wheel rotating at libe surface speed is a massive key to lifespan, needle or bushed.
In your bushed v needle rocker scenario, first up was the geometry of each rocker near identical?
As I said back here ↑ , ie- there is more to the rev kit than stopping the lifter smacking the lobe,,, its more about keeping roller wheel AT lobe surface speed , this also helps maintain the oil wedge. The lower the average engine/lobe/roller wheel speeds are (low speed running and idle time) the more important this becomes to increase life of either type of lifter.
Craig.
Nick Campagna
Pro
Pro

Post by Nick Campagna »

What kind of spring pressure is used for the rev kit portion ?
Is the defect in what I see, or what I'm seeing with ?
Mpcoluv
Pro
Pro

Post by Mpcoluv »

So what lifters are Cup guys running?
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Nick Campagna wrote:What kind of spring pressure is used for the rev kit portion ?
30/35# as a start and is plenty to do the job on a streeter to keep the wheel on the lobe for the saturday night cruisers! , more for heavier lifters/more agressive lobes, the most I have ever used is 55#
Craig.
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:Someone should develop a tool that checks the valve lash when the engine is running.
Possible by lazer/optical analysis of the running rocker arm/valve tip interface.

If you are checking the valve lash ACCURATELY with the lifter on the back side of the cam lobe, each time at the same temperature, then theoretically if the valve lash does change, then something is or did bend/deflect beyond yield point or something is wearing, something has moved or.... something....$$$

"much" is a relative, subjective term.
Back off the pipe!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

desoto30 wrote:How much idle time & what would be the service interval?
Of course the top NASCAR series I mentioned doesn't have the low rpm or extended isle time some full street cars would see. But then again, most wouldn't run anywhere near the valve lift or acceleration the system sees in our application.

While we are on the subject of street duty, what is everyone's idea of idle and low speed rpm mentioned?
Are we talking about a 700rpm idle and 1200-1800 rpm cruise?
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Ballpark 800-1000 idle , cruise 1300 - 2800 is what I call a Saturday night cruiser for solid roller.
Craig.
Nick Campagna
Pro
Pro

Post by Nick Campagna »

cjperformance wrote:
Nick Campagna wrote:What kind of spring pressure is used for the rev kit portion ?
30/35# as a start and is plenty to do the job on a streeter to keep the wheel on the lobe for the saturday night cruisers! , more for heavier lifters/more agressive lobes, the most I have ever used is 55#
Thanks.
Is the defect in what I see, or what I'm seeing with ?
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

cjperformance wrote:Ballpark 800-1000 idle , cruise 1300 - 2800 is what I call a Saturday night cruiser for solid roller.
Why would you consider a solid roller for this type of mild application, when a modern hydraulic roller would be more than enough?
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Warp Speed wrote:
cjperformance wrote:Ballpark 800-1000 idle , cruise 1300 - 2800 is what I call a Saturday night cruiser for solid roller.
Why would you consider a solid roller for this type of mild application, when a modern hydraulic roller would be more than enough?
I thought the main purpose of the bushed roller solution was #1 Endurance applications #2 reliability #3 reducing associated catastrophic failure from loose needles, etc and the cost therein, not HP any gains or loses from friction.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Warp Speed wrote:
Guy like me building a turbo bbc. Heavy 2.3 intake valve, heavy 1.88 inconel exhaust.

Street driving 2000-2500 miles a year. Previously had a sbc hyd roller car but looking for much more power with internals reliability and longevity. 1800-2000 hp range. Street boost will be 1000-1300 hp range like my old sbc.

Now track it will run to 7000-7500 tops. Solid roller cam is ideal here imo due to weight of stuff plus boost. Going fairly mild on lobes and using 1.8/1.7 rockers.
Turbo gearing, 3.08 final gear, i plan on 55-60 mph cruise in that 2000-2500 rpm range. Idle 1000-1200 to keep some oil splash even tho it would idle lower. Cam wont be big.
I'm going bushing lifters since its what i have at the moment. We'll see how it goes. Todays efi and tech makes making power fairly easy. Now just need to figure out how to keep valvetrain happy, and i think thats gonna be mild lobes, lower lash, probably gonna run spring oilers, and big pushrods/shaft rockers to keep things stable.