Moroso Oil Pan doesn't fit!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redliner
Expert
Expert
Moroso Oil Pan doesn't fit!

Post by redliner »

Hi,I have a new(last year) Moroso(21017) oil pan on my sbc and when I put the thick front seal in it still has a large gap I must fill with silicon....Anyone here have the same problem?
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Re: Moroso Oil Pan doesn't fit!

Post by Strange Magic »

Maybe someone from Moroso would be willing to chime in here.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

redliner wrote:Hi,I have a new(last year) Moroso(21017) oil pan on my sbc and when I put the thick front seal in it still has a large gap I must fill with silicon....Anyone here have the same problem?

You have the wrong timing cover. I found that they used the early pan seal lip on there oil pans and 99% of guys use the
1978 and up timing cover design that uses the thick end seal. This leaves a gap to fill with sealer.
Swap the timing cover and that will solve the issue. Most aftermark covers made today are for use with the thick front end seal.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

redliner wrote:Hi,I have a new(last year) Moroso(21017) oil pan on my sbc and when I put the thick front seal in it still has a large gap I must fill with silicon....Anyone here have the same problem?
Could be your timing cover and not the pan. Seen it.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

ProPower engines wrote:

You have the wrong timing cover. I found that they used the early pan seal lip on there oil pans and 99% of guys use the
1978 and up timing cover design that uses the thick end seal. This leaves a gap to fill with sealer.
Swap the timing cover and that will solve the issue. Most aftermark covers made today are for use with the thick front end seal.

:-k :-k
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

ProPower engines wrote:
ProPower engines wrote:

:-k :-k
Sorry. I was typing while you were posting. It happens.
BTW, I agree. T cover :D
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

ProPower engines wrote:

I have an aluminum timing cover from Competition products.The felpro gasket instuctions on the second set of gaskets I bought include a thick seal and a thin one for the front.It says to lay a straight edge across pan and measure to the lip if it measures 2 1/4 use the thin seal,if it measures 2 3/8 use the thick seal.My pan measures 2 1/2...
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

I used a moroso pan on a bbc recently and had the opposite! No way could I fit the front or rear section between pan and t-cover or rear main cap. There was about a .025" gap at the most with the side gaskets in place.
Craig.
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

i had same problem last year with my moroso pan. it wasnt the pan, i was using the wrong felpro oil pan gasket. i used the thin front seal and it needed the thick front seal. i changed this and no problem. (i used the one piece felpro pan gasket)call felpro for the right one because even jegs and summit dont list them right let us know how you make out art
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Used a new moroso sbc pan last year and had no issues. Great pan!

eidt: I forgot I did get the wrong pan in the box, but it was a better n more expensive pan than I ordered! I was albe to still use it and I even installed it on the car.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

I tried a Morso oil pan years back on my BB Chevy drag engine. The thing was not flat, i sent it back. Big gap on the corner. Dont like Moros pans, stay clear IMO. Hamburger makes a nice pan.
rubberweasel

Post by rubberweasel »

wasn't the difference for seal thicknesses, in the pan, and not the timing cover? Jus askin... not tryint to be a smart arse :D
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

rally wrote:I tried a Morso oil pan years back on my BB Chevy drag engine. The thing was not flat, i sent it back. Big gap on the corner. Dont like Moros pans, stay clear IMO. Hamburger makes a nice pan.
yes, X2! no issues =D>
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

rubberweasel wrote:wasn't the difference for seal thicknesses, in the pan, and not the timing cover? Jus askin... not tryint to be a smart arse :D
That's correct. The pans are different not the front covers.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

robert1 wrote:
rubberweasel wrote:wasn't the difference for seal thicknesses, in the pan, and not the timing cover? Jus askin... not tryint to be a smart arse :D
That's correct. The pans are different not the front covers.
That's what I always thought as well. I didn't think there were "thin seal" and "thick seal" timing covers - just different pan shapes?