Aluminum rod reduces shock load to crank

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Aluminum rod reduces shock load to crank

Post by Truckedup »

Ok,does an aluminum rod really transmit less shock to the crankshaft compared to a steel rod? Performance aluminum rod manufacturers make this claim.Yes,I know aluminum rods have a short life span. :D
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Re: Aluminum rod reduces shock load to crank

Post by Ron E »

The nitro guys claim they're an absolute necessity for that very reason. More realistic combinations, I'm not sure either. Seem likely it could buffer the bottom end during detonation.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Truckedup wrote:Ok,does an aluminum rod really transmit less shock to the crankshaft compared to a steel rod? Performance aluminum rod manufacturers make this claim.Yes,I know aluminum rods have a short life span. :D
Yes it does......

It also soaks up work to a certain extent. Work compressing the rod that could be used to turn the wheels.
Only needed, recomended, advantagous when serious cylinder pressures are present.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Taking it one step more.....Suppose you have an engine that's breaking crankshafts with steel rods.Lets say this engine is not an alcohol or nitro fuel engine.. Would the crank last longer with aluminum rods? Yes,many variables,just a theory question.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Truckedup wrote:Taking it one step more.....Suppose you have an engine that's breaking crankshafts with steel rods.Lets say this engine is not an alcohol or nitro fuel engine.. Would the crank last longer with aluminum rods? Yes,many variables,just a theory question.
I would fix the reason it is breaking cranks!!

Tune up, crank quality/design for application ect......
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Truckedup wrote:Taking it one step more.....Suppose you have an engine that's breaking crankshafts with steel rods.Lets say this engine is not an alcohol or nitro fuel engine.. Would the crank last longer with aluminum rods? Yes,many variables,just a theory question.
There are too many variables. Moreover, merely stating "variables" tends to imply that higher order combinations of variables (and variables themselves) can be directly equated. Look at how Transcendental numbers differ fundamentally from numbers that are algebraic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_number

You need to guard against the fallacy of equivocation.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Kevin Johnson wrote:
There are too many variables. Moreover, merely stating "variables" tends to imply that higher order combinations of variables (and variables themselves) can be directly equated. Look at how Transcendental numbers differ fundamentally from numbers that are algebraic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_number

Really???????

Why can't you just give your opinion on the subject instead of trying to turn EVERY topic into a science project?
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Can you run a lesser crank and block longer at very high loading and or rpm with an aluminum rod? Absolutely. Bearing life will be better too.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

On a current Nitro car with a competitive tune the force on the rod is enough to deform the rod in a way that spreads the bore.
Presently there is only one rod design and material that is holding up for aggressive tune-ups.
The material and forging process is patented so only one supplier can make them for now.
http://www.alanjohnsonperformance.com/
One of the few times that a patent had any significant impact on a technology in drag racing.

If/when power levels increase it may be nessesary to find an alternative rod design and or material.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Jon,
I only see Brooks and C&A on AJs site. Was there something else you wanted us to see?

Kevin.
STOP IT
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Warp Speed wrote:
Kevin Johnson wrote:

Really???????

Why can't you just give your opinion on the subject instead of trying to turn EVERY topic into a science project?

I think there is an ignore function with the board. I do not think you or anyone else needs my permission to use it.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Dave Koehler wrote:Jon,
I only see Brooks and C&A on AJs site. Was there something else you wanted us to see?

Kevin.
STOP IT
I'll take a picture of one of the rods when I get home and post it.
It might be that only some teams are allowed to buy them.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Dave Koehler wrote:Jon,

Kevin.
STOP IT
I'll take a picture of one of the rods when I get home and post it.
It might be that only some teams are allowed to buy them.
Yep.......gotta be on "the deal" ! :wink:
Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Post by Barbapapa »

Is the rod handling compression forces really key or are other rods on the downstroke acting to dampen by acting as extension springs?
The idea of the rod being so useful in compression seems counterintuative to me, if shock damping under power compression is key then why aren't the wrist pin and piston design considered more?
Mike S.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

http://www.google.com/patents/US6502480

For those still paying attention.