FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by PackardV8 »

This is the project from hell.
Mark, from the first post on this, I said to myself:

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what's a heaven for?

Words from a poem by Robert Browning, suggesting that, to achieve anything worthwhile, a person should attempt even those things that may turn out to be impossible.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I know there is a finite number of things that can possibly go wrong but this project is testing my faith in that belief.

I pulled the plugs in cym 1-6 +12 last night and found 5&6 probably gas fouled and 1-4+12 very lean. I guess look at the rest, replace any that are fouled, MOVE THE CAR OUTSIDE and try it again.

When it fired the VE was set to 180% which confuses me..... I didn't didn't get a chance to log anything or really even look at the screen as I like to have my eyes on the engine as it first comes alive (but couldn't see the floor behind it :( ) and didn't get a chance to check the pipes for heat to know for sure which were firing and which weren't as I normally would....so really I need a do-over now before I know what to work on. That 180 VE number could mean it just hates to be cold or could indicate I have a problem in my ECU math somewhere or both.....I need to get the wheels on, car out and try again with the log on.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

WOW and I thought my problems today were challenging!
I don't even have any great words of wisdom for you>>>>
Tom
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

The cleaners need to get to the ceiling over/under the car so the car officailly got kicked out of the shop today and sent to the garage where anything with fuel in it belongs l guess. The hvac guy was here today to talk about a separte system for the reduced as punishment and sealed off shop space......hopefully the funding for the detached proper size shop will get approved in the spring.....i had the whole basement :(

It also got its first bath in 10 years.

But now that its in the garage I can got back to trying to get it running right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

With the car down on its wheels and up in the the garage i walk past a couple times a day and see a perspective i haven't seen in years......that enge looks like it belongs there :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

Outstanding!
Tom
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

mk e wrote:that enge looks like it belongs there :)
yes it does!
Paul Rig

Post by Paul Rig »

Can I make 1 suggestion for first start up.
Remove anything adding fuel to your VE map, ie start up enrichment, cold enrichment and the rest. Start at 20 VE and keep going up by 5 VE until it starts then give it 5VE. It really helps on first starts because you got better things to do like check oil pressure and make sure all the exhausts are hot and no leaks.
Ignore your AF till your sure its firing on all cylinders.

And ah ...its a bitch when the fire extinguisher's dont work when you need them.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Paul Rig wrote:Can I make 1 suggestion for first start up.
Remove anything adding fuel to your VE map, ie start up enrichment, cold enrichment and the rest. Start at 20 VE and keep going up by 5 VE until it starts then give it 5VE. It really helps on first starts because you got better things to do like check oil pressure and make sure all the exhausts are hot and no leaks.
Ignore your AF till your sure its firing on all cylinders.

And ah ...its a bitch when the fire extinguisher's dont work when you need them.
Yes, I turn off all correction normally.

1st start need the VE at 180 before it would fire.....I had an error in my code :oops:

I restarted it Tuesday with a corrected model, VE at 50% and this time I turned on the CLT correction because it is a global correction and I planned to use it as a global trim. It was cold (10C) so I guess 50% and it fired right up but really didn't want to rev. Shut it off and checked that the throttle was working (it was) and there was heat in all the pipe (there was)...but then it had no interest in restarting, wet plugs so I guess to high on fuel which explains the easy cold start and no interest reving.

At that point the battery was a little low, Honey would be home soon (I was supposed to be doing house work) and I thought it best to let everything dry out a bit...no need to risk a fire :)

The way the model in the ECU works VE is what its doing compared to what it could do under current conditions, so basically normalized the Baro and MAP so I'll be really surprised if it wants a number below 50%....but next time I'll go with the clt at 0 a....wait....sh!t, I just found another error, this time in the CLT correction so it was multplying the required fuel by 150 instead of 1.5. #-o

Alright....I've made a lot of major changes to the model since I last went through and checked all the math, so clearly rechecking all the math is up before any more attemps to start it. :oops:
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

:hello2:
i wanna hear this thing run
video the next start eh?
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

englertracing wrote::hello2:
i wanna hear this thing run
video the next start eh?
I'll try.....but between watching the sensors and watching for fire I haven't had the chance as its only got about 2 minutes total run time now and Honey has me on house work so I only get to play when no one's home to watch me doing house work. I'll try though.

