Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Diameter of swaybar VS veichle weight?

Post by Caprimaniac »

Heeeeelo.

Looking through some easily obtainable swaybar kits, and found the Currie "Antirock" swaybar kits that might suit my needs- you can order it With bent arms and in different lengths,

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-9901-20B

Thh thing is; the diameter of the swaybar only comes in 0.8" diameter. For a front roadrace Application, would it suit my 2200 lbs roadrace car? CG is low....

(In afterthought, I MIGHT have worked some formulaes on this earlier, but I do not recall..... An i have never used this type of tube- mounted swaybars; they might be more effective than the 70's Capri's which I am used to.....And they twist alot....)

Other Sources for GOOD ARB setups might also be interesting...
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro
Re: Diameter of swaybar VS veichle weight?

Post by chimpvalet »

A low cost method you might use in order to explore whether your car performs better with more front bar is to have a temporary add-on bar fabricated. Take a length of steel bar 70 - 90% of the current bar diameter, add 2 bends then clamp both together in 4 places ( near both chassis pivots and at each end ) with sturdy blocks. Assuming adequately firm chassis mounts, you can track test this as a temporary set-up before laying out cash for a bigger bar properly shaped to fit the chassis. In my experience the effective roll resistance of the dual bar set is very close to the sum of the 2 bars' resistance. Find a combination that you like then do the calculations for torsion rate versus lever arm of each bar in the set, add them up then do the calculation for diameter of single bar that would be equivalent to the combined pair.
Steve
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

An even lower cost source for the add-on bar might be to source one close to the correct shape from a salvage ( scrap ) yard. You would still require the attachment blocks but would possibly avoid cost or effort of bending and cutting a piece of straight stock.
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

Do a search on " 3 piece sway bars". Several companies offer the splined end style in several configurations
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

The diameter is only one factor in the equation. The length of the lateral links determines their leverage against the bar's resistance, then where it's attached on the lower A-arm and the travel thereof determines the degrees of twist.

FWIW, make the effort to get a tubular or gun drilled bar splined for adjustable lateral links.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

But by far the most important dimension is the diameter, since the stiffness varies as its fourth power. E.g., all else equal, the straight torsion segment of a 1.25" bar is ~ 250% stiffer than a 1.00" one.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

To answer the question about suitability, you first need to ask yourself what you're looking to accomplish? Less body roll to improve dynamic camber angles and available suspension travel, reducing under or over-steer, etc.?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

There are far too many variables involved for any "simple" calculation of antiroll bar diameter to have any relevance.

Plenty of vehicles have been built with no antiroll bars at all.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

What does ADDCO have to offer for your vehicle?

Might be better to just buy one say, a next dia. bigger and try it?

I have ADDCO front and rear S/B's on my 1st Gen. now. Nothing fancy, just good value by me. I got them from JCW years and years ago.

pdq67
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

The trend in handling these days is the 3 piece straight bar. It allows for lesser spring rates but the higher stiffness of the straight 3 piece advantage less body roll along with the advantage of lowering the vehicle further.
The straight bar also has the advantage of more accurate twist ratings.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Brian P wrote:There are far too many variables involved for any "simple" calculation of antiroll bar diameter to have any relevance.

Plenty of vehicles have been built with no antiroll bars at all.
I agree, like asking what size underwear should one buy?

The best advice I can give, whatever you buy first, can be bettered.
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

If the car is a Capri of the sort sold in NA, Europe and the UK back in the '70's it will use the A-R bar as a locating link, triangulating with the lower TCA. If that's the case it may not be possible to switch over to a 3-piece bar without modifying the chassis for an additional trailing link ( or is that leading link?).