sbc std port to raised runner intake adapters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

nhrata

sbc std port to raised runner intake adapters

Post by nhrata »

does any one make adapters to fit a std port small block chevy tunnel ram to a set of raised runner heads
DragginwithDad

Post by DragginwithDad »

Good question. Maybe it would be easier to grind the roof of the intake to the correct height, and fill the floor if necessary. Depending on how much the runners in the heads are raised, you might have to weld the intake so that there is enough material to grind to the correct height. Just a thought. Good luck.
-A.J.
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

I believe that they are raised .200.
David Clapp
[img]http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/3320/27sv1.jpg[/img]
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-One other problem you need to address is---when you raise the manifold to where it fits the ports you'll be needing end rail spacers---and the distributor hole will be raised significantly.

-Plus the distributor hole ends up becoming offset slightly to where it might bind up on one side the distributor housing and possibly leak oil on the other side.
------------------------------------------
-I haven't actually done this but I investigated it pretty thoroughly----felt it could be done---but it looks to me to be a much larger project than just a pair of intake spacer plates.
nhrata

Post by nhrata »

i found a set used set a few months back on racing junk sent the guy a money order never received them ... sucks ...every thing keeps costing more and more money that i just don't have
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

Unless you have a ton of money sunk into an intake manifold, it's MUCH easier to get a raised runner intake that fits right on...
nhrata

Post by nhrata »

rm i wish that i could but i'm running a tunnel ram and i can't find a cast tunnel ram for a high port head Image
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

In that case, making them out of 1/4" thick phenolic material, (or some kind of Delrin), is fairly easy and would serve two functions. Just turn the intake gasket for a standard intake upside down and relocate the bolt holes in your intake and use a slip collar distributor.
DART sells the front and rear ends; or at least they used to.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-found some notes about my investigations of this topic.

-1-There was a place called Bill Morten Motorsports 1-800-288-5202---in Colorado I think, maybe related someway to Petersen oil pumps---that sold the intake gasket spacers.

-1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" think at about $14 (don't know if that is each or a pair---probably each).

-3/8" and 1/2" at about $18.

-2-I determined that I needed 3/8" spacers at the intake gasket flanges---which raises the manifold 1/2" at the end rails and at the distributor.

-I would fabricate the end rails myself--fairly simple if you have a bandsaw.

-3-The distributor hole needs to be modified----shortened and offset slightly if you can figure out how to use a slip collar on the distributor.

-My intentions were for use with a magneto that didn't allow that much room to raise a slip collar so I was thinking about making a recessed distributor hole into the manifold by cutting that distributor hole area out of the manifold and welding the newly fabricated distributor base area into the manifold.

-the distributor hold down clamp also looked to be a problem----where I felt the clamp could be moved over and be positioned on the drivers side.
nhrata

Post by nhrata »

thanks very much bill I have a msd adj slip collar dist now
nhrata

Post by nhrata »

still not having much luck
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-have you checked the angles between the heads to make sure they are the same angle as the manifold?

-seems to me like there's a 5degree difference somewhere once you get away from common low port heads.

-what about the bolt hole patterns---are they the same?

-Have you fitted the manifold onto the the block---spaced it up to where you have a good idea of how thick the spacers need to be?

-and looked at the distributor hole problem?

-and checked to see if bolts actually fit thru the manifold into the heads?
-------------------------------------------
-You might call Petersen oil pumps in Colorado and ask about the spacers.

-seems to me like maybe Bill Morten was the original owner of Petersen then got bought out by less friendly new owners.
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

Bill what about milling the manifold the thickness of the spacers? Then either gasketing or epoxy the manifold to the spacer or of course weld it. Would this get you back to your original manifold height and placement, and allow you to use the raised runner port layout and bolt pattern while not compromising the distributor location?
The raised runner heads like he (and I) have are the same angle as standard 23 °. I think 10° angle. The entire ports are raised .200 from the deck over standard, and the intake mounting holes are different in relation to the ports.(I think)
David Clapp
[img]http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/3320/27sv1.jpg[/img]
nhrata

Post by nhrata »

thanks bill .. now they only sell the end rails they don't sell a intake spacers .. but dart sells spacers to make a std port intake fit a tall deck block might just buy them and mill them to proper angle and thickness
i also talked to wilson manifold waiting for a est from them
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-When I was looking at using raised runner heads it was a sprint car engine where the manifold was a Hilborn injection.

-I looked at cutting the manifold into three pieces---pretty well figured out that I could do that---then looked at raising the manifold with spacers and I pretty well figured the spacers would be the way I'd go.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-If you are talking about milling anything then it really shouldn't be any problem to make the intake gasket surface spacers and the end rail spacers---other than it gets into way more time than most people want to spend.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-I don't see where milling on the manifold is right----unless you have to make some slight corrections just to get the gasket faces dead nuts.

-In the past I have made manifold spacers and used counter sunk bolts to attach the spacers to the manifold----and used loctite as the bonding sealer between the spacer and the manifold.

-If the manifold would actually bolt up to the raised runner heads and fit everywhere except for the misalignments of the top and the bottom of the ports----then welding filler metal onto the outside of the top of the intake ports---and filling the floor with weld or even just use epoxy there is an alternative.

-I have done this welding on the top of the intake ports of several manifolds and I can say that warpage becomes an obvious obstacle you'll have to deal with.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-It sounds like both of you have milling machines so why not just figure out what you need----make the plates yourself and be done with it?