ignition timing at WOT question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

ignition timing at WOT question

Post by Belgian1979 »

This is a question related to EFI, but with some comparison to the conventional distributors used on SBC gen I's.

Let's assume WOT. Usually a SBC is given 36° or around that as maximum advance coming in at around 2800-3000 rpm. It stays there in a conventional distributor because the weights are maxed out.
In an EFI system it is possible to put less spark in at higher rpm, like 33 or 34 or so. Would this be benificial because the mixture is more homogenous and due to the higher compression pressures the burn rate is supposed to be faster or would it be better to have it stay at the 36°.

I currently have 36° from 2800 rpm onwards to max rpm. I was thinking of bringing this down somewhat to say 33° at above 4000 rpm. However my engine is a large bore short stroke, long rod combo which would play a part as well.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: ignition timing at WOT question

Post by BOOT »

6al2 programmable
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

Hypothetical question really
Only you'll know by testing.
1 ; seat of the pants feel
2 ; race the clock
3 ; rolling road

peak power settings often don't pan out to best overall performance
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

It would take a fair bit of dyno time, but with the full control of spark advance in small RPM increments as provided by most EFI systems, you can develop the 'perfect' curve then adjust overall or 'here and there' as required, guided by street and/or track results. For example the old TPI long runner Camaro/Corvette pulled out several degrees in the resonant tuned RPM range (~ 3200 RPM, AIR). You might find that above peak torque slight increments are required every 500 RPM up to red line.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
140Air
Guru
Guru

Post by 140Air »

MadBill wrote:It would take a fair bit of dyno time, but with the full control of spark advance in small RPM increments as provided by most EFI systems, you can develop the 'perfect' curve then adjust overall or 'here and there' as required, guided by street and/or track results. For example the old TPI long runner Camaro/Corvette pulled out several degrees in the resonant tuned RPM range (~ 3200 RPM, AIR). You might find that above peak torque slight increments are required every 500 RPM up to red line.
Bill is right, this is the way to go. I'll just add that IMHO if you have a ping detector (and you should have one) and especially if you have automatic ping retard, you need to monitor it. You might make best power at the verge of pinging or not, but you definitely don't want to get into heavy ping and you don't want to trigger automatic retard.
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

MadBill wrote:It would take a fair bit of dyno time, but with the full control of spark advance in small RPM increments as provided by most EFI systems, you can develop the 'perfect' curve then adjust overall or 'here and there' as required, guided by street and/or track results. For example the old TPI long runner Camaro/Corvette pulled out several degrees in the resonant tuned RPM range (~ 3200 RPM, AIR). You might find that above peak torque slight increments are required every 500 RPM up to red line.
or......... the perfect curve could be dialed in, in 3 engine tests, even without a dyno, using our equipment. The first test to see where the engine is at, as is, the second test to see where the engine is at with the recommended adjustments made, and the third test only if the second test was not perfect.

Automatic optimization of the combustion process relative to TDC (for all rpm blocks), saves a lot of time and brain power :)
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
Sweet P

Post by Sweet P »

nitro2

"or......... the perfect curve could be dialed in, in 3 engine tests, even without a dyno, using our equipment."

Can you educate me on your equipment?
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

Sweet P wrote:nitro2

"or......... the perfect curve could be dialed in, in 3 engine tests, even without a dyno, using our equipment."

Can you educate me on your equipment?

Our combustion pressure analyzers do the regular things like record cylinder pressure and/or port pressures relative to crank angle, determine IMEP, IHP, IT, VE per cylinder per combustion cycle, energy release and energy release rates per combustion cycle etc. etc. etc.

However, not so commonly found, and relative to my statement above, our equipment will automatically go through every combustion cycle of every instrumented cylinder and determine how much sooner or later (in degrees) that the entire combustion process should have occurred, in order to have made the most uumph (IMEP, IT, IHP) for each and every combustion cycle. The software then automatically plots how far off of optimal the combustion process is located (in degrees) vs. rpm. The end user uses that knowledge to program in the relevant changes in ignition timing, so that the combustion process will be optimal for all rpm blocks for the very next test. If the programming changes were done correctly timing will be perfect for all rpm blocks on the second test, if not then one more iteration (test) will do the trick.

Obviously if after that some other kinds of significant mods are made to the engine, it might change things enough that the combustion process location has to be re-adjusted again, but that only takes another 1 or 2 more tests.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Where do you get the pressure readings from? Do you have to drill holes to the combustion chamber or can it be done with a modified spark plug? I actually have a set of SB2.2 Hendricks heads that have combustion pressure ports drilled.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

jmarkaudio wrote:Where do you get the pressure readings from? Do you have to drill holes to the combustion chamber or can it be done with a modified spark plug? I actually have a set of SB2.2 Hendricks heads that have combustion pressure ports drilled.

The combustion sensor can either be in the spark plug, or in the head itself.

I always find it curious that OEMs have been tuning with combustion pressure for years, but they never make the production heads with the combustion pressure ports left in them.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

I agree that something like that looks like a great tool and I remember you spoke about this before, unfortunately this is way beyond my budget.
Sweet P

Post by Sweet P »

Nitro2 do you have a website?
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

Sweet P wrote:Nitro2 do you have a website?
click on his name and the board takes you to the persons information including email, PM, websites etc to the extent the individual wants this information published. Clint (nitro2) is really good about information and emails about his system.
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

I've used parts of Clint's equipment (the combustion pressure sensors and logging) and it worked really good once I got the hang of it. It's ridiculously easy to build the perfect timing curve in a few tests on the dyno. However, Implementing and characterizing knock sensors is not as easy as it would seem. I'm sure Yves can find the best timing and fuel mix using the standard practices hotrodders have used for years . If he wanted/needed to make changes to ignition timing based on RPM, MAP, coolant temp, inlet air temp, or just about anything else - he can do it pretty easily now. This is reward of seeing a first-time EFI project to completion.
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

Belgian1979 wrote:I agree that something like that looks like a great tool and I remember you spoke about this before, unfortunately this is way beyond my budget.
I remember. I wasn't suggesting our equipment as an option for yourself in particular, I was just giving Madbill some FFT :)
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com