running solid roller lifters on a hydraulic roller cam

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JuicedBu
running solid roller lifters on a hydraulic roller cam

Post by JuicedBu »

I've read some places that there's no problem in doing this and have a friend who ran one like this all last season but I'm just wondering what some of your opinions or experiances are with this. I was told to run tighter lash and my friend seemed to have good luck with this.
ACE

Post by ACE »

Juiced-- Back when Johnson Lifters firsted closed their doors, roller hydraulic lifters were tough to find. Some imports hit the market and they were junk. I had 3 engines to build and dyno test, and the import roller hydraulics were having problems, and I dropped in some solids and changed pushrods and they worked fine. I tried lash @ .003, .005, & .010. I sent them out with .005 and have had no problems. Go for it.
JuicedBu
Post by JuicedBu »

Are there any benefits/drawbacks from doing this.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Greetings, All,

No expertise here, but long experience. Back in the bad old days of primitive valve springs and the first hydraulic roller cam lobe technology, it was a bit touchy to run solids on a hydraulic profile. With today's fast action solid lifter profiles, they have little to no lash or clearance ramps built in anyway. Not as great a difference to begin with. Better valve springs are a huge help in getting away with this.

My question is, since a camshaft is such a two-dollar item in the overall cost of a performance engine today, why would anyone want less than the best possible cam profile and performance?

thnx, jv.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
JuicedBu
Post by JuicedBu »

I just have some parts laying around for a low buck build.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

I have been running solid roller lifters on Comp Cams hyd roller cams for about 5 years.Comp told me to set them at 6 thou.You do need to run the solid roller springs.I run 200 on the seat.I have the same setup in 3 engines with quite a bit of street driving with no problems.Tom
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

roller cams

Post by bigjoe1 »

About four years ago, There was a class out here on the west coast where you had to run hydraulic lifters . I got trogether with my cam designer guy at Comp Cams, and we came up with a killer combo that really worked. He told me what lobe profiles to use and I put hydraulic roller lifters on a pretty stout mechanical roller profile. It would rev right up to 7500 or 7800 RPM and was no problem at all.. I have not heard of anyone going the other way (solids on a hyd profile)JOE SHERMAN RACING
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Joe,it was Dean Harvey that had me go to solids as he did not feel comfortable running the hyd rollers on their 400 lobe lift cam at over 6500RPMs.That was on a RA V pontiac.Tom