SB 2 NASCAR take off heads and hardware, which head ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
SB 2 NASCAR take off heads and hardware, which head ?

Post by Dragsinger »

I have become interesting in considering a set of SB 2 NASCAR take off heads.

To review, I am planing the building of a 420 SBC drag package that will make 880 - 900 horse. The engine will be raced in a light weigh altered, about 1550 with driver. The expected 1/8 ET is 4.60 range. In addition, the engine will need to make it's best power in the 7200 - 8400 RPM range. We will run one carb on gas.

Several racers have recommended Archie and Jerry Wiesgarber as a trustworthy source of NASCAR engine parts. In talking with Archie he sends the heads to HVH for valve job and valve spring ck/install.

Question; there are several versions/designs of the SB2 heads. Which head and intake should I have Archie find for me?

Since they are several version of the head available it seems reasonable to find the best match for my application.

Let me have your thoughts.

Thank You
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Re: SB 2 NASCAR take off heads and hardware, which head ?

Post by levisnteeshirt »

saw a set of SB2's that only flowed 385 cfm at 800 make the kind of power your wanting on a 396 ci motor ,,, 9200 and climbing , from what I gather they most likely were Busch heads from everything I've learned ,
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Larry have you looked at the packages offered by M&M? When you consider building an SB2.2 for the first time the packages they have are fairly complete and capable of what you want and can include the correct pistons. The only thing I would leave out of the package is the pushrods, get them from Manton, Trend, or Smith Brothers once everything is mocked up. Manton was my choice and I highly recommend them.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

Mark, Thanks.

Gathering info for a 900 horse 420 SBC is a challenge. The day is coming I will make a decision and go with it. Each time I think another direction is a good option the facts keep bringing me back to a 15* wedge head by RFD or CFE or maybe a Weldtech/Jones package.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

Can't go wrong with Curtis, he does quality work.....
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

A TRUE 900 HP isn't easy, making the power to run the times you want can be done with a larger engine making more average power. Mine has been 7.56 in the 1/4, 4.77 in the 1/8 at 1820 lbs.
Mark Whitener
____

jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Also you can build an SB2 from takeoff parts, my suggestion with M&M is because they package everything you need down to the nuts and bolts. We did the first one that way, the second was easier to buy takeoff parts for except I chose to have Curtis do the heads from scratch. And for your needs get the biggest ports you can.
Mark Whitener
____

Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

Larry,
If you would like to look at a set that are for the inline lifter bores. I have a set I'm doing mock up on before I machine the block.
When the heads come from , whatever Cup shop, they usually do a valve job that takes their tricks out and hurts flow. I do recommend getting a good hi flow valve job done. I haven't used a set of the new SB2.2's that requires the special lifter location. I have been told you can change the jesel to something like the older SB2's and use them on the in-line lifter blocks. Call me and come up some evening. It would be nice to see you and chat about "the good old days" as well as look over what "is" today!!
I actually think you could make more power on a 400+ engine with a set of PST splayed valve heads if you could find a good set.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

I'd stay away from the small valve stem heads...6mm just seems like trouble for any kind of longevity...
Fordracer347
Pro
Pro

Post by Fordracer347 »

6mm is trouble unless you plan on being down after every weekend to check it out. Trust me, we tried on a dirt car, didn't work.
GPM Race Engines
Custom Machining, Dyno Service, Automotive & Marine
http://www.gpmraceengines.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/GPM-Race ... 8632920064
Twitter: @ GPMracengines
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Fordracer347 wrote:6mm is trouble unless you plan on being down after every weekend to check it out. Trust me, we tried on a dirt car, didn't work.
Sounds like a control issue more than a valve issue...............
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

Warp Speed wrote:
Fordracer347 wrote:6mm is trouble unless you plan on being down after every weekend to check it out. Trust me, we tried on a dirt car, didn't work.
Sounds like a control issue more than a valve issue...............
X2
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

stealth wrote:I'd stay away from the small valve stem heads...6mm just seems like trouble for any kind of longevity...
Cup teams make them last 500 mile races. I don't think this altered will be doing anything like that between tear downs. If it's going to make 900HP, from 420 cubes, it's going to have to turn pretty high. You don't want heavier valves than necessary.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Cubic_Cleveland wrote:
stealth wrote:I'd stay away from the small valve stem heads...6mm just seems like trouble for any kind of longevity...
Cup teams make them last 500 mile races. I don't think this altered will be doing anything like that between tear downs. If it's going to make 900HP, from 420 cubes, it's going to have to turn pretty high. You don't want heavier valves than necessary.
He should be around 8500 tops. Local guy here runs one about that. My 461 with SB2's turns 7900 through the traps in the 1/4. Peak HP was at 7100.
Mark Whitener
____

stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

I agree with all the previous posts about the small valve stems, but to be fair the cup teams also have a tad more R&D budget to assure the “package” will survive the weekend of racing. (then everything is cycled out for new)

So considering few of us have such a budget to develop a cup level scienced-out “package”, to error on the side of safety with a slightly larger stem valve is money well spent in my humble opinion.