At the moment the basement shop is dead and the plan is a detached garage/shop. It was to be 28x40...or maybe 30x40 but I got some bad news from the zoning guy and 20' wide is the most I can fit where I planned to build and I probably can go over 44 feet long....maybe 50, not sure so its not going to be as big as I'd hoped unless I move it to the back of the property but I can't run a driveway back because as of 2013 he have a hard-scape rule so over 1000sqft total new hardscape I need to catch the water and put it into a dry well or similar so it doesn't leave the property.....easy enough with a roof to dump gutters into a drywell but not so easy with a long ass driveway so that means I'd need to hie an engineering firm, regrade everything and Id be out at least $20k+ before I even started building the $15k garage :shock:

.....so 20x44 (or so) it is unless I tear out trees and maybe move the pool fence so I can go in instead of out....but then the door would either point at the back of my house which is not helpful or at a big hill that would need to be removed, retaining wall in and 500ish sqft of driveway added. For $800 win or lose I can request a variance and if it was a small functional garage I might get one but I suspect a garage-mahal project in a residential neighborhood would not be high on the list of things they want to approve....so back to 20x44 with no eves/overhangs because they would be over the line ...which is 50ft from the property line...not 3, not 20 but 50 feet to maintain an "open feeling" I was told but since my property is narrow and deep in bask is where I can build...but not if I want a driveway.

Oh, and in order for funding to be approve by Honey it also needs a a bathroom accessible from the pool area so wet children stay outside and off her wood floors and there needs to be room for the mower and other yard stuff. A lot of requirements, I think I have it and can turn the draftsman loose Monday, oh, and as or a couple years ago we now need an engineering stamp on the drawings so another $500.

Anyway, its laid out I think, a 6x6 powder room/changing room in the corner that connects to the patio and a short driveway extension to get to a single entry door. I put the mower door in the back, door so honey can put her garden stuff in easily. Work shop behind the powder room along the no window wall(that is right up against a tree row) with lawn stuff in the last 10-14 feet leaving a 12-14 wide by 44 long car space...so I can have 2 cars in, but they need to be end to end.

Today's project is to start painting the now black basement ceiling to seal the soot but it is joists, ducts, wire and just a horrible job. So off to buy an airless sprayer...and most likely cover myself with paint.

Stupid fire!

Anyway its all keeping from working on the car :(
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
MarioR

Post by MarioR »

Hi, great project. I'm wondering a bit, every area has their own rules of course, but I've staked out a lot of home and garage foundations and never seen overhangs limited by set back rules. If they have support posts, yes, but otherwise the set backs applied to the walls of the structure.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

MarioR wrote:Hi, great project. I'm wondering a bit, every area has their own rules of course, but I've staked out a lot of home and garage foundations and never seen overhangs limited by set back rules. If they have support posts, yes, but otherwise the set backs applied to the walls of the structure.
You know....I"m not sure. I was talking to the zoning guy about a bunch of things and for sure the total roof size including any overhangs is counted as impermeable surface, But I didn't specifically ask about overhangs and set-backs...I juust assumed and figured I'd add the gutters after to save 6" :) I'll ask though.....I'm not sure it changes anything though becaus I don't want overhangs on the side the abutts the trees so to make it look right they need to be off both sides. I need to ask though.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

I finished my 30x40 quick in 2012 to avoid that water runoff / hardscape rule change.

I think the setback min was 15' for my zoning requirements...and the corner of my outer wall is 15'6" from the line LOL. To be sure I paid a surveyor just to double check the lines were correct and clearly mark out the border.
my lot is not 'square' and quite confusing.
looks like a fun project there
too lazy to make power w/o boost
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

A_VAS wrote:I finished my 30x40 quick in 2012 to avoid that water runoff / hardscape rule change.
I didn't realize the rule was changing :(
Mark
Mechanical Engineer