Balance...neutral.....over.....under..????

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ron Clevenger

Balance...neutral.....over.....under..????

Post by Ron Clevenger »

Question to those that are knowledgeable about the affects of balancing.

I run a high dollar blower crank, is it better to balance straight up or 52% over or under???

Blessings...........Ron
Creekside Racing Ministry....John 14:6
ProCharger F3-139 blow thru carb gas nonintercooled (6.30 @ 220 mph (done with that)

Currently shaking down Boost referenced MFI alcohol ProCharged system
6.20 @ 240 mph (way more to come)
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Re: Balance...neutral.....over.....under..????

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

Ron Clevenger wrote:Question to those that are knowledgeable about the affects of balancing.

I run a high dollar blower crank, is it better to balance straight up or 52% over or under???

Blessings...........Ron
Straight up or over if anything never under.

If its a lot of RPM Over does not hurt.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

So if its low RPM would under be more appropriate?
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

ap72 wrote:So if its low RPM would under be more appropriate?
Never under balance anything !!
Machine shop tour
Monthly Specials
Ron Clevenger

Post by Ron Clevenger »

Balancing is an area I've just never took the time to study. I've always balanced neutral. But this last time it was balanced 52% over. Motors a 565 big chief BBC with 40 psi of boost going through it with very good parts. Race "outlaw racing" and with my budget the top rpm is 8600-8700.

I'm sure I won't notice anything different from neutral to 52% over in the performance. But was just wondering what the physical effects would be on the motor. This year we are racing "Outlaw Eliminator" which runs on a 6.20 1/4 mile index. So the motor will be utilizing more of it's power potential.

Blessings..............Ron
Creekside Racing Ministry....John 14:6
ProCharger F3-139 blow thru carb gas nonintercooled (6.30 @ 220 mph (done with that)

Currently shaking down Boost referenced MFI alcohol ProCharged system
6.20 @ 240 mph (way more to come)
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

What is the purpose of over balance?
If 2% is good, why wouldn't 4% be better and why wouldn't 10% be still better yet?
How is under-balance different than over-balance? Why is one better than the other?

If I remove CW #2 from a crank and get it to balance by adding metal to CW #1, is it properly balanced? If I add more weight to #1 to over balance it, it that an improvement?

The answer is, over/underbalance tells you close to nothing about the CW design in a crank.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:What is the purpose of over balance?
If 2% is good, why wouldn't 4% be better and why wouldn't 10% be still better yet?
How is under-balance different than over-balance? Why is one better than the other?

If I remove CW #2 from a crank and get it to balance by adding metal to CW #1, is it properly balanced? If I add more weight to #1 to over balance it, it that an improvement?

The answer is, over/underbalance tells you close to nothing about the CW design in a crank.
Still listening. This has been interesting with a 9500 rpm blown car also that needs rods replaced at 25 runs.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

af2 wrote:

Still listening. This has been interesting with a 9500 rpm blown car also that needs rods replaced at 25 runs.

I have bought crank shafts for King's crankshaft for years and Have talked to rick about over balance and he has balanced for some cup teams over the years and has done up to a 4% over balance on some those cranks.

I have build 2 blower engines and are chipped at 9500 one is 2% over balanced the is straight up and the beaings on both look great after 50 plus hooks and they could run up to 30 seconds a hook, Pulling tractors.

Do search on over and under balnce you should find what your looking for.
Machine shop tour
Monthly Specials
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

I have bought crank shafts for King's crankshaft for years and Have talked to rick about over balance and he has balanced for some cup teams over the years and has done up to a 4% over balance on some those cranks.

I have build 2 blower engines and are chipped at 9500 one is 2% over balanced the is straight up and the beaings on both look great after 50 plus hooks and they could run up to 30 seconds a hook, Pulling tractors.

Do search on over and under balnce you should find what your looking for.http://WWW.CNCBLOCKSNE.COM
IS A DIVISION OF
HINKSON AUTOMOTIVE
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
We are WD on AFR, Dart, Wiseco, JE, CP, Crower, Manley, CARRILLO, Callies, King's Crankshaft. COMP CAMS, Diamond pistons ETC.
I'll buy lunch for anyone that can post a physics based reason to use overbalance besides compensation for filling the oil holes.

I have made and balanced 100's of billet cranks for many forms of racing and have yet to hear an explanation for why anyone would use overbalance other than "that is what I heard someone else did".

Fewer people do it now than they used to.

Flat cranks typically have CWs way under balanced, the main reason 90 degree cranks don't use underbalance is the vibration.

The standard practice of overbalancing is easily debunked by the fact that you can over balance a crank by adding to the end CW or 2nd or 3rd (in from the ends) and get the same result.
Obviously, adding that weight to the different CWs has a different effect on the loads within the crank.
The problem is a crankshaft balancing machine is not capable of measuring the loads within the crank.
Last edited by SchmidtMotorWorks on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

af2 wrote:

Are you thinking crank balance has something to do with the rod problem? If so, why?
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

I always thought that the only reason it possibly could make any difference is because the motion of the pistons in the engine is not sinusoidal and they approach and leave BDC at a slightly different rate than at TDC and adding a little extra mass to the counterweight helps to cancel out the forces generated by the differences.

With that said I've never used "overbalancing" except for allowing about 3 grams for oil and I've had drag race guys with blower engines turn over 10,000 rpm with no balance related problems. I'm not convinced that it's a big deal either...
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

DaveMcLain wrote:I always thought that the only reason it possibly could make any difference is because the motion of the pistons in the engine is not sinusoidal and they approach and leave BDC at a slightly different rate than at TDC and adding a little extra mass to the counterweight helps to cancel out the forces generated by the differences.

With that said I've never used "overbalancing" except for allowing about 3 grams for oil and I've had drag race guys with blower engines turn over 10,000 rpm with no balance related problems. I'm not convinced that it's a big deal either...

Yep, Allan Lockheed years ago made a software called Engine Expert that graphed the difference in loads from that, problem is over balance would be present at both TDC and BDC.

Engine Expert is an interesting software to look at, you can still get it at:

http://www.audietech.com/engine-expert/ ... xpert.html
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

in 1996 i picked up my crank after paying for it to be balanced at jenkins, it was overbalanced 52% ,, i didnt argue with him, many 9700-9800 rpm shifts later, i still wouldnt argue with him
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Balance theory assumes a rigid crank. I started to ponder the effects of the slight but inevitable centrifugally-induced distortion at high RPM, but it would seem a 'rubber crank' would fling its CWs outwards, thus mimicking a higher balance percentage, so no explanation there..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
af2 wrote:

Are you thinking crank balance has something to do with the rod problem? If so, why?
Not at all... I was wondering like usual. Maybe something else could be improved on. That is all.
GURU is only a name.
Adam