Is this a Peterson TCM 25?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

nickmckinney
Guru
Guru

Is this a Peterson TCM 25?

Post by nickmckinney »

Found this for sale locally, everything else looks like a TCM 25 except the gear change is on the front. Anyone seen one before or know the difference on this model? Been searching and never found/seen another one like this.

db engines
Re: Is this a Peterson TCM 25?

Post by db engines »

Yes its a TCM,I had one of these years ago its a pretty old model.
nickmckinney
Guru
Guru

Post by nickmckinney »

I found a brochure from 1978 and the gear change was on the side then so this is mid 70's or earlier I imagine. It appears to be in really good shape, the paint is still good all around it even, and the price its a steal if everything works good. I think its going to come home with me.
JON JAMISON

Post by JON JAMISON »

In the early 70's Peterson Machine Tool were buying drill presses from Erlo in Spain. Erlo could not keep up with the supply so Iba (pictured) also from Spain supplied some drill presses. The last Iba drill was sold in about 1977. Peterson continued to supply the Erlo. The Erlo had 8 speeds as apposed to the Iba having 6. Both were very high quality.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Don't get me wrong, I think every shop should have a TCM25 type machine.

However, you should also have a machine to do seat work! :) I just don't see how a vertical mill and quality fixture wouldn't produce better results than that machine.
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Post by SMITHBERGRACING »

Here is the one I have which is a Variable Speed model (has a VFD) TCMV-25. It's a newer model and has done me pretty well over the years. Looking to purchase a mill in the near future and buy the CP Motorworks Fixture for an added option to what I do for valve jobs and head surfacing. I really like the variable speed to change on the fly!
http://www.cpmotorworks.com/ForSale/CPM ... fault.aspx
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

I purchaed two new mills, a 10x54 and a 9x49, both VFD. One has a cpmotorworks fixture and one has a HeadEx fixture and a HQT 10" shell mill. You would have a hell of a time taking either of them. Works well for me.
nickmckinney
Guru
Guru

Post by nickmckinney »

JON JAMISON wrote:In the early 70's Peterson Machine Tool were buying drill presses from Erlo in Spain. Erlo could not keep up with the supply so Iba (pictured) also from Spain supplied some drill presses. The last Iba drill was sold in about 1977. Peterson continued to supply the Erlo. The Erlo had 8 speeds as apposed to the Iba having 6. Both were very high quality.

Hi Jon, is this your first post? Welcome if so. So this is an Iba Spanish made machine? Hopefully its not going to need any repairs anytime soon.........

Couple locals prefer these TCM for doing valve jobs over the others, no way I could talk them into milling every valve job (nor myself, just too many heads to do every week) Never did a valve job with a TCM, only seat installs at a shop many years ago (we stoned all the seats back there) At the price I hope to have it here this week, its basically being given away.
nickmckinney
Guru
Guru

Post by nickmckinney »

SMITHBERGRACING wrote:Image

My friends shop has that same air float table on a Winona, I drool over it every time I am there. He said it came from a TCM he used to work on.

As long as the machine is good and the pilots are carbide, I don't foresee a problem using a TCM for 3D seat work unless I am missing something?
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

I use the 3D tooling on mine with either tool steel or carbide pilots. I really like the VFD option cause you can change speeds on the fly especially if you start to get a little chatter during the cut. Not sure how that works on the model you are getting?
nickmckinney
Guru
Guru

Post by nickmckinney »

Its basically the same OEM Ford powdered seat material over and over that I do 99% of the time (I only do a few different head models). Seems to work good dry at 60RPM or so with the 3D cutters.
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Yep I run 60 RPM on smaller valve stuff, a little slower on bigger valves. I've seen guys cut at 125 RPM but I don't know how they do it? #-o
I still get a nice finish that is concentric, all that really matters.