2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Re: 2 heads better than 1 - power porting E7TE iron.

Post by CGT »

jcisworthy wrote:So these heads are going to be dyno tested against stock heads? What about ported heads from someone else?
Good question. That would be a good validation for the software and pot energy.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 75#p665200 These heads will battle it out on the pump. Make your bets now.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I vote that the heads that were ported by the Vizard ideology will win for sure in that test.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

jcisworthy wrote:So these heads are going to be dyno tested against stock heads? What about ported heads from someone else?
Question- is the dyno testing of these ported heads by some one else going to be paid for by that someone else or should it be as a charity deal by me?

Just asking so I know where I stand here.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

CGT wrote:I vote that the heads that were ported by the Vizard ideology will win for sure in that test.
Dv did all the porting on the gt40x heads. I took DV's port design and modified it on the E7 heads. If you have ever had the misfortune to port E7 's they are very limited but makes for a good street head if done well. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

This must be round 7 - port velocity. Well here it is.

No matter which way you cut the cake the stock ports did not have enough port velocity to do the best job.this is partly the fault of the valves having to little flow and thus not saturating the port to the extent possible. In the case of the stock intake/exhaust the port speeds at 0.500 lift were 226 and 258 respectively. That is not enough to get a snappy performance and good off idle torque. A respectable functional number is 300 ft/sec. Our modified ports made this with a little to spare with both being 304 ft/sec @ 0.500 lift.

At this point we can see that we are up a bunch on flow and a fair bit on port velocity. This bodes well for a healthy increase in port energy so that is where will will go for the next post.
DV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
jcisworthy
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jcisworthy »

David Vizard wrote:
Question- is the dyno testing of these ported heads by some one else going to be paid for by that someone else or should it be as a charity deal by me?

Just asking so I know where I stand here.

DV
If someone offered a professionally ported loaner set of E7TE heads, that represents a substantial charity for this test.

I know time is money.

I was just wondering the test was going to include a set of E7TE heads done according to your port energy techniques and a set done by someone else who does not use it for comparison purposes.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Round 8 (I think) and the subject is port energy. With the increase in flow and port velocity the port energy for our modified E7TE heads should be looking good. Check out the comparison between stock and modified in the graph below and you can see the port energy is over double for the intake and almost double for the exhaust.

All of this lends itself to a substantial widening of the torque/power curve as well as a substantial increase in both.

Round nine will be a lo0k at the specific port energy. This result will allow us to compare heads across the board be they 2 valve street pieces or F1.

DV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Important point is how steep the port energy curve on the intake is about .25" lift modified equals stock about .42" lift. This is nearly all due to D.V. specific valve angles which are much higher efficiency than standard angles.
631-816-4911
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Carnut1 wrote:https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 75#p665200 These heads will battle it out on the pump. Make your bets now.
If I read it right the GT40 head is 40 cc larger and 20 cfm higher? Are they the same valve size? Will the same cam be used for both head tests? It would be interesting to see side by side graphs on both heads... Maybe time for a new thread laying out full engine, cam and head specs as will be tested or complete update here, the info gets so spread out in these threads that it's hard to put it all together.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

I've always read that completely removing the exhaust guide boss is good for flow, but dramatically shortens guide and valve seat life, especially on something that gets driven a lot. Thoughts?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

travis wrote:I've always read that completely removing the exhaust guide boss is good for flow, but dramatically shortens guide and valve seat life, especially on something that gets driven a lot. Thoughts?
I like a min. 2" guide. These are 2" they are k-LINE and honed for size they will last if driven without detonation, preignition. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If you where to shorten a .342" stem ,2.500" long guide by 1/2" you would have lost 20% of the support area you had, if your where to step down to a 5/16" stem valve with a 2..500"long guide you would have only 5% more support then a .342" stem 2.00" long guide set up.

A lot of the ware factor depends on the valve used and of course the spring pressure though!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

mag2555 wrote:If you where to shorten a .342" stem ,2.500" long guide by 1/2" you would have lost 20% of the support area you had, if your where to step down to a 5/16" stem valve with a 2..500"long guide you would have only 5% more support then a .342" stem 2.00" long guide set up.

A lot of the ware factor depends on the valve used and of course the spring pressure though!
Don't forget guide clearance, guide prep, valve prep, oil quality-grade, oil temp, valve train geometry. Just to get started.
631-816-4911
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

CGT wrote:I vote that the heads that were ported by the Vizard ideology will win for sure in that test.
Takin a big risk on that bet.

I don't suppose your willing to bet who will win the next election in NO. Korea ?

Randy