carbed 5.3,ls1

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gnicholson
Pro
Pro

carbed 5.3,ls1

Post by gnicholson »

i've been thinking about taking a 94 s10 i have and install something like an l33 5.3 or ls1 etc for a daily driver.i would use the existing 4l60 with a controller after being rebuilt with a new convertor.i was thinking about using a dual plane with a 4 hole adapter spacer and an 80's q jet,something like an ls6 cam.i want the thing to make good power but i want to err on the side of good part throttle fuel effeciency. i'm think i could pull off 25to 30 mpg with the right setup.would i be better off sticking with the factory truck or camaro vette fuel injection for this setup ?i think the qjet setup would be cool and hard to beat for cost and ease of the swap.opinions appreciated :D
Eric68
Expert
Expert
Re: carbed 5.3,ls1

Post by Eric68 »

Stick to the fuel injection. There is a pretty significant mileage advantage using fuel injection over a carb in an application like yours. Stick with the factory wiring harness and computer if you can.

Now if your main goal was drag racing then my answer would be different, but you want real high mileage and a quadrajet isn't the way to do it.
E85 racer and E85 carb builder
www.horsepowerinnovations.com

68 Camaro 427" E85 powered small block, 9.95 @ 133 mph best motor ET through the mufflers. 1.319 best sixty foot.
Matt Gruber
Guru
Guru

Post by Matt Gruber »

bill jones reported 29.9 mpg with a qjet.
I'd keep it simple and avoid efi. I'd maybe try to keep the knock sensor/ecm as best timing is important for max mpg.
i'd use the Holley double pumper 4 1 6 5 - 6 2 1 0
quick response and engineered to sip gas, maybe a tad more than a new qjet, but they don't make qjets anymore, and commercial qjet rebuilds are often a butcher job.
tame a lumpy cam for the street, more street torque! see my article, archived in the waybackmachine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130707064 ... TGRU/carb/
Great manners equals more fun.
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

a friend of mine has a similar setup and pulls low 30's with efi. definitely stick with efi if efficiency is your goal.
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

thanks for the responses.i've built qjets for 30 years and have a good supply of parts and good cores. a good holley would be a good choice to.wy concern with a carb is lack of manifold heat and the engine induction not really designed as a wet fuel system. don't know how good the retrofit carb manifols are on fuel distribution etc.thanks for the above comments.all have valid points.my thing is i drive alot on the highway and i need some mileage with gas prices being insane like they are but i also like driving something that hauls ass when you want
Auctioneerhere

Post by Auctioneerhere »

I have a 5.3 LS engine w/ a 500 CFM 2 jet on it.

It seems to plenty of power.

It was in a demo car, so we never worried about gas mileage.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

gnicholson wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:55 pm i've been thinking about taking a 94 s10 i have and install something like an l33 5.3 or ls1 etc for a daily driver.i would use the existing 4l60 with a controller after being rebuilt with a new convertor.i was thinking about using a dual plane with a 4 hole adapter spacer and an 80's q jet,something like an ls6 cam.i want the thing to make good power but i want to err on the side of good part throttle fuel effeciency. i'm think i could pull off 25to 30 mpg with the right setup.would i be better off sticking with the factory truck or camaro vette fuel injection for this setup ?i think the qjet setup would be cool and hard to beat for cost and ease of the swap.opinions appreciated :D
-did you ever complete this swap? results? =D>
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"