Freezing cam bearings before installation?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru
Freezing cam bearings before installation?

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Hello Gents,

I was reading article wich a Clevite engineer reccomended to install cam bearings DRY without oil or any other lubricant.

I always install cam bearings with a light coat of engine oil on the block and on the bearing to avoid galling. Probably the engineer suggest dry instalation to reduce the risk of bearing spin on its bore on initial startup or ???

That said, I'd like to hear your comments about dry bearing installation. Would be a good idea freeze them to make the installation easier and trouble free in this case?

Thanks
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Re: Freezing cam bearings before installation?

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

I never install cam bearings dry either. What method for installing the dry bearings did the article state? I don't think they would suggest it to reduce the chance of the bearing spinning, that is what the crush for is for.

I have never thought about shrink fitting cam bearings, would also be interested to know if anybody has done it. Can't see why it wouldn't work apart from doing something unwanted to the bearing material??
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

Funny, I never have put any oil on cam bearings before installing them and never really thought to do so :( . Jason
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

I was reading article wich a Clevite engineer reccomended to install cam bearings DRY without oil or any other lubricant.
He's on crack and his products quality control just re-endorses it.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Strange Magic wrote:
He's on crack and his products quality control just re-endorses it.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Ok--u can put my thoughts in with the many other quacks but my thoughts are that freezing a tri or 2 ply bearing could create a problem. You are freezing a dissimilar metal or semi metal bearing. Their rates of expansion and contraction may be totally different and you could get some separation of those dissimilar metals. I doubt if the engineers tested that. Hey man, just my thoughts.
reed
victorymachine

Post by victorymachine »

BigBro74 wrote: Funny, I never have put any oil on cam bearings before installing them and never really thought to do so :( . Jason
Same here.....Also, never had any problems that I know of...
racear2865 wrote:Ok--u can put my thoughts in with the many other quacks but my thoughts are that freezing a tri or 2 ply bearing could create a problem. You are freezing a dissimilar metal or semi metal bearing. Their rates of expansion and contraction may be totally different and you could get some separation of those dissimilar metals. I doubt if the engineers tested that. Hey man, just my thoughts.
reed
Not picking on you reed, just more food for thought, but if we are talking an actual freezer (and not liquid nitrogen or CO2), then it's going to get colder than they are overnight here. :) Even colder up north, surely somebody thought about those bearings needing to withstand that?
Daniel McCleskey
Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

racear2865 wrote:Ok--u can put my thoughts in with the many other quacks but my thoughts are that freezing a tri or 2 ply bearing could create a problem. You are freezing a dissimilar metal or semi metal bearing. Their rates of expansion and contraction may be totally different and you could get some separation of those dissimilar metals. I doubt if the engineers tested that. Hey man, just my thoughts. reed
Think about it. Say we take the bearing from 68 degrees to -10F. That's a 78 degree variance and one which it would see in most northern tier states every winter. Then, we run the engine pretty hard and it sees a 268-degree oil temp. That's a 280-degree variance. Pretty safe to say the engineers are comfortable with the tri-metal bearings hanging together over a 280-degree operating range.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

If I froze my bearings,I would never be able to remove my installation arbor. Maybe mine is a little larger than some, the snug fit helps alignment.
So much to do, so little time...
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

racear2865 wrote:Ok--u can put my thoughts in with the many other quacks but my thoughts are that freezing a tri or 2 ply bearing could create a problem. You are freezing a dissimilar metal or semi metal bearing. Their rates of expansion and contraction may be totally different and you could get some separation of those dissimilar metals. I doubt if the engineers tested that. Hey man, just my thoughts.
reed
What do you think happens to bearings in every engine in every car is frozen climates?
Watch the first 2 minutes...they run the engine at full throttle for an hour than freeze it to 20 below then run it up over 200 degrees over and over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jCmu6qJXX4#t=102
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Ok ,crap. yall have convinced me. Im gonna freeze mine from now on.
reed
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Cubic_Cleveland wrote:I never install cam bearings dry either. What method for installing the dry bearings did the article state? I don't think they would suggest it to reduce the chance of the bearing spinning, that is what the crush for is for.

I have never thought about shrink fitting cam bearings, would also be interested to know if anybody has done it. Can't see why it wouldn't work apart from doing something unwanted to the bearing material??

This is the quote that caught my attention:

"Before installing cam bearings, wipe all cam bores with a fast-drying solvent to create a clean and dry bore surface. Installation of cam bearings into the block must be done carefully to avoid shaving material from the outside diameter of the bearings. This galling action can easily cause a buildup of excess material between the bearing and the block's bearing bore, which will "squeeze" the bearing, resulting in oil clearance reduction at the bearing inside diameter"

Read more: http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/tec ... z2peqbmq4x

The article didn't state that the bearings itself must be dry, but the quote above gives that idea IMO.
'71 Z28 street strip car
NEW BEST ET

BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

racear2865 wrote:Ok ,crap. yall have convinced me. Im gonna freeze mine from now on.
reed

Yep, my idea was freezing the bearings into a refrigerator, say about -10° C and not with CO2 . That would make installation much safer wouldn't it?
'71 Z28 street strip car
NEW BEST ET

BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

BigBro74 wrote:Funny, I never have put any oil on cam bearings before installing them and never really thought to do so :( . Jason

Generally you want a lubricant anytime you assemble two parts with interference fit, or galling will be a sure bet.

Some gearbox bearings are frozen in liquid nitrogen before installation into the trans case to make things easier and avoid damage.
'71 Z28 street strip car
NEW BEST ET

Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote:
This is the quote that caught my attention:

"Before installing cam bearings, wipe all cam bores with a fast-drying solvent to create a clean and dry bore surface. Installation of cam bearings into the block must be done carefully to avoid shaving material from the outside diameter of the bearings. This galling action can easily cause a buildup of excess material between the bearing and the block's bearing bore, which will "squeeze" the bearing, resulting in oil clearance reduction at the bearing inside diameter"

Read more: http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/tec ... z2peqbmq4x

The article didn't state that the bearings itself must be dry, but the quote above gives that idea IMO.
I agree that above quote is a bit unclear. Even though it doesn't say to, this is my reason to always lube the bearings : Installation of cam bearings into the block must be done carefully to avoid shaving material from the outside diameter of the bearing.
Deburring the bore and bearing plus lube goes along way to avoiding this.