No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: 2017 Engine Masters ???

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Adger ...

Is there going to be individual acceptance emails sent or must everyone rely on this internet listing ...?

Will it be divulged what engine types each team will be bringing ...?

Just curious.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

Each Contestant will hear from Evan, Lonnie or Me
Probably multiple times before the event.
I believe Evan is currently preparing to send out the first round of letters.
The engines and the builds each participant has applied with will not be posted by Hot Rod ,or any of the staff.
Unless there is a Whitehouse sized leak.
We announced at the very beginning that when a entry form was filled out all the information would remain confidential.
Each entry is required to bring exactly what is on his application.
Any changes or substitutions that are not approved by the Hot Rod Tech Team
will result in disqualification and an alternate will be placed in the program.
So don't wait till the last minute and blow up your bullet the day before the event and expect to make a substitution.
We have spent a lot of time picking a well represented group of engine platforms for what I think is a well balanced field.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Not certain how to feel about this deal yet. The guys I am fortunate enough to have accompany me are quite often involved in helping other entries succeed, lending parts and manpower to get them running and work around problems that arise. I am not used to "rooting" for somebody else to have problems and drop out. I can't start doing that now without insulting their past efforts. I have never liked "bye runs" anyways...

Given the abbreviated timeframe the accepted entries are already working under it will be very challenging for alternates to respond with a truly competitive entry should the opportunity arise. As a twelve time competitor that has also brought an additional alternate entry down after a personal invitation/request only to have it not be allowed to run, its even harder to justify anything really trick on an "if-come" basis.

It would be an interesting change to be watching from the sidelines...
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Barry_R wrote:Not certain how to feel about this deal yet. The guys I am fortunate enough to have accompany me are quite often involved in helping other entries succeed, lending parts and manpower to get them running and work around problems that arise. I am not used to "rooting" for somebody else to have problems and drop out. I can't start doing that now without insulting their past efforts. I have never liked "bye runs" anyways...

Given the abbreviated time frame the accepted entries are already working under it will be very challenging for alternates to respond with a truly competitive entry should the opportunity arise. As a twelve time competitor that has also brought an additional alternate entry down after a personal invitation/request only to have it not be allowed to run, its even harder to justify anything really trick on an "if-come" basis.

It would be an interesting change to be watching from the sidelines...

Barry ... It seems to me, they have chosen the "alternates" based upon whether or not those builders would be the most likely to have an engine ready for the show if needed when/if somebody drops-out at a late date ... whether or not it could be competitive wouldn't matter to them as long as they are more likely to have the most engines in the final contest.

I can only hope that was not the case, as it would surely be an Underhanded, Self-serving, Horse Crap way of getting the fullest field.
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

Barry,
What happened to the conversation we had on the phone?
I though you had told me you would support EMC in any capacity?
I know we discussed your heads and how you had enough parts in the shop you could finish a build in days, not weeks.
Did you not hear the part about the 75% participation rate of the selected participants?
There was one year we had a 33% drop out rate.
Why do you think I chose 4 alternates when I expanded the participants from 8 to 16.. Yes, that 25% drop out rate before the competition factor.
I thought I explained how important it was to have builders that were truly interested in EMC as alternates.
Your past support was one of the reasons I ask you to be an alternate.
I'm totally taken back by your post.
I will probably survive the backhanded slap, but I'm very disappointed.
^
^
While I'm at it I have a few Questions for Randy.
What happened to the phone conversations we had?
Why all the bad language in your piling on comment?
FYI I never do Horse Cr*^ things to people, esp people I have considered as friends.
The additional alternates and the additional contestants was something I did to help the program and utilize the large number of entries
we had that were truly interested in competing..
Yea, it is real self serving for me to create twice the work for myself and the rest of the team..by doubling the field. I must be real stupid to do that.
What is your beef? You got to run the engine you wanted to run and you got the engine you ask to be an alternate selected as an alternate.
As far as anything underhanded.... that seems to be coming from your keyboard.
I just don't understand it...you must get some pleasure out of insulting people and programs you compete in.
I'm just wondering if my effort to get the alternates free entry and a spot for next year as well as a couple other perks is going to be worth my time and effort.
Wonder how many times I'll get bitch slapped for that effort.
I'm just totally disappointed in you guys.
Adger Smith
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
DanE2

Post by DanE2 »

And they are, I am sure, after years of faithful support to the program, very disappointed to be a " MAYBE" team. To them I am sure they feel like they have been "Bitch Slapped".
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Adger,
It was really not intended that way. I am sorry.

As vocal a fellow as I am it would be out of character if I did not say something. We would both be hearing about it forever - far better to get it out and behind so we can all concentrate on the tasks ahead. And I will support and come - with entry if the opportunity is there - with help if it is not.
No question at all.

We all know that based on past experience the alternates usually get into the show. That is not really in question.

