Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: SUV ROLL DAMPENING

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Crash statistics show the modern late model SUV to have lowest fatality rate of passenger vehicles.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Olefud
Pro
Pro

Post by Olefud »

Keith Morganstein wrote:Crash statistics show the modern late model SUV to have lowest fatality rate of passenger vehicles.
That was our experience. Seat belts and airbags do wonders. An experienced driver helps.

What about crash data per se?
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

Yes, underdampened suspension can enhance oscillations in driving just like any feedback loop. Only difference is the human is the controller. If the controller is too simple (unexperienced) it cannot handle this. You must train your brain to behave like a PID loop to keep everything going stable if you don't want the oscillations to grow. The PID loop was actually developed by watching experienced seaman pilot ships...
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

Keith Morganstein wrote:Crash statistics show the modern late model SUV to have lowest fatality rate of passenger vehicles.
And there are a few factors in that ...

1. Universal application of ESP (stability control). These systems are calibrated to whatever the stock suspension calibration is, and no matter how badly the suspension works, ESP will do whatever it can to keep the rubber side down and the front out front. Result ... fewer fishtails, fewer spins off the road, and thus, fewer roll-overs. This makes a biiiig difference. It doesn't mean the underlying suspension is any better, the ESP just makes it work.

2. Most of them have been transitioning to unibody construction with a designed-for-the-purpose layout as opposed to being based on pickup truck frames. And this is coming hand in hand with much better design for crash protection.

3. Demographics. These are for the most part family vehicles driven by people who, demographically, have the lowest crash risk. Fortysomethings give or take. Same situation as minivans.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

TTT just for the heck of it..

He, He!!

And once while driving AP Green's Ford LN-7000 diesel powered Gunning Truck through the country coming home from a job, I topped a hill and lo-and behold, there was almost a 90 degree curve at its bottom!

I had that big old truck up on 3 wheels before I got around the curve!!

Scared me almost to death!!

I slowed down after that.

In fact, I turned the BSM Plastic Gunning Machine that I had been using on the job over... 18' box van....

pdq67