Guru
Guru
Gen V SBC

Post by dirtracr5 »

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: Gen V SBC

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Interesting to read the comments in the page. Everyone seems underwhelmed.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/breaking-news ... ck-reveal/ <--better pictures.

never thought i'd see people disappointed in 450hp 450tq and 26mpg.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

Well, most people don't buy a corvette for MPG's. They could have added a little cam timing and tweaked a few other things to have a 500hp standard corvette and 23mpg and people would have rejoiced.

They really missed their market on that one.

Now put that same engine in a Silverado or soccer-mom-mobile and people would get excited, as mileage counts more than power there.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

ap72 wrote:Well, most people don't buy a corvette for MPG's. They could have added a little cam timing and tweaked a few other things to have a 500hp standard corvette and 23mpg and people would have rejoiced.

They really missed their market on that one.

Now put that same engine in a Silverado or soccer-mom-mobile and people would get excited, as mileage counts more than power there.
mileage counts more than ever! and will continue to gain importance...most of the low-hanging fruit is gone
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

I have never seen two guys discuss how much more practical their impractical sports car toys are... I've seen more people than I can count BS about who has more power though.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
avengerengines
Expert
Expert

Post by avengerengines »

ap72 wrote:I have never seen two guys discuss how much more practical their impractical sports car toys are... I've seen more people than I can count BS about who has more power though.
:lol: :lol:
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

i'm guessing gm added the mpg for the epa and the extra hp/tq for guys like us.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

We only have 12 years to go before the 2025 fuel standards.
It is doubtful that it is even possible to accomplish with internal combustion cars as we know them today.
These are the good old days, enjoy them while you can.
The thing I'm worried about is what will the EPA do to get old cars off the road?
I can imagine a day where driving a hot rod is viewed by many like carrying an M16.

Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Well that is a fleet wide average... if you had a few electric 70mpg + cars and one low mpg high performance ride, it can average out :) Gives some hope....

What do you guys think about the aftermarket performance potential with the Direct Injection? Think it will be as good as the current LS motors making great power with simple mods and cam swaps
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

I still hope that with a few good election cycles, the EPA may get some de-fanging. It's an agency that has long ago overstepped it's original purpose. And, like some others (you know who they are) they have given themselves more and more power over more and more stuff. And, finally,, at least a few politicians will say this out loud. That hasn't been the case until recently. I may be all wrong. But, don't tell me. Let me enjoy this dream.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

ap72 wrote:I have never seen two guys discuss how much more practical their impractical sports car toys are... I've seen more people than I can count BS about who has more power though.

I saw the same thing on some site where a few were bitching like 3 year olds because the then new 6.4 hemi only had 475 HP. They were crying over a 2 valve pushrod 392" motor with a warranty that only made 475 NET hp. They really don't have a clue
Bazman
Pro
Pro

Post by Bazman »

This will be an exciting new platform IMHO. It has all the makings for a great motor and a higher performance LS7 version or a boosted LS9 version would be a big step up in power and efficiency from the already highly efficient Gen 4.

The constant negative comments from the public remind me of a famous statesman who once said that it was impossible to under-estimate the intelligence of the average voter. The chronically negative people are like a ghetto boom box - massive speakers running on very tiny processors.

I agree with Schmidt - these are the glory days guys - and may God ensure they carry on for many years to come. Time to bring out that mythical Pogue carb :lol:
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

Can we get a 350hp V8 that gets 35-40mpg in a truck?
dezza
Pro
Pro

Post by dezza »

The heads are nice looking