Rember the intake port texture debates?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

statsystems
Guru
Guru
Re: Rember the intake port texture debates?

Post by statsystems »

Carnut1 wrote:Resized_20170716_164354.jpegDV and I had a conversation on port textures the other day and I was doing some fooling around today. I came up with this texture on iron and I think I will do the intakes of my next iron heads like this. I would like some input. Fyi super easy. I blew up the pic to show texture. Bottom left of 289 intake bowl. Thanks,Charlie

I'm jealous. That looks pretty damn good.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Thanks Stats, I am interested in your opinion on what a texture does in a port?
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Carnut1 wrote:Thanks Stats, I am interested in your opinion on what a texture does in a port?

I'm not sure I know, or even have a good guess. But, I do know when smart guys like Larry Meaux and Chad Spier are making power with it, and I have lost, I have to think I'm doing it wrong.

My best, piss poor guess is that rather than disturbing the boundary layer and disrupting flow, it makes the flow more laminar and keeps the air/fuel mixture more homogenous.

That's the best guess I have.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

BOOT wrote:
BOOT wrote:Just occurred me to dimples/burr finish is about holding fuel or wetting the walls better for the cooling effect. Increased surface area w/o the downside of smooth wetting.
So we need a fuel resistant coating that has a semi course media(like a cart roll finish)to fight puddling.

If you have puddling in the intake port, find someone who knows what they are doing. Or turn the engine more than 10 rpm.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

MTENGINES wrote:
BOOT wrote:
BOOT wrote:Just occurred me to dimples/burr finish is about holding fuel or wetting the walls better for the cooling effect. Increased surface area w/o the downside of smooth wetting.
So we need a fuel resistant coating that has a semi course media(like a cart roll finish)to fight puddling.

If you have puddling in the intake port, find someone who knows what they are doing. Or turn the engine more than 10 rpm.
Watch The Case finger video
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert

Post by The Radius Kid »

statsystems wrote:
Carnut1 wrote:Thanks Stats, I am interested in your opinion on what a texture does in a port?

I'm not sure I know, or even have a good guess. But, I do know when smart guys like Larry Meaux and Chad Spier are making power with it, and I have lost, I have to think I'm doing it wrong.

My best, piss poor guess is that rather than disturbing the boundary layer and disrupting flow, it makes the flow more laminar and keeps the air/fuel mixture more homogenous.

Maybe this video will stir some thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl7jk85D2sE
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

The Radius Kid wrote:
statsystems wrote:

Interesting. When the air comes apart like it did on top of the deck lid I know that's bad.
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

Was just contemplating the "golf ball dimple" business. It seems to me that a golf ball is traveling at a high velocity through dry air PLUS it is spinning at a high rate of speed. I wonder if the golf ball engineers ever compared the effect of dimples, no dimples in the rain? Probably not since not much golfing done while raining.And if the golf ball was a knuckle ball,no spin, how much improvement in distance and trajectory would they find. The whole wet flow-dry flow approaches intrigue me. I am in awe thinking about how much time and labor has been spent on finding the gains made in the texture experiment. You guys are good and people like me appreciate the sharing of ideas about all aspects of making horsepower. I just got caught up in this thread and have some ideas of my own you have inspired me to try.
The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert

Post by The Radius Kid »

statsystems wrote:
The Radius Kid wrote:
statsystems wrote:

Interesting. When the air comes apart like it did on top of the deck lid I know that's bad.

What did you notice around the 2:30 mark?
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I see what you've got going on there, Charlie, and me likes. Really impressive work!

If you follow that same idea into the chamber, does it have any affect on reverse flow at low lift?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

RevTheory wrote:I see what you've got going on there, Charlie, and me likes. Really impressive work!

If you follow that same idea into the chamber, does it have any affect on reverse flow at low lift?
Good question Rev. I don't know.
631-816-4911
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Resized_20170723_202312.jpeg
Experiment: bone stock '65 289 heads flow them. Install heavy burr finish removing least amount of material and leaving razor sharp stock edges, reflow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
nickpohlaandp
Pro
Pro

Post by nickpohlaandp »

Carnut1 wrote:Resized_20170716_164354.jpegDV and I had a conversation on port textures the other day and I was doing some fooling around today. I came up with this texture on iron and I think I will do the intakes of my next iron heads like this. I would like some input. Fyi super easy. I blew up the pic to show texture. Bottom left of 289 intake bowl. Thanks,Charlie
What did you use to achieve the texture?
Never half ass two things... Whole ass one thing!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Super secret!
631-816-4911
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Carnut1 wrote:Super secret!
curious to se the difference after your hamster gnawed on it for a while . :lol: