A New Engine Contest

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Gregory

A New Engine Contest

Post by Gregory »

Engine builders, keep your spirits up; the cavalry is on the way! We are working on a new engine contest.
Unfortunately the "corporate suits" got their hands on the EMC. In the new contest, the participants will have more
say in the rules.
Because of the success of the EMC (before HRM) there is great interest from other sponsors and a media outlet.
If any of you guys have any thoughts, go ahead and post them; we're open to suggestions.
We are hoping we will be ready to roll for 2017 and we can promise that applicants will not be strung out waiting to hear if they are in the contest or not.
To the staff at HRM if you are reading this: there is enough room for both contests; you want to appeal to the level of your readers and we are going for a higher level.
Special recognition to Walter Malik for having the balls for speaking the truth.

Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356
kid7755
Pro
Pro
Re: A New Engine Contest

Post by kid7755 »

Whu? Crazy! Hi Greg. It's been awhile. I'm wondering who "we" is. Just curious.

Also, where would contest be? Maybe bullet point some overview facts.

Henderson
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

The "we"are several names you would recognize. They will remain anonymous for the time being.
It will take more time to nail down details and get commitments, but I can say there is good acceptance out there
for an other option to the EMC. The boys over at HRM need a little competition.
Greg
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

I would rather think of this new contest as an expanded option for engine builders and not just competing
with the EMC although they may become a little more responsive to those who make the music.
As far as bullet points this would be a HP/C.I. scoring, but there wouldn't be the micro managing such
as the size of your piston rings, what your connecting rod are made of, has to be OEM port layout and
my favorite, yes you can use epoxy in your manifold/heads.
Greg
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

WoW,

An extreme engine contest AND a milder engine contest could become a good thing.

I entered a few of the Mopar engine contests before that went by the wayside.

Somewhere, there will need to be a final say of rules being FAIR to most everyone because, you are simply not going to get everyone to agree.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Bulletbob

Post by Bulletbob »

"Great News"!!! Interesting that you should bring that subject up Greg, as you were thinking the same thing as others are. It seems as though the "LUSTER" of the EMC has dwindled away since the take over. I feel as though the competitors do not get the notoriety as they once did. Glad to see that something is being done. If you need any help, please let me know. If anyone is interested in getting something together please give Greg or myself a call.
Bob McDonald
828-850-1536
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

I just saw an entry list for 2016 EMC. I am not on that list.
If that posting is accurate I will step in to join your alternate contest.
I have some ideas and might be able to help out a bit.
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

This could get interesting. Count me in. J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
manyponies

Post by manyponies »

Two thumbs up!! .............. if only I had more thumbs.........at least I have two more than my dog :P
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

I am all for it. It is painful to see what they did to the contest and their flat out refusal to listen to the competitors that made the competition great.

If you need I can bring more than one engine if I have it to get things going. If you listen to the competitors that do the competition and sells the products it will go well.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

I'm glad to report there has been a ground swell of support for a new contest.
Going back to a Street and Extreme Street seems to be the favorite.
Keep the comments coming.
Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Gregory wrote: Going back to a Street and Extreme Street seems to be the favorite.
And Vintage!
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
kid7755
Pro
Pro

Post by kid7755 »

Excited about the possibility of getting spanked at an engine competition twice a year instead of only once. The wife is going to be sooooooo jealous. :wink:
Bulletbob

Post by Bulletbob »

Thanks for the input. We (meaning Greg and I) are working through details for the new competition. Keep the phone calls coming as we have had an enormous response in the past 24 hrs concerning the new venue. The biggest thing that we need from those who are interested is a possible commitment to be there so that we can get everything in line to make this happen. We are not here to "bash" Hot Rod magazine in any way, but we do want to give some options. We understand that the challenge was thought of as a reunion among us. It was a time to share our thoughts and ideas and learn from other competitors. In the past, the rules were always posted at the PRI show. Applications were then taken starting Jan. 15 thru Feb. 15 and then by March 15 you knew if you were competing. There is no reason as to why there can not be another competition just like there was before with the same amount of coverage as there use to be. There is not just one drag strip or race track in the country, so surely there could be two competitions. Please keep the phone calls coming.
Thanks
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Hot Rod magazine can have Vintage (which I think is really cool), Spec Big Block, Spec Small Block, Nitrous Class or anything else they can dream up that they think their readers want. We want to go back to a real engine building contest without the nit-picking rules so there can be more creativity. There is certainly room here for more than one contest. Stay tuned.
Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356