Rember the intake port texture debates?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by Frankshaft »

This is the finish I use if the guy isn't on board with the aggressive cuttered finish. Mildly ported dart pro 1 345 BBC heads.
WP_20160330_19_24_03_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

Frankshaft wrote:This is the finish I use if the guy isn't on board with the aggressive cuttered finish. Mildly ported dart pro 1 345 BBC heads.
Without me going back and re-reading 14 pages of this thread, does anyone care to share how to create these textured finishes on iron or aluminum (I imagine aluminum would be easier)? Thanks.
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Here is a question directed at Chad----------Chad i see you thinned down the divider between the runners quite a bit, there has been a lot of talk about that not being a good idea. I have noticed upon close observation that some of Edelbrocks intake manifolds such as the Victor Glidden #2858 and the B.B.C. #2896 Super Victor are cast with quite thin dividers. Your comments would be appreciated much. Thanks Mark.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Chad's the only one that knows anything? Those runners are like that otb. Its for area. If it needs the area, that's what you end up with. That's it.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Frankshaft, I know d_ _ n well Chad is not the only person who knows how to modify an intake manifold and make horsepower. The reason i directed the question to him is BECAUSE it is HIS manifold, and what do you mean by the letters otb, i am not a youngster who knows all the abbreviations. Mark
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

maxracesoftware wrote:...then i take that same Burr and try to chip the new teeth just right to get the finish i need
Ummm, how do you go about chipping the teeth on the burr?
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

swampbuggy wrote:Frankshaft, I know d_ _ n well Chad is not the only person who knows how to modify an intake manifold and make horsepower. The reason i directed the question to him is BECAUSE it is HIS manifold, and what do you mean by the letters otb, i am not a youngster who knows all the abbreviations. Mark

otb= out of the box
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Ron E wrote:
swampbuggy wrote:Frankshaft, I know d_ _ n well Chad is not the only person who knows how to modify an intake manifold and make horsepower. The reason i directed the question to him is BECAUSE it is HIS manifold, and what do you mean by the letters otb, i am not a youngster who knows all the abbreviations. Mark

otb= out of the box
Yes!... here is a good picture of as cast or OTB divider thickness.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

If this was asked already, I missed it and apologize: Has anyone done an A-B dyno test between a CNC port and a textured port?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

RevTheory wrote:If this was asked already, I missed it and apologize: Has anyone done an A-B dyno test between a CNC port and a textured port?
I haven't seen that question but I would like to see that test.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Thanks Ron E and Gary C i appreciate the text as well as the pictures, it is all cleared up now! Mark H. And thanks to ALL of you folks for your willingness to share unselfishly what you have learned over time.
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

swampbuggy wrote:...And thanks to ALL of you folks for your willingness to share unselfishly what you have learned over time.
I agree wholeheartedly. That's why a lot of us join these forums. I know that's why I joined. That's also why I read pretty much nothing but technical books. I'm constantly trying to read. Now if only I had the $ to experiment with everything I learn... wouldn't life be grand! :D
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Dwayne Porter, the owner of the shop with whom I work closely on my cylinder heads, dyno testing, etc., doesn't have a current SpeedTalk account, but passed on a few questions after reading through this thread. I've tried to take them pretty much verbatim, with some verbiage tweaks of my own:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

1. Since there seems to be some pretty specific info on what the "correct" texture is, how critical is the textured finish for power gains to be seen over the typical sanding roll finish?

2. If the ports are left with the typical carbide cuttered finish they would normally have prior to getting hit with a sanding roll, would that be expected to show a power gain over the sand roll finish? I.e, how much is from simply having "texture", and how much of it is having a specific texture?

3. There is a lot of talk about how it works because the texture increases fuel atomization, less fuel clinging to the walls, etc. So how does that part of it figure into using the cuttered finish in the exhaust ports, which I would think "should" be all dry flow?

4. Last comment... seems like that rough chamber finish would just end up being a carbon magnet in long term use.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Me (the OP) again. I posted a pic in this thread on May 25, 2017 2:35 pm of a cuttered port finish that I did. Still curious if "those in the know" think that level of surface texture would be expected to show the benefits being talked about. It seems to fit w/ the nature of Dwayne's questions above. Thanks - Brad
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

BradH wrote:
1. Since there seems to be some pretty specific info on what the "correct" texture is, how critical is the textured finish for power gains to be seen over the typical sanding roll finish?

2. If the ports are left with the typical carbide cuttered finish they would normally have prior to getting hit with a sanding roll, would that be expected to show a power gain over the sand roll finish? I.e, how much is from simply having "texture", and how much of it is having a specific texture?
Uhhh... after re-reading his PM, I think Dwayne intended for #1 & #2 to be ONE question, only with additional context. I interpreted it as two, so feel free to "mentally merge" them together if it makes more sense that way.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Check this link out: http://www.google.com/patents/US20110265770 It appears someone tried (successfully?) to patent the CONCEPT of textured surfaces in an ICE as "the invention":

"Abstract

An internal combustion engine includes a combustion chamber defined by a cylinder, a piston defining a piston top, a cylinder head with an intake port and an exhaust port, and a corresponding intake valve and an exhaust valve. The internal combustion engine further includes an intake manifold for supplying air to the combustion chamber and an exhaust manifold for drawing exhaust gas from the combustion chamber. The flow dynamics of the internal combustion engine are improved by including textured surfaces on one or more of the piston top, the cylinder head, the intake valve, the intake port, the exhaust valve, the intake manifold, the exhaust manifold, or the fuel supplier. The textured surface may include indentations, protrusions, or combinations."

Read the "Summary of Invention" section for a good example of someone saying NOTHING while trying to cover all the possibilities. I hope to He11 this got rejected for lack of any real substantiating evidence for the patent claim. [-X