400 SBC bob weights?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Walline

400 SBC bob weights?

Post by Walline »

Does anyone have knowledge, of a 400 SBC crank(stock or scat 9000), bob weight, without the external balancer, and flex plate.( I have an external balance crank, but 350 chevy flex plate and balncer. What would the bob wieght be. Say I ran 350 flex plate and balancer. How much bob weight would I loose? I have not yet decided on pistons and rods, just trying to get an idea! Has anyone tried anything lkike that before? Thanks Everyone!!!
0260IN3

Bob Weight

Post by 0260IN3 »

If your crank is designed as a stock 400 crank (external balance) you must use 400 SBC balancer and flexplate unless you want to add malory to the crank (or your rods and pistons are from a D9 Cat engine) The scat or stock crank a engineered to use factory hang ons and usually the only cranks that are internal are ones desgned for 6" rods (from Scat/Eagle etc)

Hope this helps
Mark

ex engine builder/machinist now living the dream........
Walline

Post by Walline »

I understand about the added weight of the external balance of the 400 balancer and flexplate, my question, is if any one knows what they are worth in bob wieght, off the top of there head. Thanks for the reply though.
BRENT FAY

Post by BRENT FAY »

A bobweight # to have a 3.750 internally balance and use your 350 flex plate and balancer would depend on crank make and material and if cammed for a 6.00 rod. You would need a bobweight around 1750 gr. But I would have to look back through the cranks I had balanced and look at the notes I kept on them. So you might be able to go a little heavier. I'll try to do that later today for you. Brent