Dyno tune up---100 HP

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Dyno tune up---100 HP

Post by bigjoe1 »

It sure is nice when a first time dyno customer comes along, and I was able to help him find over 100 HP on the dyno. A young fellow ( 25 to 30 ) has been running a 408 Windsor for over five years. It ran pretty good, but he wanted more performance. He steps up to new AFR heads,and a bigger solid roller cam. He used to run World sportsman heads that were ported, and a solid flat tappet cam. Any how, I get it running and made a quick sweep to see the jetting. It is real lean. He has run this carb for five years ,and he thinks it is close. I go up TEN jet sizes, and it picks up 80 HORSEPOWER. It is still a little lean.. He was looking at his plugs to get his old jetting. By the way, his plugs were way too cold, probably making him think it was close. Any how , I go up three more sizes ( thirteen sizes all together ) and it picks up another 10 or 11 HP.. Now I give it more timing and it picks up every where. He was hoping to reach 610 -615 and now we were up to 688 HP. This young man shook my hand SO HARD, he almost broke my arm. Needless to say, he think I am God, but I am just Joe Sherman Racing. Pretty cool. Huh ??

JOE SHERMAN RACING
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru
Re: Dyno tune up---100 HP

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Really nice! =D>

What about the Tq and HP peaks Joe?
They are higher in the RPM range?

Probably that SR cam is lifting the valves a bit harder too. Can you share the cam specs ?
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I do not have the exact numbers in front of me, but the torque was 565 at 5500. and the peak HP was like 688 at 7000.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I do not know the cam specs, but something like 275 -285 at 050 on a 106-- 730 lift

JOE SHERMAN RACING
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Congrats, Joe!

That is great.

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
greg

Post by greg »

Neva knew a Ferd cud make that mush HP hahahahahah... :^o
cfm
Pro
Pro

Post by cfm »

I ran into a motor like that.

Found the issue after a long time. The exhaust on the car was brutal. Someone slipped the exhaust tubes (2 1/4") into the collector reducers a good 3-4" and then welded instead of cutting them flush and welding to the reducer the normal way.

Car at the track would take 10 jets sizes more with the exhaust unhooked. With exhaust hooked up and those jets left in, the car would run like crap and not want to drive home. Had to take the jet back out.

How did I find the problem - for some reason I got asked to unhook the exhaust and there it was, staring me in the face. Never would have believed it...but it was.

BTW: It was near a 500hp BBC and needed a good 3" exhaust anyway. It did have 2" primary Hookers with 3 1/2 collectors so that was fine.
Lockwire
Expert
Expert

Post by Lockwire »

greg wrote:Neva knew a Ferd cud make that mush HP hahahahahah... :^o

Greg, this is your great opportunity to get it off of your chest. TELL US WHAT YOU HAVE DONE................. :lol:
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

THAT....is why we calls you BIG JOE!!!!! Way to go Big Joe!!!! You can't beat EXPERIENCE!!!!!
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

I have to ask what carb took that much more jet, where did it start out at and what did you end up with? What fuel?
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

The easiest gains are when someone comes in with an old side piped Corvette and the busted up innards are choking the motor - do a back-pressure test, change out the mufflers... seen 70-100 hp gains a few times with those.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I am not going to embarrass this young man, but I will give few more details--It was a Holley HP 850 carb. He had the power valves plugged, and only # 78 jets all around
. It would have been much closer with the correct power valves installed-- I went from # 78 all the way up to # 91 jets.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
greg

Post by greg »

Lockwire,,, i wasnt doubting joes dyno work on the engine makin 100 more hp,i was jus goofinoff a bit...dont have a cow. :roll:

iam a budget bracket racer jus like everyone on here ,wud u like to c my trophies... :D
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

bigjoe1 wrote:I am not going to embarrass this young man, but I will give few more details--It was a Holley HP 850 carb. He had the power valves plugged, and only # 78 jets all around
. It would have been much closer with the correct power valves installed-- I went from # 78 all the way up to # 91 jets.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
If it's the new Ultra 850 then ouch! I just finished an Ultra 850 build, 91-92 jet is more in the range it should be.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote:Really nice! =D>

What about the Tq and HP peaks Joe?
They are higher in the RPM range?

Probably that SR cam is lifting the valves a bit harder too. Can you share the cam specs ?
It would be cool to see the complete dyno sheet so we could get an idea of what a good power band looks like.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!