Even runner flow

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Even runner flow

Post by BOOT »

Ok I was reading a post in another forum and the guy was porting a sbc single plane intake. They had unported flow numbers and the inner runners 3,5,4,6 all flowed less. Not the same amount less but it got me thinking back to the 4 pattern cams and other ways to even the cylinders out. Makes me almost wonder if the less was by design, but kinda not because it varied from 10-50 cmf less than the outer and those four runners varied much less.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: Even runner flow

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Even that won't even it out because the firing order causes some adjacent runners to compete against eachother (not to mention the other wave chaos going on in there).
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

The slight variances in flow bench results don't always have the penalty we might think.

A friend with more money than sense has a high dollar, thoroughly scienced-out 347" SBF in a Cobra clone. He got all excited and spent $10,000 converting from a single 4-bbl to the IR EFI Weber-look. It took quite a number of tuner-hours to equal the RWHP he was getting with the 4-bbl. He hasn't yet been bragging about huge gains.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

PackardV8 wrote:The slight variances in flow bench results don't always have the penalty we might think.
What if you increased the variance to more than slight? For example only ported the outer runners.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

Didn't Smokey Yunick build an engine designed to be two 4 cylinders and tuned them separately taking into account runner length and exhaust scavenging, usinv differeng lobes respectively. Seem to remember it having 2 torque peaks and being somewhat unimpressive...
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

BOOT wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:The slight variances in flow bench results don't always have the penalty we might think.
What if you increased the variance to more than slight? For example only ported the outer runners.
Why would you hold anything back just to try to make things even?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Thermodynamic balance is different for the inner versus outer cylinders.

You should watch that NASCAR engine video.

http://youtu.be/rBZCnG1HwDM?t=1s
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Kevin Johnson wrote:Thermodynamic balance is different for the inner versus outer cylinders.

What specifically?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Kevin Johnson wrote:Thermodynamic balance is different for the inner versus outer cylinders.

What specifically?

Eight minutes in. Thermal efficiency. Engine architecture which would include coolant flow, radiative losses from the cylinders being different and so on. The inner cylinders sacrifice less energy to maintain a local equilibrium than the outer cylinders. The general theme is understanding of the V8 as being a collection of eight separate engines that affect oneanother.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Kevin Johnson wrote:
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:

What specifically?

Eight minutes in. Thermal efficiency. Engine architecture which would include coolant flow, radiative losses from the cylinders being different and so on. The inner cylinders sacrifice less energy to maintain a local equilibrium than the outer cylinders. The general theme is understanding of the V8 as being a collection of eight separate engines that affect oneanother.
That's obvious so what?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I guess I am at a loss as to why I need to explain what is obvious to those that needed to ask.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Kevin Johnson wrote:I guess I am at a loss as to why I need to explain what is obvious to those that needed to ask.
Because you post a link implying that it answers the question being asked without explaining how it does.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Kevin Johnson wrote:I guess I am at a loss as to why I need to explain what is obvious to those that needed to ask.
Because you post a link implying that it answers the question being asked without explaining how it does.
I apologize. I was under the plainly mistaken impression that you had watched that video from start to finish, as I did, after you commented on it in the other thread. If you had watched it then you would not need to ask. If you could not remember what was in the first nine minutes then only nine minutes of reviewing the video would have answered the question.

So, once again I will trot out how irritating it is when someone has not done the primary task at hand, reviewing the material, prior to discussing it but attempts to conceal this by asking pointed and apparently incisive questions. This plays well in a situation where others have not reviewed the material as well but very poorly when others have.

So, to other readers, it is worthwhile watching the video if you are interested in "other ways to even the cylinders out."

Kinderspielen.
Last edited by Kevin Johnson on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Kevin Johnson wrote:
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
I apologize. I was under the plainly mistaken impression that you had watched that video from start to finish, as I did, after you commented on it in the other thread. If you had watched it then you would not need to ask. If you could not remember what was in the first nine minutes then only nine minutes of reviewing the video would have answered the question.

So, once again I will trot out how irritating it is when someone has not done the primary task at hand, reviewing the material, prior to discussing it but attempts to conceal this by asking pointed and apparently incisive questions. This plays well in a situation where others have not reviewed the material as well but very poorly where others have.

So, to other readers, it is worthwhile watching the video if you are interested in "other ways to even the cylinders out."

Kinderspielen.
Kevin, please explain specifically how that video answers the OPs question.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Kevin, please explain specifically how that video answers the OPs question.
Imbalance degrades power through several mechanisms.
The OP touches on one, which is also discussed in the video. But you knew that, right?

Right.

:roll: