Exhaust / intake flow ratios on LS heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Exhaust / intake flow ratios on LS heads

Post by Newold1 »

What is the general concensus on why the best flowing LS3, LS7 or LSX factory, CNC, aftermarket or aftermarket CNC heads cannot seem to achieve 70% plus E/I flows even on the bigger bore versions for the 454+ cubic inch LS engines. Obviously not as big a factor on supercharged or turbocharged engines but I wonder hoe a better ratio would benefit the N/A LS engines. ??
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Re: Exhaust / intake flow ratios on LS heads

Post by Warp Speed »

Most modern, 2 valve na race engines don't have very good "flow ratio" numbers.
Does flow ratio really mean anything?
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I have never seen exhaust flow be important

JOE SHERMAN RACING
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

If the engine would run better with a higher ex to in flowz ratio, just lower the intake flowz till it has the flowz ratio you desire, then it will run better.

Randy
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

there is only 14.7 PSI moving the air into a NA engine but there are 100s of pounds pushing out the exhaust. TF dragsters use it to increase down force and increase top speed depending on which way the exhaust outlet is positioned
phat68

Post by phat68 »

Around 60% of the exhaust pressure has bled off before bottom dead center and the piston will force most of whats left out.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I was talking with a Pontiac guy at the strip one day who was pissed off at his head porter because he found an additional 20cfm's on the intake side and couldn't improve the exhaust any. Makes sense to me...lol. I wonder if he would fill the intake ports with expanding foam to choke down the intake if it would go faster? He was complaining the car didn't pick up any and that it was because the exhaust flowed the same. I didn't hear him say he had ported the intake any...maybe there was something to that.
Larry Salisbury

Post by Larry Salisbury »

Most builders are not concerned with E/I ratios unless a tuned Intake/Exhaust system is required. It's only one piece of the puzzle, but an important one. When I order collectors from Jack Burns at least 81% average is desired for a properly designed functioning system. The hard part is to find a head that is at least close to this percentage; otherwise, a very expensive custom port job will be required to produce desirable E/I ratios. I was able to get in the "ballpark" with the Arias LS Hemi Heads when I was building the EFI AH427LSX for Nick Arias a few years back. We got roughly 79% E/I out of the box with the CNC ported versions.
Arias LS Hemi Cyl Head Flow Data.pdf
Larry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

I understand that if the more biased the exhaust ratio is the smaller exhaust duration you can run to get a broader torque curve and a cylinder fill efficiency
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Larry: You mentioning the word Hemi heads reminds me of my late fathers stockcar from the mid fifties. 1934 Ford Coupe with a 298" Desoto, 3 deuces, straight ALKY, biggest cam Isky had, a wopping .450 lift, Vertex Mag. on 1/4 mile dirt. He always said you dont need to worry about the exhaust side, just work at getting it in. Mark.
goldmember63

Post by goldmember63 »

I'm no expert but getting in in seems the hardest part.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I have always felt the intake was much more important than the exhaust

JOE SHERMAN RACING
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Goldmember63, you are exactly correct, it is the hardest part------------thats why the cylinder head design is SOOOOO important, and the most important single part of the engine or maybe i should say has the greatest effect on making H.P.
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

randy331 wrote:If the engine would run better with a higher ex to in flowz ratio, just lower the intake flowz till it has the flowz ratio you desire, then it will run better.

Randy
Thanks for the chuckle Randy! Quote of the year! :D
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

does the in/ex flow ratio have any meaningful bearing on the in/ex duration split/backsplit/no split you might choose?