power difference between different brand cams

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
power difference between different brand cams

Post by Frankshaft »

To further elaborate about title, what's the thoughts on similar cams from different manufacturers? I just freshened /fixed an engine for a customer that I originally did from scratch. I think I have cycled out the last set of JUNK comp cams lifters from the engines I have built. Never again comp anything for me. Anyhow, obviously the cam was ruined too. This is a good running 406sbc, Dart block, Rhs heads, that I ported, it makes upper 600's for hp, so its no slouch. On most internet dynos, it would make way over 700, lol. Just a strong, basic bracket race deal. Anyhow, new rings, bearings, fresh hone, gaskets, and new Erson/Morrell super duty lifters, and a Erson cam, to replace the comp grind that was in it. Lucky there was minimal or zero damage from the shrapnelled lifter. Nearly identical specs. 1 less at .050 on intake, same ex duration, same lobe Sep, and same lobe lift on both in/ex as old cam, installed at the same intake centerline. I just had as similar of a cam I could, so no potential changes needed to converter, gear etc was needed. Any guesses ? I know I have heard claims from at least one speedtalker who says comp cams make 20-40 more hp than any other cams that are the same size. This Dyno also repeats 1 year, 3 years, 6 years, etc later like dead on, so, its 100% accurate. This spring I have freshened and redynoed 3 engines, that were originally dynode there, and the sheets and graphs would have overlayed each other to the point they were nearly identical.

Thoughts? Guesses?
novadude
Guru
Guru

Re: power difference between different brand cams

Post by novadude »

Don't know, but I am anxious to see results. :D
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

I know the results, the engine was dynoed last Friday, and the ultimate test, will be to see how the et/mph compares this weekend. I just want to hear what others thought, opinions or guesses are.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

im curious to see the results and know the pertinent details, as it seems everyone claims their cam or their choice in cam is always worth 20-80hp over everyone elses.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

I use a lot of Erson cams, I've sold many. They always make good power. But, I have made great power with one in company in particular.

I guess I'm curious as well as I always get asked the same question. You can't beat their customer service.

I know Darin told me they could run any cam in their Super Series BBC's but always go back to the Erson stuff.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Assuming the seat duration and high lift area are also similar. My guess would be nothing, or next to nothing.
Last edited by CGT on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

The only way to know for sure would be a before and after test with engine in current form and testing held to a rigid standard. I have been messing with performance engines for 24 years and out of all the people I know I don't know of anyone who has attributed their failure to Comp Cams, I have used both Comp and Herbert only with 0 issues.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
RamblerRebel6

Post by RamblerRebel6 »

My guess: Based on what I've learned, there isn't supposed to be a difference in power, all other things being equal. Unless one has magic fairy dust, of course. :D
"Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity."--Roedy Green
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

All a guy needs to do is have a few cam doctored and you'll learn real quick what's up.
Greenlight
Pro
Pro

Post by Greenlight »

Do you know the duration at 0.200", in additional to the duration at 0.050"?

The one with the larger duration at 0.200" (if the 0.050" numbers are the same) should make more power.
Project Greenlight
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

cspeier wrote:All a guy needs to do is have a few cam doctored and you'll learn real quick what's up.
Good point. What is says on paper is not necessarily exactly what is ground on the camshaft.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

And then you have varying degrees of symmetry between lobe families from the same company so who knows... It could be difficult trying to say one company makes more power than another.

Quality control is another matter, though.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I used to use Isky Cams in all the engines I built. After the Engine Master contest, I switched to Comp Cams. I have seen MANY times, when an engine comes back for a freshen up, or just looking for more power, replacing the Isky grind with a Comp grind, any where from 20 to 50 MORE HP. I used to think the brand name did not make any difference, but not any more. I will admit, I do not make a real a to b cam swap. I look to fine something better, and I do.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

cstraub wrote:
bigjoe1 wrote:I used to use Isky Cams in all the engines I built. After the Engine Master contest, I switched to Comp Cams. I have seen MANY times, when an engine comes back for a freshen up, or just looking for more power, replacing the Isky grind with a Comp grind, any where from 20 to 50 MORE HP. I used to think the brand name did not make any difference, but not any more. I will admit, I do not make a real a to b cam swap. I look to fine something better, and I do.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
I guess on the Flip side Joe you can look at it that you never won the Engine Masters with a Comp, only Isky.
lol, nice clean poke in the ribs.

Erson lobes by Hans Hermann all the way to 11000 rpm in my blown 440 cu in BBC and not one spring change all season. Having worked at Erson I know what lobes to use for what so I am blessed with that knowledge. That being said, you can use another companies lobe and make a few more hp but at the cost of longevity. Carry on :)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

In-Tech wrote:
cstraub wrote:
bigjoe1 wrote:I used to use Isky Cams in all the engines I built. After the Engine Master contest, I switched to Comp Cams. I have seen MANY times, when an engine comes back for a freshen up, or just looking for more power, replacing the Isky grind with a Comp grind, any where from 20 to 50 MORE HP. I used to think the brand name did not make any difference, but not any more. I will admit, I do not make a real a to b cam swap. I look to fine something better, and I do.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
I guess on the Flip side Joe you can look at it that you never won the Engine Masters with a Comp, only Isky.
lol, nice clean poke in the ribs.

Erson lobes by Hans Hermann all the way to 11000 rpm in my blown 440 cu in BBC and not one spring change all season. Having worked at Erson I know what lobes to use for what so I am blessed with that knowledge. That being said, you can use another companies lobe and make a few more hp but at the cost of longevity. Carry on :)
Any chance you could tell which lobes are indeed Hermann's? Maybe a PM? :)