Tuning up AFR 1040s opinions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Tuning up AFR 1040s opinions

Post by mag2555 »

Lol, and I did not say zero low lift !
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

cuisinartvette wrote:The .500 # was stronger than it was, held it to .550 didnt bother with any more you could hear the port wasnt liking it
I hear your agruemnts on both sides, know what I need to do now. Max rpm 6500 intakes done around 6ish
Owner is well aware not to pa much attention to # and may lose....heck they were off so why not type thing(doesnt expect much)
his intake will run out of steam before the cam/heads will
Another thing that can help your .5 and up numbers, assuming you have the ss sorted is the shape/ approach of the roof to the bottom cut, play with that and your upper numbers will increase, as was said , low lift is a waste of time, no ve boosts in low lift, especially if you dont have your valve job/ seat heights right
Tom
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

mag2555 wrote:You need a certain minimum amount of low lift Intake And exh flow to use the Cams overlap period to create as big a VE number as you can if the heads and or Intake Manifold on motor your dealing with is the choke.
How much do you need ?

A street SBC 383, operating from 3000-6500, pump gas, 10.8-1 comp, dual plane intake just matched up that is certainly a choke on the engine.

How much valve window area would it need at TDC for ex. and in. ?
How much flow at TDC would you need to make big ve ?

Tell me what you'd target for that.

Randy
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote:
mag2555 wrote:You need a certain minimum amount of low lift Intake And exh flow to use the Cams overlap period to create as big a VE number as you can if the heads and or Intake Manifold on motor your dealing with is the choke.
How much do you need ?

A street SBC 383, operating from 3000-6500, pump gas, 10.8-1 comp, dual plane intake just matched up that is certainly a choke on the engine.

Randy
Stop trying to be so specific. :lol: Can't you just regurgitate what someone else is claiming or selling?
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

You said your running a Accel/Ligenfelter Super Ram?.....Those things have a crappy port entry.....the manifold ports are far flatter than the cylinder head entry.....best gains would be made by getting rid of the intake for something better! Gawdawful! Intake design!
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Yes the old superram. Had an edelbrock base that has been heavily worked over
Tiny bit of welding so make all ports flow the same...theres 2 that are notoriously low

Hes stuck on using it, he knows a shorter runner will let the dogs loose just wants to see how far it can be taken the car moves out pretty well.

I agree a slight change in valve job could help but hes put enough in it going to run it as is so far;biggest problem has been people taking forever to get the simplest things done his driving season is running out
If the heads were mine id go farther...it was a barter deal and put enough hrs into this one. did try something with the roof that was expermental seemed to work out pretty well, doing the same thing -this roof bit I tried to another set didnt net the same result. Not getting into debates just brain pickin here

Thanks to those that offered up help.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

CGT wrote:
randy331 wrote:
How much do you need ?

Randy
Stop trying to be so specific. :lol: Can't you just regurgitate what someone else is claiming or selling?
Well, I'd like to know how much is necessary at overlap to not leave VE on the table.
And how you decide that.

Guess I'll never know. :(

Randy
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

What would you be looking for, Randy? Curtain area and flowz vs. piston position is something I've never been able to hear much about.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote:How much valve window area would it need at TDC for ex. and in. ?
.3921 CSA Intake .4605 CSA Exhaust?????? :lol:
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

CGT wrote:
randy331 wrote:How much valve window area would it need at TDC for ex. and in. ?
How about a CSA of .3921 intake and .380 ex. ?? :D

Randy
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

randy331 wrote:
CGT wrote:

Randy
So you want a 2.02 to be at .096 lift @tdc with a 50* x .06 seat and a 1.585 to be @ .118 lift tdc on 50* x .07 ?
Tom
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

randy331 wrote:
CGT wrote:

Randy
When I was a kid the local fast country boy wore overalls with a button that said "I amaze myself".

You guys remind me of him (God rest his soul). :lol:

He also cracked himself up- one night he leaned into my friend's car window to talk trash- my buddy dropped the clutch, ran over his foot and the shoe flew about 40 ft.

He jumped up and asked us what we thought the 60' was.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

n2xlr8n wrote:
When I was a kid the local fast country boy wore overalls with a button that said "I amaze myself".

You guys remind me of him (God rest his soul). :lol:

He also cracked himself up- one night he leaned into my friend's car window to talk trash- my buddy dropped the clutch, ran over his foot and the shoe flew about 40 ft.

He jumped up and asked us what we thought the 60' was.
LOL #-o
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

zums wrote:
randy331 wrote:

Randy
So you want a 2.02 to be at .096 lift @tdc with a 50* x .06 seat and a 1.585 to be @ .118 lift tdc on 50* x .07 ?
Tom
I wasn't saying that's what you need, but was asking if that's enough ?

It was stated you need a certain amount of flow at overlap and I was asking if that's enough csa at overlap to provide the needed flow.

And, 1.56 ex. valve :)

Randy
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

randy331 wrote:
zums wrote:
randy331 wrote:

Randy

It was stated you need a certain amount of flow at overlap and I was asking if that's enough csa at overlap to provide the needed flow.

Randy
Flow @ TDC,,, where do you want it, out the pipe or up the intake, thats easy just use the 128 rule :lol:
Tom