Brodix B1 capability?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

superjunk

Brodix B1 capability?

Post by superjunk »

Anybody know what these things are capable of? 2.3 intake valves 600 c.i. sheet metal, two dominators, and dry sump. Just dynoed this thing and all it will do is 935. Never messed with a whole lot of mopar stuff before so I don't know what to shoot for. Heads have major valve job problems and the floor of intake port needs to be fixed. Any input is appreciated.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Brodix B1 capability?

Post by Keith Morganstein »

superjunk wrote:Anybody know what these things are capable of? 2.3 intake valves 600 c.i. sheet metal, two dominators, and dry sump. Just dynoed this thing and all it will do is 935. Never messed with a whole lot of mopar stuff before so I don't know what to shoot for. Heads have major valve job problems and the floor of intake port needs to be fixed. Any input is appreciated.
You are way down on power.

They are capable of up to 2hp/cu inch.

A good friend and builder did one of the first big B1's around here.

It was a 685 inch B1 that made 1350-1370 hp with a similar induction system.

You should be able to make up to 1200hp.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
ou812
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ou812 »

Got any pics of the floor that needs fixing or the valve seats??
superjunk

Re: Brodix B1 capability?

Post by superjunk »

Max Effort wrote:
superjunk wrote:Anybody know what these things are capable of? 2.3 intake valves 600 c.i. sheet metal, two dominators, and dry sump. Just dynoed this thing and all it will do is 935. Never messed with a whole lot of mopar stuff before so I don't know what to shoot for. Heads have major valve job problems and the floor of intake port needs to be fixed. Any input is appreciated.
You are way down on power.

They are capable of up to 2hp/cu inch.

A good friend and builder did one of the first big B1's around here.

It was a 685 inch B1 that made 1350-1370 hp with a similar induction system.

You should be able to make up to 1200hp.
That's about what I thought. Don't know who did these heads but they are a mess. Have any idea what kind of flow numbers these heads should produce?
superjunk

Post by superjunk »

ou812 wrote:Got any pics of the floor that needs fixing or the valve seats??
I'll see if I can't post pics when I get the heads back off. Floor has a big dip in it.
Dan Barton
Pro
Pro

Post by Dan Barton »

There are 2 different B1 heads, a wedge head which is what I think you have and a canted valve head which is what the Wayne County guys used to run... I have worked with both many years ago and did a wedge head with I believe had a 2.300 intake and a 1.750 exhaust, engine had a sheetmetal intake with 2 dominators and an aluminum block with a 4.500 bore, the engine was about 520 inches if I remember correctley and made about 1025 horse power and 765 torque or so... this was about 10 years ago and we thought it was decent at the time. We had also done some of the canted stuff for competition eliminator that was 430 inches or so and at the time, early 1990's made 2.35 to 2.4 per inch, decent at the time but a joke by todays standards!!! If I remember correctley the wedge heads with a 2.300 intake on a 4.500 bore flowed in the 430 to 440 cfm range at .800 lift with resonable mid lift numbers.
superjunk

Post by superjunk »

Here are some pics of the dip in the floor. At least .100 dip. Anybody see any purpose in this. Seems to me it just defeats the purpose of a raised runner.Image
toddcalo
Pro
Pro

Post by toddcalo »

superjunk wrote:Here are some pics of the dip in the floor. At least .100 dip. Anybody see any purpose in this. Seems to me it just defeats the purpose of a raised runner.Image

There probbaly trying to mantain the proper cross sectional area through the push rod pinch.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

Are those B1 original heads? They'll make plenty of power if the combo is correct. Lots of B1 experts around with Koffel being the logical place to talk to first. Jeff at Modern Cylinder probably knows a thing or two about B1 heads. Try Chuck at Best Machine in Warren MI also. Best Machine has brought back the B1 PSO head (pro stock option) and it is probably the best head currently available for a big block Mopar.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Dan Barton
Pro
Pro

Post by Dan Barton »

That is an original B1 or what I referrered to as the wedge B1, the stuff that I worked on I oval ported them and welded the side of the port and used an offset lifter and rocker to open up the pinch point, when I oval ported it I did it with epoxy and fixed the dip at the same time.