how much oil pressure is too much?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ap72
Guru
Guru
how much oil pressure is too much?

Post by ap72 »

I'm looking at various high pressure springs for the standard sbc oil pump and I'm curious as to how high is too high? I know higher pressure means more parasitic loss but I'd rather trade that for dependability.

I see they have a 90lb spring... dare I venture that high?
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
rickseeman

Re: how much oil pressure is too much?

Post by rickseeman »

Why would you?
perfconn
Pro
Pro

Post by perfconn »

Volume is what cools the bearings not pressure
governor
Expert
Expert

Post by governor »

What block? if it is a block with priority oiling mains much less is needed. Also your bearing clearance has to enter in, so no cut and dried question. 90lb hell no!

Gov
a passion for racing
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

and more pressure means more volume, right?

standard block, LT1 actually.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

I need to check the clearances this weekend.

If 90lb is a hell no, what is the max?
governor
Expert
Expert

Post by governor »

What block? what oil pan. 65lb hot is plenty, in my SHP block motors I run 45-50lb hot with HV not HP pumps.

Gov
a passion for racing
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

If you are looking for dependability, then go with a high volume oil pump and shoot for maximum pressure around 50# in a warmed up engine. Excessive pressure is not necessary and no, higher pressure does not result in more volume.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

already have a HV pump with a larger pickup and a ported inlet and rear main cap. I was just looking to get all I can out of the oiling system.

On the same note, 1/2 groove or 3/4 groove main bearings?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Higher pressure will allow a greater volume of entrained air to enter solution IF the air bubbles are of sufficiently small size. Greater cooling ability with flow subsumes ideal fluids, not highly aerated ones. That being said, if you have a situation where there is a lot of aeration then that points to a separate set of problems that should be addressed particularly if reliability is your goal.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

Here's a thought:

If a high-volume pump is installed that's capable of gobs of pressure but it's regulated by a 50 or 60 pound spring, isn't it simply bypassing that extra volume? If that's the case, wouldn't a standard-volume pump with the same spring make more sense?

Shawn
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

1/2 groove main bearings.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

swatson454 wrote:Here's a thought:

If a high-volume pump is installed that's capable of gobs of pressure but it's regulated by a 50 or 60 pound spring, isn't it simply bypassing that extra volume? If that's the case, wouldn't a standard-volume pump with the same spring make more sense?

Shawn
HV pumps move more oil below the pressure relief point- lower rpm. at rpm then yes the std volume pump will flow the same.

That much I know, but I'm a water hydraulics guy, not an engine bearing durability guy.
Fordracer347
Pro
Pro

Post by Fordracer347 »

If you are still concerned, the old rule of thumb of 10 psi for every 1000 RPM has been a hot rod standard for decades and it has worked great. Many have found that with better control they can run far less than that and be just fine.

I prefer to use the 180* oil groove mains over the 270*, expecially on a conventional SBC there is no need for the added groove it can be more detrimental than beneficial. Some of the cup stuff was even using cap side bearings and cutting what groove they needed into them so they had more bearing surface area. That might have all changed since last I had heard but you get the idea.
GPM Race Engines
Custom Machining, Dyno Service, Automotive & Marine
http://www.gpmraceengines.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/GPM-Race ... 8632920064
Twitter: @ GPMracengines
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

Fordracer347 wrote:If you are still concerned, the old rule of thumb of 10 psi for every 1000 RPM has been a hot rod standard for decades and it has worked great. Many have found that with better control they can run far less than that and be just fine.
That rule is old school.
My premise is to consider engine torque over RPM. This means 10 psi for every 100ft/lbs of torque.

If I was to use the RPM based rule of thumb, I would have to run over 100 psi on a 10500 RPM Comp Eliminator engine!
With engines that turn 9700 RPM+, I have always set the pressure around 55~60 psi and never had a single issue.
Again, you have to consider the type of bearing, clearances and the oil pan design.