Problem with Dart ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

TEROL
Problem with Dart ?

Post by TEROL »

I ordered a set of 200cc SHP bare castings on July 2nd and was told they would be drop shipped on the 23td. Called around the 20th to see if all was on schedule and was told not untill the 30th. Now I am told 2-3 more weeks. Just hung up the phone after 6 minutes on hold waiting for someone to talk too. Anyone else having this problem? Any alternatives in the same price range?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Problem with Dart ?

Post by ProPower engines »

If you can locate some RHS heads they are comparable to the Dart SHP in quality.
I have been going to order some of the iron SHP heads bare but have not heard of supply delays.
It may be they are run off there feet with iron head orders now that RHS has dropped their iron S/R line of heads last year and the stock that was on the shelf is now gone.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

TEROL wrote:I ordered a set of 200cc SHP bare castings on July 2nd and was told they would be drop shipped on the 23td. Called around the 20th to see if all was on schedule and was told not untill the 30th. Now I am told 2-3 more weeks. Just hung up the phone after 6 minutes on hold waiting for someone to talk too. Anyone else having this problem? Any alternatives in the same price range?

I am in a holding pattern as well on the SHP heads. Customer is not happy thats for sure but he is dealing with it and I should have mine this week I hope.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
GOSFAST
Expert
Expert

Post by GOSFAST »

Just finished working with the 127422 pieces, I believe these are the type heads mentioned (I don't use Darts as a rule).

The unit is sitting at the dyno doorway, but I don't expect any real substantial numbers!

You may want to pick another head, they would not be my choice on any builds! We're talking about the lower level heads here, not the "Pro" series! Also, I wouldn't place them in the same category as the RHS line.

These were "customer-requested", tried my best to talk him out of them.

Given the info above here, the quality of the machine work was acceptible.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The castings are "rough" to put it mildly! In my opinion the "China" castings "appear" superior! In other words they look like a much cleaner casting!!
Sept. 2019 - Drag-Week Winner - New York Street Ride 7.23+ @ 196+ @ 3800#+
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

GOSFAST wrote:Just finished working with the 127422 pieces, I believe these are the type heads mentioned (I don't use Darts as a rule).

The unit is sitting at the dyno doorway, but I don't expect any real substantial numbers!

You may want to pick another head, they would not be my choice on any builds! We're talking about the lower level heads here, not the "Pro" series! Also, I wouldn't place them in the same category as the RHS line.

These were "customer-requested", tried my best to talk him out of them.

Given the info above here, the quality of the machine work was acceptible.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The castings are "rough" to put it mildly! In my opinion the "China" castings "appear" superior! In other words they look like a much cleaner casting!!
The china casting are not heat treated either!!!

Gary Sharkey why do you BS every one?? Remember on the CT site when you said you built over 300 engines a year only to find out you work out a 2 bay garage with a dirt floor and have no engine building equipment =D>

Do a search on chinese pro comp heads and see what pops up :lol:
Machine shop tour
Monthly Specials
CREngines
Guru
Guru

Post by CREngines »

Buy EQ heads. They are more money but worth it. That dart shp is just the old iron eagle stuff. The Eq head is similar to the rhs/ pro t heads. I have a set on my bench and i really like them.
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?
TEROL

Post by TEROL »

Edlebrock #60969 has similiar specs. Is the casting and machining good to go or does it need rework ?
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

CREngines wrote:Buy EQ heads. They are more money but worth it. That dart shp is just the old iron eagle stuff. The Eq head is similar to the rhs/ pro t heads. I have a set on my bench and i really like them.
X2 on the EQ (EngineQuest) heads.
http://www.aamidwest.com/enginequest/eq-cylinder-heads/

Several members on this board can get you a set.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
CREngines
Guru
Guru

Post by CREngines »

IMGP0528.JPG
Now these have a little work done to them but it gives you an idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I am now forced to look at the Dart SHP heads now that the supply of RHS iron heads have dried up.
For those that have used/seen them how do they compare. I have heard mixed reviews regarding power comparrisions
between them and the RHS head. I have been told they are like the old iron eagle heads. Back in the day they were a good piece but have fallen out of popularity with the new designs.

My supplier tells me they are available in 64 72 & 76cc versions. I have not found this detail on the Dart site but figured they just don't have everything up yet.
For the application it would be as a replacement for a GM head for marine engines. The RHS provided a better port design that yielded some great power and torque over the late model center bolt #217 GM heads.
This is also a pre vortec head application but I have not seen that Dart is making a vortec head replacement like the RHS head. Which was way better then a 906 or 062 GM heads.

I am just wanting to get hard facts related to these heads as they are billed as a s/r torquer type head
Thanks in advance
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
TEROL

Post by TEROL »

For what it's worth. Talked to Eric at Engine Quest about heads today. Their AU heads are cast in Singapore and machined here. Apparently they are not heat treated. Eric spent much time with me and answered all questions to my satisfaction. Should have them on Wednesday. Thanks for all the replies and advise. As a side note Eric indicated that EQ has something going to cast the former RHS iron heads.
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

TEROL wrote:For what it's worth. Talked to Eric at Engine Quest about heads today. Their AU heads are cast in Singapore and machined here. Apparently they are not heat treated. Eric spent much time with me and answered all questions to my satisfaction. Should have them on Wednesday. Thanks for all the replies and advise. As a side note Eric indicated that EQ has something going to cast the former RHS iron heads.
Not being heat treated that not a good sign.

My heads shipped today and are heat treated =D>
Machine shop tour
Monthly Specials
1997bird

Post by 1997bird »

TEROL wrote:For what it's worth. Talked to Eric at Engine Quest about heads today. Their AU heads are cast in Singapore and machined here. Apparently they are not heat treated. Eric spent much time with me and answered all questions to my satisfaction. Should have them on Wednesday. Thanks for all the replies and advise. As a side note Eric indicated that EQ has something going to cast the former RHS iron heads.
Their heads are heat treated. Maybe you missed it but they are heat treated here in the USA!
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

1997bird wrote:
Their heads are heat treated. Maybe you missed it but they are heat treated here in the USA!
I think we''re talking about different things. The EQ cast iron heads are cast in NZ (Toowamba) and are very nice castings. I've been using them since 2005 or so and have been very satisfied with the quality and performance.

I've never seen an Aluminum EQ head so I can't comment on them.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o