Bias brake pedal box

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

german4inline
Bias brake pedal box

Post by german4inline »

I would ask if everyone is experienced with using a balance bar brake pedal box . I mean two main cylinders connected by an adjustable balancer bar operated by the brake pedal. Are there any drawbacks using it even in daily traffic ( I would use it for trackdays, no daily driver)? Would some one has experienced an unintended shifting of the adjustment for instance? Would you state that the adjustment stays solid over the time or have one to readjust the brake balance even once the weather conditions are identical? The basic knowledge is well known - my car is lightweight and needs no power brake support, I just want to know wether the adjustment stays, or rather other issues which may occure.
barnym17
Guru
Guru
Re: Bias brake pedal box

Post by barnym17 »

I used them racing dirt oval all the time we adjusted bias based on track conditions, more rear for more oversteer(loose in my world), more front for more understeer(tight).They would stay in place once set in a street application to the correct bias.
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

You don't have to use a remote adjuster. You can set the brake bias and then lock the adjuster down. If you measure the projection of the bar you can repeat settings, so you can move from street tire to race tire or rain settings, or street pads vs. racing pads, etc.

The main hassle is that you're limited to manual brakes unless you run a remote booster or get inventive. Also, the master cylinders used for most installations go from 3/4" to 1-1/8"; if you want a 1-1/4 or 1-3/8" cylinder you'll be out of luck, though you might be able to compensate by changing the pedal ratio.