Ballpark cost for valve grinding piece

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

cv67
Guru
Guru

Ballpark cost for valve grinding piece

Post by cv67 »

Can be used just a basic setup nothing high tech needed just enough to do basic valve jobs
Cant pull the trigger right this second but want to shortly
machinedave
Guru
Guru
Re: Ballpark cost for valve grinding piece

Post by machinedave »

I've seen some very complete used seat grinder sets for $600-$800. Most of the pilots in used seat grinding seats have alot of wear on the tops. I would plan on having to replace some of the pilots due to wear. I chose a Kwik Way seat grinder because the grooved pilots last a long time because the ball bearing stone holders can't wear the pilot tops. One drawback with a Kwik Way seat grinder set is that they have very slight taper so you may need to have more pilots to cover a full range of valve guide sizes. I have about 70 pilots. Sioux also makes a decent seat grinding setup and the pilots, stone holders and stones are reasonable. Keep a stiff bounce spring to help keep the stone holder sleeve from rotating on the pilot. I have tried every brand of valve grinders made. The Kwik Way 6 ball chuck is nice when new but it doesn't take long to wear out and you will have trouble getting a consistent grind. I have tried 5 different Sioux valve grinders and I don't like them. The chuck clamps onto the valve stem and the other end of the chuck uses a centering cone that requires you to chamfer the valve tip. I have tried many times to get a Sioux valve grinder to grind consistently and I cannot get it to grind perfect. If you grind a valve and remove it from the chuck and rotate it 180 degrees it should grind all the way around immediately. The Sioux and Kwik Way valve grinders have disappointed me with their consistency. I like a valve grinder with a Collet style chuck for accuracy. I have a Sunnen VR6500 Collet grinder that I really like. I bought it used for $1800. It is very consistent. You can also look for a Tobin Arp valve grinder witch is the same machine as the VR6500 but can usually be cheaper because it doesn't have the Sunnen name. You can also install a Collet chuck in a Sioux model 645 or 680 and have a pretty good machine. The KO Lee valve grinder is also a Collet machine and I have found them to be pretty consistent and they can be found used for $500.
bubbabbc
Pro
Pro

Post by bubbabbc »

I have a Sioux 680 valve refacer in good condition. It is clean and in good working order. The coolant pump and coolant drip tray are missing. The pump is not machine specific and is not attached to the grinder. Located in central NY, 40 miles north of Syracuse off I-90. If you are interested, give me a call.

Skip Ohnmacht
(315) 343-6030
Bossman

Post by Bossman »

I have a old Sioux machine coolant tank broken grinds very good $1,500. Also have Sioux seat grinder, dresser, stones, pilots, etc, $1,200
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Hey guys yes still interested just taking longer than I anticipated

if it can cut back on dropping parts off and having them sit for months only to find they dont seal- .
Not sure what it is about this industry...lol.