I have worked pretty hard on some of these motors, and been blessed with truly amazing levels of help from some great people.
I do not want to be perceived as my hoping for one of the guys ahead of me to fail, and that needs to be clear to those folks.
If one of them called needing help I would want to think I would be working to get them in, not to keep them out.
The entries ahead of need to know that. The folks that helped me need to know that.

Randy's language is out of line, but thats Randy...
Last edited by Barry_R on Sat May 20, 2017 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Survival Motorsports

perfcrank

Post by perfcrank »

Based on the number of people that drop out , and the fact that there are at least 4 new names on the list, and half the time new guys don,t show , I figure all 4 will be in the show and the time spent ruining good friendships will be time that could have been spent building a winning entry .....
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

DanE2 wrote:And they are, I am sure, after years of faithful support to the program, very disappointed to be a " MAYBE" team. To them I am sure they feel like they have been "Bitch Slapped".
Dan
Please don't go there.
Survival Motorsports

RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

Not to sidetrack from the drama, but is this now a 4 day event? J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Adger Smith wrote: ^
While I'm at it I have a few Questions for Randy.
What happened to the phone conversations we had?
Why all the bad language in your piling on comment?
FYI I never do Horse Cr*^ things to people, esp people I have considered as friends.
The additional alternates and the additional contestants was something I did to help the program and utilize the large number of entries
we had that were truly interested in competing..
Yea, it is real self serving for me to create twice the work for myself and the rest of the team..by doubling the field. I must be real stupid to do that.
What is your beef? You got to run the engine you wanted to run and you got the engine you ask to be an alternate selected as an alternate.
As far as anything underhanded.... that seems to be coming from your keyboard.
I just don't understand it...you must get some pleasure out of insulting people and programs you compete in.
I'm just wondering if my effort to get the alternates free entry and a spot for next year as well as a couple other perks is going to be worth my time and effort.
Wonder how many times I'll get bitch slapped for that effort.
I'm just totally disappointed in you guys.
I will gladly answer the questions:
First, our phone conversation has nothing to do with this.
I will support the EMC ... and I think I understand what was happening however, I don't agree with the "new entries plan" vs.the given loyalty factor. You are entitled to your opinion and I also am entitled to mine.
We disagree ... you said your thoughts on the matter and I said mine; it is that simple to me.

I could have used softer language but, i believed the previous criteria was not true ... heat of the moment got the best of me.
I thought this type move was probably magazine driven but, you cleared that up.

Twice the field size? ...I was under the impression there was an entire class deleted to make room for that happening; guess not.
However, there will now be 2 classes to tear down and check, not 3.

Free entry? I have been an alternate with a second engine twice before and I was asked and payed the entry fee for those entries.
If it is to be different this time around then that would certainly be a welcome change.
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

Randy,
There are things done for the benefit of the competitors that are never posted to the public.
Whether you believe it or not there are people involved in this program that do respect what
the competitors got through to get to the program and do appreciate their efforts.
I was instructed to get 8 suitable applicants and 2 alternates in Vintage. That number was because of available dyno time.
The school has ask us to limit the hours of operation and the number of contestants.
By taking all 10 of the Vintage applicants and no alternates I am letting the usual process of participants not showing up take place
instead of selecting alternates. Remember that 24% to 33 % fail to show up.
If all 10 vintage show up The EMC Team and & I will just work
harder to get all their pulls done and make their experience a good one.
I had been instructed to take 8 Traditional Muscle and 2 alternates for the class.
I stood up to corporate for the benefit of the large number of Traditional Muscle applicants vs the 4 Blown entries.
We could have run the 4 entries in the blower class and made it interesting.
I thought we discussed the reason I was for the addition number of participants in the Traditional Muscle in our private conversation.
By making the Traditional Muscle class larger we got the additional New applicants in the program and all but
the 4 alternates, that have shown us they are good supporters of EMC, have a real good chance of filling in the empty slots.
We had to have alternates because there was not enough time to run 10 Vintage and 20 Traditional muscle in 4 days on class specific dyno's.
Randy, Thanks for your Heat of the Moment explanation
Barry, Thank you, too.

J. Rob,
Yes, unless something changes it will be a 4 day program with the winners and other awards given out Thursday night at the Banquet.
We want the banquet to be more than just an appreciation "Feed".
Adger Smith
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Just a thought about running both classes overlapping one another for a few days.
One class on one dyno and the other class on the 2nd dyno for at least one of the days would make it a whole lot easier to get 'em all in.

I do vividly remember the school routinely running 10 engines per day in years past... 5 on each dyno.

Apparently, they don't feel confident to rely on that anymore.
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

We have a schedule figured out where we can keep each class on it's own dyno. If all goes as planned. It appears we maxed out the school's ability to keep up with us. "All" the staff is now way older & it has cost them considerable money in wear & tear. I can understand their position, but I like for the action to be non stop. When things are dragging the excitement level is low. That low activity is bad for the planned streaming, too.
Adger Smith
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

For the sake of respectability for the EMC you would think they would have reserved a half dozen slots for something
akin to the Extreme Street rules of years past.
May the EMC as we knew it RIP.