Jones Cam Design

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BlitzA64
Expert
Expert
Jones Cam Design

Post by BlitzA64 »

With all the Company bashing going on I would just like to thank Mike at Jones Cam. I gave him a bit of a difficult project as we had a heck of a time finding a cam blank for my engine but he stuck with it and got me a nice product at a more than fair price! Thanks Mike for the great customer service, I appreciate your help!
BLstangin
Re: Jones Cam Design

Post by BLstangin »

I also called Mike Jones for a camshaft for a circle track motor and he made some recommendations on what I should change first and recommended that I use my current cam first and see what happens. Its good to see someone willing to give honest advice instead of just trying to sell a product whether I needed it or not. A BIG thanks again to Mike for his advice and you can bet I'll be giving him a call if I do decide to make a cam change. =D>
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

He's a good guy. He has put up with alot of my cam questions for various applications. I ran one in my turbo 400 motor and it did everything I wanted from it. I was planning on one for my LS1 motor next but had to put that project aside....Mike gave me several recommendations for my goals with that car based on certain scenarios with the heads. I havent bought one yet but was planning on it in the future. I recommended him to a buddy of mine who just bought a cam for his 5.3 lsx carb setup. Cant wait to see how it runs. =D>
68rs406
Pro
Pro

Post by 68rs406 »

Me as well, awesome guy to work with and the cam turned out really nice. Even after my idiot bank somehow closed my checking acount and the check came back he called and was super nice about it. I have not run the motor yet but I'm quite sure I won't be disappointed!
Sean
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

By early next week, I hope to add my thumbs-up for camking's efforts, when we finally get our 302 SBF road racer on the rolls and confirm the butt dyno results for one of his solid roller bump-sticks.

(Don't know how he still finds time to out post me on the site, with his workload.. #-o)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
rick7343

Post by rick7343 »

Good to hear that he does, sometimes, answer questions...
Cobra720

Post by Cobra720 »

I gave Mike a call on a cam for my 2600lb. SBF cobra. I told him I planned on autocrossing, timed racing events on road racing courses, cruising, a trip to the drag strip once and a while and wanted a rough idle. Yeh "my cake and eat it too". He probably laughed under his breath but never flinched and gave me a cam, that, to my liking "does it all pretty dam good".
Mike, everything is running very well. Thanks alot
Lou
FloydODB
Pro
Pro

Post by FloydODB »

=D> me to
414sbc. solid roller dirt modified. customer said he's got what he needs to win races!
and a
347sbf solid roller street ford fairlane. not together but really nice looking cam. you can tell Mike takes pride in his work.
Daniel Brown
Accurate Engine Rebuilding
(269)930-1962
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Let me join in. :D I have ordered two camshafts from Mike and they have performed exceptionally well. I have nothing but praise for Mike.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

I had a friend/ customer with a flat bottom and a old 1970's roller grind loose a lifter and lobe and the main thing was the idle sound because he never went full tilt on the tunnel ram 427 with 2 660's. The second time out he called to tell me the boat went over 120 before he shut it down. I am still WTF is a 70 year old doing that, but the thing runs!!
The fastest the boat has been was 115 before. Jones cam was a great piece having the cast distributor gear for actually less money than a comp custom ground. 3 week at the time turn around is awesome also.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
jamie
Pro
Pro

Post by jamie »

Hey Mike,just dynoed the motor with your new cam.I dropped 400 lbs of open spring pressure over the old combo and made 1120 hp.Thanks Mike!
mach9
Pro
Pro

Post by mach9 »

I talked my brother into trying Mike for a "girly" hyd. roller for a 418" SBF with bone stock Victor Jr. Heads. After working out some chassis issues, so far it has gone 6.05 @ 112 MPH in the 1/8th. We are very pleased as well.
Mack Johnson
'86 Mustang Footbraker
Pump gas 347
6.435 @ 104
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

mach9 wrote:I talked my brother into trying Mike for a "girly" hyd. roller for a 418" SBF with bone stock Victor Jr. Heads. After working out some chassis issues, so far it has gone 6.05 @ 112 MPH in the 1/8th. We are very pleased as well.
That is getting it!! He does know what is going on.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

I had many people tell me that the car would never run my et goals with my girly mike jones cam. Was told that the dyno was loose. Well, It wowed alot of people, including my engine builder when it went 6.15@110. Car weights 3200 pounds. My goals were around 650 hp and would be durable. Based on that et, I am right around the 700 hp range. Last year, I freshened up my motor after a 1000 passes. All the springs looked good and were reused.. I changed out the lifters,to be on the safe side, but the way they look, I probably could have run them alot longer. Mike entertain all my questions, and his cams will do what he says they will. Getting a cam from his is a no-brainer when looking for that extra bit of hp.
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013
R.Olds
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Olds »

After one of my customers lost a dist gear on a 1050 core hyd roller (sbf)(cam was not from Mike), it made a mess of the engine. I found out that Mike has 3 piece ford cores now... =D>
Any street driven sbf I do now, will have one of Mikes cams in them.

Rick