Watts Link - Good, or bad idea?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Re: Watts Link - Good, or bad idea?

Post by BCjohnny »

There was even a ful 'X-Frame' location kit available, doubling up the one in the pic, IIRC.
Calypso
Pro
Pro

Post by Calypso »

BCjohnny wrote:There was even a ful 'X-Frame' location kit available, doubling up the one in the pic, IIRC.
True, although I don't see it adding really anything but weight and complexity.
Calypso
Pro
Pro

Post by Calypso »

MadBill wrote:Had not seen this configuration before! Apart from the difficulty of adjusting the RC height as desired, it's simple, lightweight, takes up little real estate, etc.
It's beautiful in it's simplicity, isn't it. :D
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

Calypso wrote:
MadBill wrote:Had not seen this configuration before! Apart from the difficulty of adjusting the RC height as desired, it's simple, lightweight, takes up little real estate, etc.
It's beautiful in it's simplicity, isn't it. :D
Probably a bit better than without it, but it looks like the springs, shackles, and spring eye bushings all would still add their compliance that would let the axle shift laterally under the car.
Calypso
Pro
Pro

Post by Calypso »

I think you are pessimistic on the effectiveness. Front bushings have an impact depending how solid they are, but the triangulation comes quite close to them, so the spring and shackle impact less. Capri guys say it improves the rear end behavior on track remarkably and they keep using it. Some of the systems with flat bars and u-bolts look quite unattractive, but the clock doesn't know it.
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

this is probably the only system that will ever work .... a pommie invention I think, check with BCJOHNNY
some one may be able to expand the link to pictures

https://www.google.co.nz/search?tbm=isc ... 482%3B1040
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

lada ok

The 'Mumford link' is a good system where you need a really low RC (even to the extent of placing it below ground level), or you need to keep the lateral link(s) out of any ground effects, etc.

For most people a Watts linkage gets it done, without the complication, assuming it's not in conflict with anything else in the installation ......
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

will it work on me lada :?: :roll:
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Anything works on a Lada!

For lateral "support" With a Panhard rod for simplicity. There might be a kit available, more or less made to fit Your veichle. Make it run parallell to the axle.

However, if you're not familiar With fabricating Your own stuff, go With the A (or X) as mentioned above; it Works quite good. We've tried it on road race cars With success. But also went 11.5 in the 1/4's.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

Caprimaniac wrote:Anything works on a Lada!

For lateral "support" With a Panhard rod for simplicity. There might be a kit available, more or less made to fit Your veichle. Make it run parallell to the axle.

However, if you're not familiar With fabricating Your own stuff, go With the A (or X) as mentioned above; it Works quite good. We've tried it on road race cars With success. But also went 11.5 in the 1/4's.
it has one as a stock feature..
special features are .. armstrong steering and windows, ..and heated rear window.so your hands don't get cold when pushing it :lol:
turboivo

Post by turboivo »

Here is my Mumford on 2105 Lada. The rear axle is from Volvo 940. The car is still in the pit:

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Calypso wrote:Another option would be axle location like used in Tickford Capri. Mostly unknown in US leaf spring cars, but quite popular with British Fords. There are many variations of the theme if you google "Capri axle location kit". It's simple and takes little space from over axle exhaust.

I'm thinking this solution here is a simple band aid compromise. That is a back handed compliment. I'm thinking in roll, there is an inherent bind, and the main giveaway, the 45 Deg leaf to housing braces are connected a distance away from the front leaf eye, the most rigid locating point, the reason being I suspect, it is to allow some compliance. So in this case, it might be solving one problem, but adding another. IMO, and take the above with a large grain of salt.

In the OP's application, exhaust routing with a watts behind the rear axle, is likely very cumbersome.