Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: Pumpkin pie?

Post by mk e »

Costco is known for low prices not quality. The libby's stuff we use seems to be exactly what it's always been. I remember years ago a buddy and his wife were over and she wanted the recipe for the cookies and when we gave it to her she sadi that was the same one she used but her cookies tasted nothing like ours.....hmmmm.....what kind of peanut butter do you use?

The generic, it's just cookies

well....you have your answer. That stuff tastes like dirt and its the flavor you put in you cookies and you wonder why the cookies taste like dirt?

You get what you pay for. Try Libby's pumpkin and I'm sure the pie will taste like you remember pumpkin pie tasting.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
turbo2256b
Pro
Pro

Post by turbo2256b »

My lady makes them from scratch.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

How hard is it to peal and de-seed a pumpkin, cube it up and boil it, then mash it down so that you have REAL pumpkin pie making stuff??

AND you CAN buy pumpkins used JUST for pies if you look around..............

Kinda like making, "mashed potatoes", as far as I am concerned...

Oh, don't throw the seeds away, but rather clean them from the, "pulp", dry them and fry or roast them with a bit of salt and they taste as good as Sunflower Seeds, imho.. Eat the suckers whole and use their outer shell fiber to help regulate you.

If you don't want to mess with a pumpkin, then consider Sweet Potatoes instead! Probably will taste the same...

pdq67
Nefario

Post by Nefario »

exhaustgases wrote:......its a squashed topic on the net, as there is not much on the topic.
Heh. That's cause "canned pumpkin" is CREAMED BUTTERNUT SQUASH. And I've noticed gritty bites in recent pumpkin pies while my wife didn't. We never found a good explanation nor could I find an actual piece of dirt.

Growing up in the 60's I'd help my grandmother make real pumpkin pies starting with a home grown pumpkin that produced an aluminum dish pan full of pumpkin cubes that had to be cooked down. I've made real pumpkin pies for my in-laws Thanksgiving in the past and hardly anyone ate it. It wasn't their traditional brown glop. Real pumpkin is kinda stringy, usually orange, and usually doesn't need many spices for good flavor.
Dave
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Yes, it's kinda like eating good virgin PUSSY!!

You have to go through the hair ta get to the good part!!

pdq67

PS, I'm sorry Don, but couldn't help myself!!