Fuel foam in Holley vid.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
Fuel foam in Holley vid.

Post by 1972ho »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_contin ... 91GhyWqfr0 Wow the fuel bowl level almost stood up in the bowls upon launch on this 11.0 second car and it is full of fuel foam I wonder how this can be fixed the jets seems like they would be completely uncovered.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: Fuel foam in Holley vid.

Post by cgarb »

Sounds like it ran ok, no missing and popping. Holley's have been doing that for a long time...way before the Gopro was invented.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I just developed a lot more appreciation for BLP Bottom Feed N&Ss. :shock: Probably have to jet down 6 sizes with them!
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Still doesn't account for the g forces. Wonder how an angled spacer would help with that. I'm sure that's why they were made, just would be nice to see the video evidence.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

That's where jet extensions come in...
Somewhere back in the S/T archives there's a vid from RyanBrown Racing that shows the fuel action through a clear-walled float of a perhaps ten second run. At launch, the fuel 'level' is 60°+ from horizontal.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I'd bet the front jets never got uncovered in that vid despite the highly visible foam. I'd like to know what size N&S, type of fuel, spacer material, some other fuel system details and see him try less psi.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Low pressure with larger N&S will help.

Here is a dyno video with a standard N&S and pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PehQUKwQX8E

Large N&S, low pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOJKcvTKQAg

Left bowl Standard N&S and pressure, right bowl larger N&S and low pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zftUFW9MfrM
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

APD advertises a bowl that eliminates foam there used to be a couple videos of it on youtube but i can't seem to find it, anymore

http://www.apdracing.com/billet-fuel-bowls.html
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

MadBill wrote:I just developed a lot more appreciation for BLP Bottom Feed N&Ss. :shock: Probably have to jet down 6 sizes with them!
brasswell was selling those 15 years ago. you had notch the nytrophyl float to clear them if you extended the float out on the arm to get the same leverage as the brass float on the needle seat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

This is my friend Chris's car. He doesn't post here but I can find out anything anyone wants. I know it is a LS motor on pump gas in a G body Malibu. This past Sunday he ran a 10.98.
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

pamotorman wrote:
MadBill wrote:I just developed a lot more appreciation for BLP Bottom Feed N&Ss. :shock: Probably have to jet down 6 sizes with them!
brasswell was selling those 15 years ago. you had notch the nytrophyl float to clear them if you extended the float out on the arm to get the same leverage as the brass float on the needle seat

That float was modified for a sideways application, not a different needle and seat. The bottom feed n&s that BLP sells are a drop in part.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Coloradoracer wrote:
pamotorman wrote:

That float was modified for a sideways application, not a different needle and seat. The bottom feed n&s that BLP sells are a drop in part.
the epoxy you see in the front center is to seal a notch cut into the float to clear the longer needle seat that uses a Q jet needle. yes it was used in circle track application so the float was angle cut.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Those bottom feed needle and seats can be a mixed blessing. I've had them cause trouble in a circle track application(4412) where they would make the car want to hesitate coming off of the corner. It was as if the seat would close down when the driver lifted off of the throttle and then it took longer or more float drop to get it to open again and for just a split second the fuel level in the bowl would get too low. Going to a conventional needled cured the problem.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

DaveMcLain wrote:Those bottom feed needle and seats can be a mixed blessing. I've had them cause trouble in a circle track application(4412) where they would make the car want to hesitate coming off of the corner. It was as if the seat would close down when the driver lifted off of the throttle and then it took longer or more float drop to get it to open again and for just a split second the fuel level in the bowl would get too low. Going to a conventional needled cured the problem.
if you don't move the nitrophyl float out further on the float arm you do not have as much leverage as a brass float to close the needle. that is why bo laws says their setup can not be used with a brass float. the float picture I posted has the float moved on the arm to the same distance as the brass float so you need to notch the front of nitrophyl float to clear the extended needle seat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

DaveMcLain wrote:Those bottom feed needle and seats can be a mixed blessing. I've had them cause trouble in a circle track application(4412) where they would make the car want to hesitate coming off of the corner. It was as if the seat would close down when the driver lifted off of the throttle and then it took longer or more float drop to get it to open again and for just a split second the fuel level in the bowl would get too low. Going to a conventional needled cured the problem.
Vapor bubbles form when the pressure drops as the fuel passes through the needle valve and seat orifice, just like vapor bubbles form as the pressure drops when opening a bottle of carbonated beverage.

Prior to introducing the "Window" type needle and seat in the mid-'60s, the externally adjustable Holley N&S had four holes (.093" or so ?) in the same vertical location as the "Window" type. The reason for the larger "Window" (to paraphrase the statements in catalogs and magazines) was to provide more area to allow the vapor to escape above liquid level inside the baffle so the foam could more effectively collapse back into liquid form, rather than be injected below the baffle into the liquid fuel in the bowl. Side-hung bowls have the baffle inserts. In center pivot bowls the hinge bracket is the baffle.

Less fuel pressure (with appropriate N&S size for required flow) reduces foaming because there is less pressure drop through the seat orifice.